Author Topic: Hop Garden rides  (Read 1269 times)

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
Hop Garden rides
« on: 10 May, 2018, 05:03:33 pm »
Having just opened a window of possibility to ride this weekend, I looked at the Hop Garden rides and was somewhat dismayed to see that the 200km no longer goes to Dungeness.  I only rode it once back in 2014 - did it change some time ago? Now considering whether to ECE the century ride instead given the need to ride out from and back to London anyway.
Anyone else doing either of these?

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
Re: Hop Garden rides
« Reply #1 on: 10 May, 2018, 07:20:05 pm »
If it helps here's my tracklog for the 200 from last year, along with the ride out to the start. To get home I took the HS1 from Gravesend to Stratford, which takes just over 15 minutes. However, I don't know if that train is tandem friendly or not.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1733659904

I won't be riding this year as I am heading north to the do the Old 240.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2 on: 10 May, 2018, 07:48:28 pm »
It had a change of organiser a few years ago and the route has consequently changed a fair bit. Tbh, it’s not really the same ride that you did before.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #3 on: 10 May, 2023, 08:25:58 pm »
Had a good day out on the 2023 edition of the Hop Garden 200 on Sunday. Weather was perfect, dry all day, a fair bit of sunshine but not too hot - especially given that it had chucked it down for most of the Saturday, and then rained again on Monday! Early on was the crossing of the Medway on a massive road bridge with a dedicated cycle path. Then rolling terrain with a few sharper hills, as we roughly followed the Pilgrims Way through Hollingbourne and Charing. By Wye it was even sunny enough that I had to stop and put some sun cream on.

After a quick snack at the railway cafe at Hythe, I pushed on over the Romney Marshes to New Romney and Appledore. This bit was flat as a pancake, and relatively windless, so easy riding, and quite pleasant, with hardly any traffic. Later on a few of us came across a huge street party at Yalding, and it took a little while to pick our way through the very jolly crowds on foot. The last 10km had a sting in the tail, with the climb of Birling Hill, which felt a lot longer than the last time I did it.

All in all a very enjoyable route,  with some nice country roads, excellent scenery, a good mix of hills and easier sections, and mostly very light traffic. This is the second time I have done it now, and will definitely be repeating it again. Thanks to Patrick and helpers for a great event.

Sadly, there was a rider who came a cropper on the first stage, just after Hollingbourne, on a short section of road that had a sudden thick layer of slippery mud on a bend. Patrick had warned us about this very section in the pre-ride briefing. By the time I got there he was sitting up, and a few people were waiting with him for an ambulance to arrive. Very unfortunate, and I hope his injuries weren't too bad.