Author Topic: Little Eye On The Crazy World Of Foreigners  (Read 132431 times)

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
Re: Little Eye On The Crazy World Of Foreigners
« Reply #200 on: 04 October, 2019, 04:07:51 pm »
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #201 on: 04 October, 2019, 05:52:24 pm »
When I was a PSO, I had a housemate with a T-shirt featuring the old, rainbow-striped, Mega-Global Fruit Corp logo, and the caption "F*ck different.".  So they clearly have form for this sort of thing.   ;D

« Reply #202 on: 10 October, 2019, 09:59:17 pm »
While on the subject of places apparently not existing - or at least, going missing from maps...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/aug/24/russia-today-puts-japan-on-the-map-where-new-zealand-should-be

Then there's this one, used by $US_GOVERNMENT_DEPARTMENT:

Ye Mappe by Mr Larrington, on Flickr

No, it wasn't an historical article.
Dorpat, Kovno & Vilna - ahhh, I remember them! But they'd changed the names by the time I got there, & taken away the border between Kovno & Vilna.

Perhaps this was the result of some almost but not quite completely brain dead junior drone being aware that Estonia, Latvia & Lithuania had become independent with the fall of the USSR - & only being aware of that.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Edd

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #204 on: 11 October, 2019, 04:59:41 pm »
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #206 on: 12 October, 2019, 12:11:32 pm »
when the headline starts with "Florida man … "

My work here is done.  ;D

<exits stage left, pursued by a bear an alligator>
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Steph

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #208 on: 15 October, 2019, 08:00:58 pm »
Good case of geographical nominative determinism there.

« Reply #209 on: 15 October, 2019, 10:35:44 pm »
First thing the chap does is hit the beers.  Getting his priorities right  ;)
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #210 on: 02 November, 2019, 06:07:09 am »

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/31/us/politics/trump-new-york-florida-primary-residence.html

Perhaps he wants to take credit for all of the crazed things "Florida Man" is about to do

« Reply #211 on: 02 November, 2019, 02:05:15 pm »

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/31/us/politics/trump-new-york-florida-primary-residence.html

Perhaps he wants to take credit for all of the crazed things "Florida Man" is about to do

Covered that in the Trump thread in P&OBI - it's possibly more to do with him being up the creek financially, and Florida protects your primary residence from seizure if you declare bankruptcy.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #212 on: 02 November, 2019, 02:06:47 pm »
Halloween in Japan...

One of the many awesome things about Halloween in Japan is the annual "Mundane Halloween" costume contest sponsored by website @dailyportalz

The goal is to dress up like some mundane, everyday situation.

Here is a thread of my favorites from this year!

Thread: https://twitter.com/nick_kapur/status/1190108711576051712

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #214 on: 02 November, 2019, 09:10:38 pm »
The kit, labelled by manufacturers as the ‘best baby gender reveal ever’, involves parents-to-be firing a rifle at an explosive powder-filled tub which bursts in a blast of blue or pink.
How very...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #215 on: 02 November, 2019, 09:19:34 pm »
The kit, labelled by manufacturers as the ‘best baby gender reveal ever’, involves parents-to-be firing a rifle at an explosive powder-filled tub which bursts in a blast of blue or pink.
How very...

Yes, I had to look that one up.  It appears to be a novelty product from an established molisher of exploding targets (the idea being that you can see whether you've hit them from a long way away).

ian

« Reply #216 on: 03 November, 2019, 12:13:49 pm »
On some massively fundamental level I just don't get the entire 'gender reveal' thing.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #217 on: 03 November, 2019, 12:30:09 pm »
On some massively fundamental level I just don't get the entire 'gender reveal' thing.

A pregnant woman baked a cake once, and it got completely out of hand.  I assume it appeals to people's sense of heteronormativity, or something.  I dunno, if I had a baby, I'd be trying not to reveal its sex, so I completely fail to grok.

That the USAnians use it as an excuse to shoot at things is the least baffling bit.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #218 on: 03 November, 2019, 01:39:38 pm »
You do not need to speak German to get the gist of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I46SII5c34w.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #220 on: 07 November, 2019, 09:07:56 pm »

Steph

« Reply #221 on: 08 November, 2019, 09:03:47 am »

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #222 on: 08 November, 2019, 10:59:23 am »
Canada's Quebec province has denied immigrant status to a French citizen because she was unable to demonstrate adequate French-language proficiency.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-50241254

??? :facepalm:
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

ian

« Reply #223 on: 08 November, 2019, 11:52:52 am »
They do try to be Frencher than the French (who, being French, mock their bastardized form of French). Even the STOP signs are ARRÊT. And when they do the double-language thing, they put the English in teeny-tiny letters.

Steph

« Reply #224 on: 08 November, 2019, 12:14:00 pm »
They also get a lot of grief from the First Nations, who not unreasonably point out that they were there well before the French.

At Shrewsbury Festival, a French-Canadian band mocked the celebration of so many centuries of Canada on the basis of how long Montreal has been there. From the audience:

"You not heard of Newfoundland, then?"

Similar note: The Chair were playing during Indyref, and some topless wanker in a kilt decided to wave a huge saltire flag in the mosh pit, blocking views of the stage. The Chair, a damned good band, unrolled a huge flag of their own. An Orkney one. There were also a few comments from them re not being 'Scoatish'.