Author Topic: Tent pics...  (Read 215732 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: Tent pics...
« Reply #500 on: 15 August, 2016, 09:10:29 am »
Which pub?

It was called The Huntsman and Hounds. Rode past, saw a sign that said camping and since I'd had enough for the day stayed there.

Ah yes, we stayed there some years ago.  Are the showers still simply attached to the wall of a storeroom?  ;D

« Reply #501 on: 15 August, 2016, 10:04:44 am »
Which pub?

It was called The Huntsman and Hounds. Rode past, saw a sign that said camping and since I'd had enough for the day stayed there.

Ah yes, we stayed there some years ago.  Are the showers still simply attached to the wall of a storeroom?  ;D

There was a shower room with two showers next to a store room (in the same building, with a partition wall between them). Not the best shower facilities though- there was a horrible soggy carpet tile in front of the shower pan that I managed to step on after I'd put my socks back on.

I ordered a cheddar salad for lunch because I wanted some lettuce and tomato and stuff after eating little but service station and Spar food on the previous day. It was mostly chips and cheese, the sort of amount of cheese that I'd normally buy to last a week or more. They had a local beer on that was pretty good.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #502 on: 15 August, 2016, 10:43:16 am »
I recall it wasn't the best pub / campsite combo but things do seem to have improved a bit. It's a shame as there are too few campsites in the Chelmsford / Maldon area.

« Reply #503 on: 15 August, 2016, 02:00:23 pm »
I recall it wasn't the best pub / campsite combo but things do seem to have improved a bit. It's a shame as there are too few campsites in the Chelmsford / Maldon area.

There aren't many! my usual tactic of not booking and hoping for the best didn't go so well. Two or three of the campsites marked on my recent OS map are now caravan-only sites. I did see one other pub campsite earlier in the day and I was making my way back to that when I chanced upon the Huntsman.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #504 on: 15 August, 2016, 02:18:09 pm »
Where were you heading to when you happened across The Huntsman?

« Reply #505 on: 15 August, 2016, 03:34:35 pm »
I stayed near Maldon on the first night (Osea park, caravan place with a couple of fields for tents, expensive) then did a bit of a circuit of the Dengie peninsula. I was heading back from Burnham to a pub I'd passed earlier on the road B1018- possibly near Steeple which had camping (from Streetview I can see this was probably the Sun and Anchor)

« Reply #506 on: 15 August, 2016, 03:45:54 pm »
such fun to erect a simple tent and create a peaceful space.

We should totally do a den-building weekend sometime  ;D

Sounds like an excellent idea.
One of the frustrations of working with Scouts is that they get to do all this good shit, whilst we look on from the sidelines. I'd be up for it, should I be in the right country at the right time.

I know a place, in Gloucestershire, in the woods, a little scout group campsite, with a pub a short ish walk away.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #507 on: 15 August, 2016, 03:54:09 pm »
I stayed near Maldon on the first night (Osea park, caravan place with a couple of fields for tents, expensive) then did a bit of a circuit of the Dengie peninsula. I was heading back from Burnham to a pub I'd passed earlier on the road B1018- possibly near Steeple which had camping (from Streetview I can see this was probably the Sun and Anchor)

OK, thanks, I might take a toddle out that way and see what I can find.

If you're ever in the area again let us know.  As you might have detected there's a good deal of yacf activity in Essex.

« Reply #508 on: 16 August, 2016, 07:37:52 pm »

Did my first wild camp last night, hoping to finally have a clear sky and a view of the last of the Perseid meteors.

All good ...except for the meteors  >:(

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #509 on: 17 August, 2016, 04:23:51 pm »
Hi Nikki, please tell us what make and model of tent you have please? Thanks, Dave C
@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #510 on: 17 August, 2016, 05:39:22 pm »

My new Luxe Hexpeak v4a complete with Brompton and luggage in the porch!

This tent has loads of space for one, and you can even get a 2 person inner for it (not sure that you would fit the Brompton in then...)

Love it, it survived some gnarrly storms on the Isle of Man recently.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #511 on: 17 August, 2016, 07:27:07 pm »
Hi Nikki, please tell us what make and model of tent you have please? Thanks, Dave C

It's a Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2, reviewed here: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=84480.0

« Reply #512 on: 17 August, 2016, 11:13:45 pm »
Inside looking out

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #513 on: 20 August, 2016, 08:44:48 pm »
Jack Wolfskin Skydome II, on an island in a fjord in the Lofoten Islands, N or the Arctic Circle. The island is joined to the mainland by 2 causeways - it's a shortcut so you don't have to right round the fjord.

Wild Camp by John Spooner, on Flickr

et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #514 on: 20 August, 2016, 10:10:00 pm »

my helsport ringstind* by a stream somewhere in yorkshire.

* - I admit it, I mainly bought it because the name made me giggle.   Great tent though, < 2kg, lots of space for 2 tall folk.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #515 on: 20 August, 2016, 10:45:46 pm »
Inside looking out

Expansive view there.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #516 on: 20 August, 2016, 11:54:23 pm »
Jack Wolfskin Skydome II, on an island in a fjord in the Lofoten Islands, N or the Arctic Circle. The island is joined to the mainland by 2 causeways - it's a shortcut so you don't have to right round the fjord.

[img height=480 width=640]https://c5.staticflickr.com/9/8469/28492017764_b744039464_c.jpg[/img]Wild Camp by John Spooner, on Flickr

The Lofotens are gorgeous, one of my most fondly remembered tours.   https://www.flickr.com/photos/andrewclark/albums/72157622365574201

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

billplumtree

• Plumbing the well of gitness
« Reply #517 on: 21 August, 2016, 08:32:52 am »
The Lofotens are gorgeous, one of my most fondly remembered tours.   https://www.flickr.com/photos/andrewclark/albums/72157622365574201
Thanks Andrew - I've been thinking about a Lofoten trip, there's plenty of inspiration there.  Where did you get to?

Looking forward to more inspiration from Salvatore too...

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #518 on: 21 August, 2016, 10:18:55 am »
Thanks Andrew - I've been thinking about a Lofoten trip, there's plenty of inspiration there.  Where did you get to?

Looking forward to more inspiration from Salvatore too...

Bill, I'm sure you'd love the Lofotens. I had ridden from the south of Norway (Kristiansand) to the coast then north on route 17, and at times I wondered if I would become blasé about the stupendous views of fjords and snowcapped mountains every day. But there was no chance of that once I reached the Lofotens. The ferry from Bodø arrived at Moskones at 7:30pm, but I hadn't done much that day, and my legs were still fresh, and that far north in mid-June it wasn't going to get dark, so I just rode off into the evening. It was a magical cycling experience, through little fishing villages (smelling of rotting fish), with the sun, sky, sea and mountains putting on an every-changing light show, which went on and on. It wasn't until it got very cold at about 2 and I began to wonder if the views were real or some exaggerated film backdrop. Whenever the road turned inland it wasn't long before it reached the sea again. At about 2 am tiredness and cold got the better of me near here and I pitched my tent in a clearing at the side of the road.
Wild Camp by John Spooner, on Flickr

Most cyclists I met had the same strategy as I had - 3 or 4 nights wild camping then a night in a paid campsite for showering shaving, charging gadgets etc. I wondered if a hammock might have been useful, as there are plenty of trees, and it's often difficult to find an ideal wild-camping spot because of stones, undergrowth, density of forest, absence of a square inch of flat ground etc etc etc. But a hammock would need the addition of robust and effective mosquito netting.

billplumtree

« Reply #519 on: 21 August, 2016, 11:11:12 am »
Thanks John.  Inspiration level duly raised...

« Reply #520 on: 21 August, 2016, 11:25:02 am »
I flew to Bodo via Oslo & got a ferry the next morning.  Mostly wild camping by the road or shore. I had no insect trouble in July & I'm usually a mozzie magnet.

I remember 1 long & scary tunnel! Got as far north as Andenes on the Vesteralen group, then picked up & stomach bug which spoilt the next few days :-(

Ferry back to Bodo for a flight back. Wideroe were great, BA were bastards & tried to do me for excess baggage!

billplumtree

« Reply #521 on: 21 August, 2016, 11:41:42 am »
And notched up a tad further!  Ta

« Reply #522 on: 22 August, 2016, 07:53:16 am »
I went back the next year on the ferry to Bergen. Worked my way up to Floro & then got a fast ferry back to the start.  https://www.flickr.com/photos/andrewclark/albums/72157601944187049/page1   

Cool & wet in September,  including the worst all day rain I've ever ridden in!

I wish they'd start the ferry up again  :(

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #523 on: 25 August, 2016, 03:56:36 pm »
I went back the next year on the ferry to Bergen. Worked my way up to Floro & then got a fast ferry back to the start.  https://www.flickr.com/photos/andrewclark/albums/72157601944187049/page1   

Cool & wet in September,  including the worst all day rain I've ever ridden in!

I wish they'd start the ferry up again  :(

Wow!!

In June 2005, I took that ferry (from Newcastle to Bergen) to scuba dive wrecks, off a British live-a-board north between Bergen and Flora. Your images look similar to my memories, Norway is beautiful and the scenery is astounding! Cheers for sharing.
@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #524 on: 27 August, 2016, 09:57:07 am »
In contrast the main ferries I used were Newhaven-Dieppe, Hitrshals-Kristiansand, Helsinki-Tallinn, Tallinn-Stockholm,  Trellleborg-Travemünde, Ouistreham-Portsmouth, plus dozens of shorter ferry crossings.

Back on topic, my tent somewhere near the top of that map, in the no-mans land between taiga and tundra. It's at the northern extremity of the area where trees will grow, and then it's only these sparse stunted birch trees which spend much of the year buried in snow. So it isn't quite tundra, and it definitely isn't taiga. Whatever the stunted vegetation is which covers the ground, it's nice and springy which makes it rather comfortable to sleep on.