Author Topic: cooking? yeah or ney to pots and pans.?  (Read 9580 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: cooking? yeah or ney to pots and pans.?
« Reply #25 on: 13 February, 2018, 02:27:32 pm »
I think the boil water add to freezer bag type cooking came from the States where you don't want food smells around camp because of bears. Simply re-hydrating food in a sealed bag does limit the amount of odours escaping. Then again, not many bears in the Yorkshire woods  ::-)

Yeah, they're all in Surrey.

hillbilly

« Reply #26 on: 14 February, 2018, 01:25:47 pm »
If the camping gods had intended us to undercook food in the open, they would not have placed so many good pubs close to nice views and campsites.

(In other words - eat out mainly, other than a morning brew up and where civilisation has abandoned us).

« Reply #27 on: 22 February, 2018, 08:50:15 pm »
Was cycling on a Norfolk quai side with another of this parish a year or two ago watching plaice being offered for sale for a ludicrouly low price. Given a frying pan will never miss such an opportunity again. Sometimes you have to capture the moment.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #28 on: 22 February, 2018, 09:53:10 pm »
Cooking..........Eating..........Pah!

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #29 on: 23 February, 2018, 12:27:03 pm »
Was cycling on a Norfolk quai side with another of this parish a year or two ago watching plaice being offered for sale for a ludicrouly low price. Given a frying pan will never miss such an opportunity again. Sometimes you have to capture the moment.

Exactly!

« Reply #30 on: 23 February, 2018, 12:36:29 pm »
Right time, right plaice?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #31 on: 27 March, 2018, 10:46:25 pm »
For short trips I’ve occasionally fashioned a simple stove out of a small empty Tate & Lyle syrup tin and a supply of tea light candles. Just cut three tabs out of the rim and turn them up to fashion a pot stand/air gap and poke a couple of holes near the base.
Essentially it’s a free and disposable cooker, suitable only for boiling water for a cuppa or heating some beans in a tin. Not quick, but cheap and light and binnable before the last ride home. Store matches, candles inside for transporting.
Decision on taking decent cooking kit is driven on whether I’m going to be in the wilds or on a campsite with a shop or pub nearby.

« Reply #32 on: 28 March, 2018, 03:01:18 pm »
Cooking and making drinks to me is an inherant part of Cycling not just camping.     Find an excellent spot with supurb view, get out chair, and gear.  Hot drink and bacon butty with a view no cafe I have ever been to can rival.  There is no alternative, https://yacf.co.uk/forum/Smileys/classic/rolleyes.gif.  I use a Jetboild so fast boil, fast clean up and even the frying pan is the Jetboil one.

« Reply #33 on: 28 March, 2018, 09:42:14 pm »
A bit late to this, and hardly a regular camper these days but...
I'll avoid cooking more than water in the morning to avoid faffing with washing up.
Complexity of cooking is proportional to length of stay in one place.
If it's a tour I'll probably carry cous cous in case the pub has given the cook the night off, but do little more than make tea otherwise.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

« Reply #34 on: 28 March, 2018, 10:27:04 pm »
...a simple stove out of a small empty Tate & Lyle syrup tin and a supply of tea light candles. Just cut three tabs out of the rim and turn them up to fashion a pot stand/air gap and poke a couple of holes near the base....
But aren't most modern 'tin's lined with epoxy* rather than  tin so do you  not get a burning plastic smell?

*'known' due to Captain Paranoia of (OutdoorMagic) interest in lightweight stoves/DIY pots etc

« Reply #35 on: 28 March, 2018, 10:37:52 pm »
The syrup tin never really heats up so this hasn’t been a problem thus far although it might be a problem for your baked bean tin, or similar grub being heated.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #36 on: 28 March, 2018, 10:50:16 pm »
...a simple stove out of a small empty Tate & Lyle syrup tin and a supply of tea light candles. Just cut three tabs out of the rim and turn them up to fashion a pot stand/air gap and poke a couple of holes near the base....
But aren't most modern 'tin's lined with epoxy* rather than  tin so do you  not get a burning plastic smell?

As long as there's water boiling in it, it won't get far above 100C

« Reply #37 on: 29 March, 2018, 08:47:28 pm »

As long as there's water boiling in it, it won't get far above 100C
Quisling's post was referring to using the can as a stove ie burning stuff in it, rather than as a pot so temperatures are presumably above that (ignoring fact that the epoxy may burn as well as melt). Anyway he seems to have detected no horrible plastic-y smell.
The Captain did cover that 100C is OK cos food tins  are often/always? heated to/above 120C to kill botulism spores.

« Reply #38 on: 13 April, 2018, 01:32:31 pm »
If the camping gods had intended us to undercook food in the open, they would not have placed so many good pubs close to nice views and campsites.

Or in the case of one place I remember staying at along the Devon coast-to-coast route, a pub *with* it's own campsite. Perfect. Did a great full English breakfast too.

(In other words - eat out mainly, other than a morning brew up and where civilisation has abandoned us).

This is generally what I do, especially when touring in areas where the local cafe/pub food is very good (France, Italy) and/or very cheap (Czech Republic, Slovakia etc.).  Don't always even bother with a stove for coffee, though the idea of having to cycle very far before my morning coffee is pretty horrific...

In France what we've often done for breakfast was to buy some croissants etc, from the local bakery, then go to the local Café Tabac (a sort of cross between a pub, a tobacconist, a coffee shop and a William Hill) and ask if we can eat our croissants there, if we ordered some coffee from them. None ever said no. Almost every French village of any size has a bakery and Café Tabac.

I suspect most of us here are not "expedition" cyclists, though, who go on long tours through Central Asia or similar...
Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway

« Reply #39 on: 13 April, 2018, 03:11:52 pm »
I suspect most of us here are not "expedition" cyclists, though, who go on long tours through Central Asia or similar...
Central Asia may well be easier than the wilds of northern Scotland & the isles.

« Reply #40 on: 13 April, 2018, 04:06:21 pm »

In France what we've often done for breakfast was to buy some croissants etc, from the local bakery, then go to the local Café Tabac (a sort of cross between a pub, a tobacconist, a coffee shop and a William Hill) and ask if we can eat our croissants there, if we ordered some coffee from them. None ever said no. Almost every French village of any size has a bakery and Café Tabac.

I hate to disillusion you but the disappearance of the village bar-café and the boulangerie is very widespread and indeed worrying in rural France, at least in the Massif Centrale and the south-west. Nowadays breakfast is more likely to be café-croissant in a MacDonald in a commercial zone on the edge of a big town (although the true taste of France can still be found, just don't count on it!)

Personally I don't see how anyone can travel without something to boil water and a filter for making "proper" coffee in the morning (and for sharing with your site neighbours in the evening). Also how do you replace that satisfying moment when you are snug in bed with a hot cuppa and the tent doors open to watch the thunderstorm raging outside? Even given good cheap restaurants, I couldn't get by without some cooking gear.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #41 on: 13 April, 2018, 04:09:47 pm »
I agree, a simple cooking set up can be very compact and light, don’t leave home without one!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #42 on: 13 April, 2018, 04:11:45 pm »
Yeah! Though for me it would be tea, not coffee, usually. Having said that, and you do use the word "personally," I do know there are people who get by happily without hot drinks in their lives at all.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #43 on: 13 April, 2018, 05:37:45 pm »
Yeah! Though for me it would be tea, not coffee, usually. Having said that, and you do use the word "personally," I do know there are people who get by happily without hot drinks in their lives at all.

Indeed.  It makes things so much more efficient.  Cup of Brown Drink, or an extra 10 minutes asleep?  No-brainer IMHO.

None of which detracts from the general pleasure of campsite cooking.

« Reply #44 on: 13 April, 2018, 09:08:23 pm »
My main two stoves are a small Trangia with the gas adaptor and an MSR Wind Pro with an MSR Titan cookset, when wanting to travel a bit lighter, but am considering getting a small Soto Amicus or MSR Pocket Rocket II stove and the small MSR Titan kettle pot or similar from Evernee for beverage-only touring duties or solo cooking.
Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway

« Reply #45 on: 14 April, 2018, 09:25:14 pm »
I agree, a simple cooking set up can be very compact and light, don’t leave home without one!

And an essential part is the corkscrew  and the beer bottle opener!!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #46 on: 16 April, 2018, 10:55:22 am »

And an essential part is the corkscrew  and the beer bottle opener!!

:thumbsup:

« Reply #47 on: 16 April, 2018, 01:15:11 pm »
Well my cooking took a major step forward yesaterday (but its bad news for vegitarians).  I have had a Jetboil Frying pan for a good while.  However up to yesterday it proved to be naff.   EVRYTHING burnt without exception and cleaning was horrendous.   I tried conditioning it with salt, then cooling oil to no avail,   I then conditioned it with LARD and then cooked with oil, better but no cigare.  Final yesterday as a final test, having conditioned it with Lard again and left it a week I did a fryed egg using Lard not oil.   RESULT no cleaning as no sticking or burning, a simple wipe over and back in the bag.   Cooking is part of camping for me so this was a major step forward.    Oh and I am a Philistine I use ALDI  insrtant Latte's and love them!