Author Topic: Letting the driver know that they are too close  (Read 7063 times)

Re: Letting the driver know that they are too close
« Reply #50 on: 02 March, 2010, 06:56:58 pm »
In fact, doesn't the little bald chap have previous for sitting in front of things?  Or was that Arthur Dent.

Laying your bike in front of a vehicle is a very effective stop.  The "this is getting complicated" light comes on; it's particularly good with buses.
This can be very dangerous!

I once tried stopping in front of a woman driver (to discuss her deliberate bad driving). She proceeded to deliberately drive straight at me. I was ubable to reverse out of the way in time and she drove over (completly wrecking) the front wheel before driving off without stopping. If I'd been a fraction of a second slower it would have been my foot/leg under her wheel.

I'd only do something like that with my crap bike. If they threatened to run me over I'd chuck it through their windscreen before they hit me then leg it. If that's the way they want it...

« Reply #51 on: 02 March, 2010, 08:18:36 pm »
I think that even when the driver strongly denies any wrong doing, letting them know they were too close does have a significant effect.  They may not admit it at the time, but they tend to pass further out next time round.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

simonp

« Reply #52 on: 02 March, 2010, 08:24:22 pm »
Idiots abounded today; particularly the woman who passed close with oncoming traffic when I was riding well out to pass a van parked on the pavement; the two drivers who overtook me close whilst I was passing parked cars in marked bays on Kings Hedges Road; the taxi driver who decided to attempt an overtake on a blind 90 degree right hand bend on the way home tonight.  And it was such a lovely day, too.

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #53 on: 06 March, 2010, 04:56:09 pm »
I did feel a bit naked without my Airzound today.  As I was going through the squeezy bit in Oxshott,  I was subjected to a 'must pass the cyclist' dangerous shave. 

Nevermind,  the oncoming vehicle with which the tosser very nearly collided gave a blast on my behalf.

What is it with these people?

« Reply #54 on: 06 March, 2010, 06:09:23 pm »
Had an audi overtake me today.  Not really terribly, but definitely too close, and pushing through in a junction with other traffic movements, and double white lines.  I gave my usual loud OI OI and pushed out to the right, and the driver braked for a bit.  Then they refused to pass the cyclist ahead of me for ages, LOL!
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #55 on: 06 March, 2010, 08:17:42 pm »

I'd only do something like that with my crap bike. If they threatened to run me over I'd chuck it through their windscreen before they hit me then leg it. If that's the way they want it...
This is why I need to get a bike light enough that I can lift it!
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #56 on: 06 March, 2010, 09:47:04 pm »

This is why I need to get a bike light enough that I can lift it!

It's all in the technique,