Author Topic: Mersey Roads '09  (Read 37642 times)

Mersey Roads '09
« on: 27 January, 2009, 05:58:48 pm »
I've just taken delivery of my RTTC CTT handbook, having been feeling guilty about not having one last year. 

Mersey Roads is listed as 25/26th July.  So anybody planning that far ahead yet?

I'm in I think aiming to ride solo this time, although may need to ride a couple of Audaxes on the Stealth between now and then to find out if it's comfortable enough...

AC
'Accumulating kilometres in the roughest road conditions'...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: Mersey Roads '09
« Reply #1 on: 27 January, 2009, 06:07:51 pm »
Mersey Roads is listed as 25/26th July.  So anybody planning that far ahead yet?
Yup - I plan to be registering for LEL that day!

I plan another bash at the 24h, possibly next year (when there are no local 1200s, and I'm still youngish), just to see what I can do without illness. I can't imagine doing it 2 years on the bounce even without LEL. However, there may be an attack on my (pathetic) club record, which I would have liked to support.

Will your stoker be providing competition?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #2 on: 27 January, 2009, 06:08:57 pm »
2010 for me, if I remember.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #3 on: 27 January, 2009, 10:14:39 pm »
I'm torn.

Do I have another crack at the Mersey Roads and try not to end up hospitalised and on crutches for a fortnight this time, or do I enter the London triathlon and risk drowning?

I can't do both as the London tri is the weekend straight after the MR, and if I do the MR I shan't be in a fit state to do anything the next weekend.

I have to make my mind up by Friday. 

Hmmmm.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #4 on: 02 February, 2009, 09:00:53 am »

Do I have another crack at the Mersey Roads and try not to end up hospitalised and on crutches for a fortnight this time, or do I enter the London triathlon and risk drowning?

Hmmmm.

Do LEL.  Take it easy and don't end up on crutches.  There is minimal risk of drowning

« Reply #5 on: 03 February, 2009, 09:42:36 pm »

Hmmmm.

Do LEL.  Take it easy and don't end up on crutches.  There is minimal risk of drowning

yet didn't a newbie to Tri actually drown a couple of years ago as a result of getting knocked unconcious just before the transition? It always seems a real scrum at the waters edge.

« Reply #6 on: 10 February, 2009, 08:26:25 pm »
I havn't ridden the MR 24 hour since a nasty tandem incident (nasty in that I rode tandem for 24 hours!) several years back. Time for another go this year I think but solo.

Need to do some training though according to my wife so I'm off for a roller session now (or possibly to the pub to meet some clubmates)

Martin

« Reply #7 on: 10 February, 2009, 08:31:20 pm »
I've heard a rumour that East Sussex Cycling Association are running a 24 in 2011

« Reply #8 on: 01 March, 2009, 06:16:20 pm »
I'm in for this year too.

What do I need? Membership of CTT or just to be joined to a CTT affiliated club?

Lycra Man

• SR 2011, 2012 & RRTY
« Reply #9 on: 02 March, 2009, 02:13:00 pm »
I am thinking of doing this as preparation for a 24 hour race round the Bugatti circuit at Le Man in August. (24 heures vélo au Mans 2009 > cyclosportive velo VTT vélo route cyclosportif cyclisme circuit le mans 24H)

As a total newbie to time trialing (not done any before) and 24 hour rides (not done any before) I am looking for advice(!)

I was directed to the 24hr Fellowship website, but can't get past the front page.

I thought that an Audax pace of 50 miles followed by a short break, would be a pace that I can follow. I have riden a 300km Audax which took 18.75 hours, and that was quite a relaxed pace.

Is there a resource of ride accounts, training regimes, and nutritional guidance you can guide me towards?

On the Mersey Roads, do most people go straight through without sleep breaks? Or is a power-nap advised?

Help much appreciated
Lycra Man

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: 02 March, 2009, 02:33:25 pm »
I just can't ride for 24 hours straight (well, not without some serious drugs, anyway) so if I'm riding again this year, I'll be planning in a power nap.  Last year I got about an hour and a half power nap as Liz was crocked and was having her legs rubbed the the fabulous and indomitable Annie.  Seeing as the situation was well in hand, I took the opportunity to get some much-needed zeds...

Many riders seem to manage the whole no-sleep-till-the-bell thing, though.  I don't know how they do it on just strong coffee and willpower.  I think it's very much up to the individual.  What I do know is that you should read every word that Teethgrinder has ever written on the subject of sleep and follow his advice to the letter.  That man knows whereof he speaks.

Riding a 24 isn't that hard (hey, we managed it!) but I think turning in anything over 400 miles is where it gets challenging.  If it's your first ride, just aim to stay on the bike for as long as you can and see what happens.

Oh - and drum up someone to support you and learn to eat and drink on the bike.  That's going to save you sooooo much time.

Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Really Ancien

« Reply #11 on: 02 March, 2009, 02:47:46 pm »
Loads of stuff about last year here,
Mersey 24 2008

Damon.

« Reply #12 on: 03 March, 2009, 10:25:54 am »
is a power-nap advised?

From (limited) experience of 300s to 600s :

I sometimes get to the end of a 300 without having to sleep, sometimes not. I can't plan ahead much, I have to stop when The Dozies strike, and 20 minutes is usually what it takes. Repeated, unpredictably, as necessary.

(Hoping to see you around, perhaps at the 24, if so my first TT also...   I remember your fine company on part of the HoE, probably 2 years ago.)

Lycra Man

• SR 2011, 2012 & RRTY
« Reply #13 on: 04 March, 2009, 11:45:46 pm »
Hi TonyH,

Yes I remember the HoE as a particulary fine day out. Perhaps we'll meet at the Mersey Roads.

One or two procedural questions:
1. What kind of club must I be a member of? Does YACF count?
2. Where do I send the Entry Form (which I have downloaded and filled in?
3. Entry fee was £15 last year. Same again for 2009

Oh and I need a bike. Now you see, my trusty Ridgback Meteor flat bar road bike is not going to work for the 24 heures Velo at Le Mans, because bar ends are banned. And I cannot consider riding it without bar ends for more that an hour.
Sooooooo, I'm thinking I'll buy a racing bike.
<feels like he's betraying the ethos of versatilty that hybrids bestow>
If I do, it's main purpose is to propel me as fast as possible on a silky smooth motor racing circuit, free of potholes, cats eyes, lumps and bumps.
The Mersey Roads is a prudent curtain raiser/test ride, on (less smooth) public roads.
But I can't justify spending - say - £1000 on a bike that will not also be versatile enough to take me on Audax rides.
I don't want a pure bred TT bike (24 heures Velo does not allow tri bars) so does anyone have any suggestions for a bike with drops, compact double chainset, and skinny high pressure tyres, that afterwards will have clearance for mudguards and fittings for rack, and all my Audaxy stuff?
TIA
Lycra Man

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #14 on: 05 March, 2009, 05:08:41 pm »
How about a Thorn Audax?

« Reply #15 on: 05 March, 2009, 05:14:27 pm »
so does anyone have any suggestions for a bike with drops, compact double chainset, and skinny high pressure tyres, that afterwards will have clearance for mudguards and fittings for rack, and all my Audaxy stuff?

Any Audax bike with mudguards and a rack. Just remove said items for the race.

Thorn Audax MK 3.
Aravis Audax/Hewitt Chiltern or Cheviott.
Dawes Audax (in various guises).
Van Nicholas Amazon/Yukon.
Condor Fratello (Steel) or Gran Fondo (Ti).
Mercian (custom or off the peg)
Roberts (custom or off the peg)
...etc...

Most audax bikes have wheels with rims that take 23-28mm tyres. Use slick 23mm for the 24 hour ride and replace with your favourite 25mm or 28mm for Audaxing.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #16 on: 05 March, 2009, 09:38:53 pm »

I'm currently reckoning on using my Audax bike (a Thorn) with rack and mudguards and all, for the 24.

« Reply #17 on: 11 March, 2009, 06:30:48 pm »
+1 for Condor Fratello,

It's served me AMAZINGLY well as an audax bike, winter bike, summer bike and TT bike. It's comfy (probably not as much as the Thorn or Titanium options), but has a killer kick from the bottom bracket, making it a fast ride if specced with half decent race wheels (I'm light and can get away with using 24 spoke wheels for audax).

« Reply #18 on: 11 March, 2009, 11:04:06 pm »
If I don't get in to LEL, I will do this instead. I will be on my Van Nic with 23mm tyres for either event. Guards on if LEL, guards off if MR. If I do MR I may well try TRI bars for the first time.

Watch this space....

« Reply #19 on: 14 March, 2009, 12:02:21 am »
My girlfriend got me some clip on Tri bars for xmas. Wonderful woman....

I've been trying them out and I recon that it's gonna take quite a few miles to get comfy and used to the position.

When I've tried them, I played around and counted 10-11 different hand positions on my drop bars with clip on tri's. I'll definitely use them for longer audax events. LEL allows them as far as i know, so I'd definitely consider using them.

« Reply #20 on: 16 March, 2009, 08:28:52 pm »
veering abit off topic I know, but what is the audax line on using tribars?

When I first watched riders using them for long distance time trials I couldnt believe that they could hold that position for so long but if you get the position right with the extension quite long so the cups are nearer your elbow that wrist they are fantastic for riding 24 hours etc. Wouldn't be without them. Are they allowed for PBP? Anyone know?

Really Ancien

« Reply #21 on: 16 March, 2009, 08:34:22 pm »
They are not allowed on PBP.

Damon.

« Reply #22 on: 17 March, 2009, 09:38:50 pm »
They are not allowed on PBP.

Damon.

not even if you ride in the wacky bike section?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #23 on: 18 March, 2009, 01:14:38 pm »
... nor even in the wacky baccy section.

Although they are allowed on just about every other Audax, it is Very Bad Form to use them in a group*, for good safety reasons.

I'd recommend anyone intending to use them in July to get practicing NOW. I bought mine in January, and was only just really comfortable on the Mersey. (I didn't use them uphill as a deliberate change of position. Or when eating.)

*(unless on the front doing all the work)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #24 on: 06 April, 2009, 04:21:29 pm »
Just did a 360k ride this weekend and although it was a bit lumpy around Clitheroe / Settle, I tried using the tri bars as much as possible.

I found out that the tri bars are comfy, but that my neck has to work harder to keep my head up. The back of my neck was getting tired after only 100k. Are there any exercises to help strengthen this or should I just get more hours in on the tri bars?

I also found that I could ride for 24 hours with minimal stops, and stay awake for 30 hours  :thumbsup: without too much trouble. Only 2 attacks of the dozies and a couple of pro plus quickly sorted each of these out. The only issue now is the distance. This is the big thing for this year and I ideally want to aim for a 600k in the 24.

Any advice on a training plan? I need to sit down with a coffee and have a good look through the articles on http://www.ultracycling.com they seem really good for this sort of competetive distance riding.