Author Topic: Sleeping bags  (Read 1701 times)

ravenbait

• Someone's imaginary friend
  • No, RB3, you can't have more tupperware.
Sleeping bags
« on: 03 August, 2023, 02:20:34 pm »
I'm a restless side sleeper with a touch of claustrophobia in need of a new sleeping bag. Thus far I have been tempted by the Sea to Summit (matches my sleeping mat) Flame II, the Thermarest Hyperion 32, and the Sierra Designs Cloud 20.

Planning on using it for bikepacking, but also potentially hiking, so weight and packed volume are a significant consideration. Although I'm only a 3 season camper, this is Scotland, so I think a 4 degree comfort limit is probably as high as I should go.

Interested in whether anyone has thoughts about those three sleeping bags or can recommend something else worth considering.

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Sleeping bags
« Reply #1 on: 03 August, 2023, 02:48:34 pm »
No experience or knowledge of those but the Alpkit Pipedream 400 would seem to match your requirements. I love mine! It's very comfy, light and warm. If you can hang around till Alpkit's next sale you'll get it cheaper – I think I paid £170 for mine.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #2 on: 03 August, 2023, 03:46:19 pm »
I just finished a week in the San Juan mountains (Colorado) with a Sea to Summit Spark III, which I believe is the male version of the Flame series. Very comfortable, VERY light, and very warm. As a fairly restless side sleeper, my approach is to accept the fact that a roomy sleeping bag that allows me to toss and turn is going to be colder than a closer fitting bag (more space for your body to heat up), and accept the fact that a closer fitting, warmer bag is going to be twisted around me when I wake up. My Spark has a pair of nylon loops that are perfect for tying the bag down to the sleeping mat, which seems to help keep me from sliding off the mat in the night.

ravenbait

« Reply #3 on: 03 August, 2023, 05:04:01 pm »
The specs on the Alpkit look great, but my synaesthesia can't cope with the colour. I don't normally use colour as a factor, but if I'm having to sleep in it, it can't taste that nasty.

The Spark is indeed the male version of the Flame. That's one step warmer than the one I've been looking at. Good to know about the loops!

Sam
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 03 August, 2023, 07:04:10 pm »
Speaking of colour, one thing I miss about my Alpkit whatever-it's-called rectangular bag, compared to trusty Dreamcatcher, is the lack of contrasting colours on the zips.  I'm not too fussed about what the colours *are* but it is good when they make things easier in low light.

ravenbait

« Reply #5 on: 07 August, 2023, 06:11:49 pm »
Thanks all. I found the Flame II at a price not too dissimilar to the full price Alpkit and went for it. With the addition of a recommended liner, which can be used on its own in hot conditions or can add up to 11 degrees warmth, all for the size of a couple of coke tins and the weight of a large bidon, I think it'll do me for most of my planned usage scenarios.

Sam

ravenbait

« Reply #6 on: 09 August, 2023, 03:17:57 pm »
It arrived today. The loft bag (storage cell) is smaller than my old sleeping bag is when compressed. I took it out of the delivery box and just started giggling. It's so light I'm sure it would float away if I sneezed in it. The stuff sack is about the size of an old school pint glass (the kind with a handle). It's bonkers.

Sam

« Reply #7 on: 09 August, 2023, 04:06:51 pm »
Looking forward to hearing how warm (or otherwise) it is. I'm currently in the market for a new sleeping bag but am very wary of the really light ones as I don't like to get cold (who does?)