Author Topic: The Good News Thread  (Read 1108489 times)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Re: The Good News Thread
« Reply #1625 on: 22 November, 2009, 08:18:52 pm »
oh oh oh forgot we got tickets to see Ed Byrne at Hammersmith Apollo this Thursday, now stomach get ready to larf and larf and larf :)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #1626 on: 22 November, 2009, 08:25:32 pm »
Went to see Ms Manotea the Elder in the Fresher's performance of "The Grand Duke", a lesser known Gilbert & Sullivan.

<Young Mr Grace>
They all did very well
</Young Mr Grace>

gordon taylor

« Reply #1627 on: 22 November, 2009, 08:28:03 pm »
Booked a flight to go and see my new grandson in New Zealand next Easter.
He'll be eight months old by then.

Yippeeee!

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1628 on: 22 November, 2009, 08:42:29 pm »

Yippeeee!

:thumbsup: excellent news :thumbsup:

« Reply #1629 on: 22 November, 2009, 08:44:13 pm »

Yippeeee!

Taking a child seat with you?!  ;) (in addition to the bike)
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

« Reply #1630 on: 23 November, 2009, 12:26:01 am »
Went to see Ms Manotea the Elder in the Fresher's performance of "The Grand Duke", a lesser known Gilbert & Sullivan.

I shall look out for her name at the Minack (a regular annual visit with the in-laws).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #1631 on: 23 November, 2009, 10:02:01 am »
My 2009 mileage objective was 1500 miles, which I achieved yesterday  :thumbsup:

I appreciate 1500 miles in a year is tiddly compared with what some of you do but I can't commute to work and have to fit cycling around family commitments.  I'm really pleased as it the most miles I have done since returning to cycling in late 2004.

I think I will try for 2000 next year.

« Reply #1632 on: 23 November, 2009, 10:34:48 am »
Cool, OD. That's a perfectly respectable amount :D.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1633 on: 23 November, 2009, 10:35:31 am »
Well done, that man :)
Getting there...

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1634 on: 23 November, 2009, 10:39:21 am »
 :-* to both of you.  You're so nice!

2000 for next year should be achieveable as I am now drinking riding each Wednesday night and we have our French tour as well.  Which reminds me, I had better phone Bike Express today or it will all be off!

« Reply #1635 on: 23 November, 2009, 02:24:56 pm »
The refuse collectors strike is over.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1636 on: 23 November, 2009, 03:26:05 pm »
Well, I hope that's good news, in that I trust we aren't seeing capitulation to massive pay cuts.
Getting there...

Bluebottle

• Everybody's gotta be somewhere
« Reply #1637 on: 23 November, 2009, 10:45:54 pm »
Hoorah!  Just finished reading (and correcting) the final version of my student's PhD thesis. :D

Two more theses to read. ::-)
Dieu, je vous soupçonne d'être un intellectuel de gauche.

FGG #5465

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1638 on: 23 November, 2009, 11:26:27 pm »
:-* to both of you.  You're so nice!

2000 for next year should be achieveable as I am now drinking riding each Wednesday night and we have our French tour as well.  Which reminds me, I had better phone Bike Express today or it will all be off!

Miles while under the influence count double.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #1639 on: 23 November, 2009, 11:35:47 pm »
The bad news is that I have to find out why one of our lavatories is not flushing properly. Well, it's flushing but not emptying the bowl properly. :-X

The good news is that I'm leaving this job until tomorrow. :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1640 on: 24 November, 2009, 11:42:18 am »
I have just made a booking on the European Bike Express.  It looks like the three of us are going cycle camping en France for a fortnight next August.  Gulp!  We've never done anything like this before.  I'm excited and nervous already.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #1641 on: 24 November, 2009, 06:42:31 pm »
The bad news is that I have to find out why one of our lavatories is not flushing properly. Well, it's flushing but not emptying the bowl properly. :-X

The even better news is that the problem seemed to be some 8 metres outside our boundary, so the nice man & lady from Anglian Water came along. Firstly they pulled up an inspection cover at the end of the road and I got to see where people can climb down into all the shit and walk along early 20th century brick-built sewers. Then he used his mega-drain-rods and after he had fitted 4 of them in, he started shoving and all the shit that had accumulated under our inspection cover gurgled away into the bowels of the earth.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1642 on: 24 November, 2009, 06:47:28 pm »
^^^^^^
TMI :sick:

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #1643 on: 25 November, 2009, 07:19:44 pm »
I met my new bike today.  And I liked it :)

Zoidburg

« Reply #1644 on: 25 November, 2009, 07:24:42 pm »

The even better news is that the problem seemed to be some 8 metres outside our boundary, so the nice man & lady from Anglian Water came along. Firstly they pulled up an inspection cover at the end of the road and I got to see where people can climb down into all the shit and walk along early 20th century brick-built sewers. Then he used his mega-drain-rods and after he had fitted 4 of them in, he started shoving and all the shit that had accumulated under our inspection cover gurgled away into the bowels of the earth.
At least it isn't a high rise flat, I know several chaps who do the council jobs, there is nothing quite like a blocked soil pipe on the ground floor with a 30 meter column of shit above it.

"The goggles...they do nothing"

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1645 on: 25 November, 2009, 08:44:14 pm »
I met my new bike today.  And I liked it :)

:)
Getting there...

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #1646 on: 26 November, 2009, 12:07:20 pm »

Being tired  with the directions my life are developing in I have just applied for 3 months leave without pay at work and the company said  yes & good luck.   :D :D

So I'm taking  a 12 week sports & nutrition  course,  on a folk high school.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #1647 on: 26 November, 2009, 04:09:40 pm »
Hoorah!  Just finished reading (and correcting) the final version of my student's PhD thesis. :D

I have one on my shelf to examine in January.. It is This thick.
|<------------------------------------------------->|

Gulp!

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #1648 on: 26 November, 2009, 04:21:16 pm »
Hoorah!  Just finished reading (and correcting) the final version of my student's PhD thesis. :D

<pedant>
I bet none of them are a thesis.
I was taught that a thesis was a proposition that was proven to be unprovable. Generally I find people who call their homework a thesis tend to omit the very necessary proof.
</pedant>

Actually I find most thesis contain a diagonalisation argument which makes my head hurt. So it is really good news that there are not three more thesis out there.

« Reply #1649 on: 26 November, 2009, 04:23:27 pm »

Being tired  with the directions my life are developing in I have just applied for 3 months leave without pay at work and the company said  yes & good luck.   :D :D

So I'm taking  a 12 week sports & nutrition  course,  on a folk high school.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I spent a year at a Folkhogskola in Vindeln, Sweden almost 20 years ago as part of my degree. A great year it was too. They are a great service to the community in the Nordic countries and I hope they survive the current economic climate. Mine ran invaluable courses for old folk who had become blind of old age and helped them back into the real world. There was also rather a delightful assistant on the course who became Ms AWL for a while too :)

Enjoy the course- och lycka till!
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.