Author Topic: Whitby - Halloween?  (Read 32699 times)

Whitby - Halloween?
« on: 13 September, 2011, 09:28:09 am »
Whitby goth weekend this year is 6-7th November - the very end - which coincidentally is more than 6 weeks away. 

Dare we start planning now?

November is rather late in the year - which may imply ICE and SNO. While I personally have no objections to SNO, I'm not fond of riding on ice in the dark.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Re: Whitby - Halloween?
« Reply #1 on: 13 September, 2011, 09:31:50 am »
Myself and CL were discussing this the other day, in relation to her possibly being back on the bike for it.

Sounds like a plan, same(ish) route as last time?
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #2 on: 13 September, 2011, 09:37:24 am »
The route was hard to fault - although I'd be inclined to pull off into the pine plantation rather than freeze in the layby. And I would bring fiery stove of warmth this time, possibly with marshmallows.

MsCharly is keen, particularly if it involves steam trains (I don't think she's quite up to riding up Blue Bank yet).

There was a York lass from CC on the Hull ride who was interested in doing this ride - she travelled back on train with CL and Linda.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #3 on: 13 September, 2011, 11:13:13 am »
Yep, I'm interested.

I didn't get to do this last year and it sounded like a fun ride :)

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #4 on: 13 September, 2011, 12:38:21 pm »
Yep,I'm interested.

I didn't get to do it last year and it sounded like a fun ride :)

;D

will you be on fixed hulver?

tiermat

« Reply #5 on: 13 September, 2011, 12:40:42 pm »
I am hoping to acheive several things this year:

1) get all the way to Whitby without b0rking my knee (having a bike that fits me properly will probably help with this)
2) Go down Blue Bank without touching the brakes (achieving 1 will help this)
3) ride back to Helmsley for ice cream with Mrs T and TLD, as we planned for last year.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 13 September, 2011, 12:47:21 pm »
I have unfinished business with this one, having DNSed last year's at the last minute on account of Stupid Knees.  I bought light-up skulls for my bike and everything, so obviously I'm up for it.

Choice of bike dependant on conditions.  The ninja goth bike may be better suited to winter skog.

mrcharly: I assume you've typoed the dates.  Goth weekend is the 4th-6th of November.  I suppose that makes this year's theme 'explosives'  :demon:

« Reply #7 on: 13 September, 2011, 12:49:21 pm »
Possibly interested. Which night would this be on Friday or Saturday?

tiermat

« Reply #8 on: 13 September, 2011, 12:50:19 pm »
I am presuming Friday, as that seems to be the default, so 4th Nov.

« Reply #9 on: 13 September, 2011, 01:06:55 pm »
I have unfinished business with this one, having DNSed last year's at the last minute on account of Stupid Knees.  I bought light-up skulls for my bike and everything, so obviously I'm up for it.

Choice of bike dependant on conditions.  The ninja goth bike may be better suited to winter skog.

mrcharly: I assume you've typoed the dates.  Goth weekend is the 4th-6th of November.  I suppose that makes this year's theme 'explosives'  :demon:
Their website says 3rd-7th - so I was just quoting the weekend dates.

Tiermat - I'm not sure even tigerbiten made it down blue bank without touching brakes - that 90degree bend makes it a bit difficult!

Kim, if you haven't ridden the north york moors, the hills aren't anywhere near as bad as tan hill. The southerly slopes are just a long slog, nothing steep. You're pretty good at dealing with those sorts of hills.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #10 on: 13 September, 2011, 01:08:52 pm »
Count me in. I hope someone is going to re-erect the Christmas tree for this year. It was a rather peculiar sight - sat by the roadside in the middle of nowhere.

« Reply #11 on: 13 September, 2011, 01:13:28 pm »
Kim, if you haven't ridden the north york moors, the hills aren't anywhere near as bad as tan hill. The southerly slopes are just a long slog, nothing steep. You're pretty good at dealing with those sorts of hills.

Correction: THESE hills aren't anywhere near as bad as Tan Hill. I'd cycle Tan Hill any day before say White Horse Bank, Rosedale Chimney or Levisham Bank. I have to agree with mrcharly that the hills on the whitby route are just "steady away" though.

hulver

« Reply #12 on: 13 September, 2011, 01:16:13 pm »
Count me in. I hope someone is going to re-erect the Christmas tree for this year. It was a rather peculiar sight - sat by the roadside in the middle of nowhere.

The Christmas tree is still there! At least it was in June when I went over to Whitby.

Yep,I'm interested.

I didn't get to do it last year and it sounded like a fun ride :)

;D

will you be on fixed hulver?

Maybe :)

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #13 on: 13 September, 2011, 01:25:17 pm »
I'm contemplating a tandem ride with SDS :-\

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #14 on: 13 September, 2011, 01:25:39 pm »

Indeed.  I had a good look at the route profile last year and decided that under normal conditions it was going to be all about how much I trust my lights/tyres on the way down, rather than knees/lungs on the way up.

:thumbsup:

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #15 on: 13 September, 2011, 02:20:24 pm »

Correction: THESE hills aren't anywhere near as bad as Tan Hill. I'd cycle Tan Hill any day before say White Horse Bank, Rosedale Chimney or Levisham Bank. I have to agree with mrcharly that the hills on the whitby route are just "steady away" though.

I'm glad you typed that. My recollection of the N. York Moors was that they were full of 1 in 5s.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #16 on: 13 September, 2011, 02:40:55 pm »
<nods respectfully towards Adam>
I respectfully have to disagree with the learned gentleman.

The south-side slopes are gradual.
The north-side slopes are steep.
The east/west slopes (such as Rosedale chimney) are vertical.

white horse bank is an anomaly and doesn't cross the moors.

There are only about 3 roads running north-south (discounting the valley roads that rise to join the main routes).

Last year we took the most major of the roads, which was damn near deserted at night. It's also the most gentle route, so gentle in fact that the learned gentleman managed to ride it without realising he was carrying many kilograms of totally superfluous luggage. What was it again?  A complete set of timetables for the UK, a transformer and a hammer?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

hulver

« Reply #17 on: 13 September, 2011, 03:09:26 pm »
Doable on Fixed then?  ;D

« Reply #18 on: 13 September, 2011, 03:12:44 pm »
It would be a long winch up. (did deano do it on fixed last year).

There is one short steep hill, just after Blue bank and before whitby. some people walked that last year - they didn't expect it, came round a corner and were caught in the wrong gear.

You might find the downs a big tiring unless you crank a big gear.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #19 on: 13 September, 2011, 06:08:11 pm »
It was a lovely easy ride to Whitby.    I seem to remember a few _slight_ inclines on the route we took back to York, mainly around Castle Howard.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Whitby - Halloween?
« Reply #20 on: 13 September, 2011, 06:28:41 pm »
Mmmm daughters birthday so may be awkward. Although if I drive across then ride back to York after it may be doable . Will have to work on this one! Im a probable!

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #21 on: 13 September, 2011, 06:30:35 pm »
Put me down as a Definite Probable.

Is this an FNR?  Dep. York at some late hour, after a scrum on Friday evening trains?  I'll be needed back in Derby on the Saturday night to set light to two Metric Tripolis of fireworks, as our Rowing Club like to see out the year (kind of) with a Bang.   (We missed last year, as the firing zone was a building site.)

Orange Bling it is.  Or maybe Grasshopper?  Who knows?  (Who cares?)
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #22 on: 13 September, 2011, 06:42:32 pm »
I'm assuming it would be Friday night ride.

I should have come back from tour the week before so hopefully will know how my stove works by then. Depending on climatic conditions I think the cape will reappear as well :D
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #23 on: 13 September, 2011, 07:01:40 pm »
Envious sounds a hoot.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #24 on: 13 September, 2011, 07:16:43 pm »
The NYMR timetable only runs up to October atm. Looking at the fares list Whitby-Pickering is £13 for adults +£2 for the bike. If anyone is under 16 then it's £6.50 + the £2.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!