Author Topic: Tent extension?  (Read 10359 times)

diapsaon0

• Advena ego sum in terra
Tent extension?
« on: 26 June, 2008, 05:03:40 pm »
I'm going to try camping for the first time in many years.  I've got an old, but fairly ok tent - an old Black's Dalesman ridge tent with a cotton inner and nylon flysheet.  It's similar to (but probably not as good as) the Vango Force Ten Classic.  My only concern is that there's no vestibule for cooking if it's wet, and for kit storage.  I wondered whether anybody had seen/had made an extension.  Something like an extra flysheet which could be altered to enable one side to be opened up as a canopy might work.  Any ideas from someone who's found something like this?

Thanks in anticipation,

Nigel
Advena ego sum in Terra

alan

Re: Tent extension?
« Reply #1 on: 26 June, 2008, 05:15:05 pm »
The extension I use for cooking when camping is called "the pub" ;)

diapsaon0

« Reply #2 on: 26 June, 2008, 05:20:25 pm »
 ;D

Unfortunately, the nearest pub to the campsite is about 2 miles away, so I'll need to do some cooking onsite (not a lot though!)

N
Advena ego sum in Terra

« Reply #3 on: 26 June, 2008, 05:23:41 pm »
you need something called a "bicycle" to get to the pub.. :D

alan

« Reply #4 on: 26 June, 2008, 05:26:42 pm »
We used to use a pub in Alstonefield with a camping field adjoining the back door :thumbsup:

Now that is my idea of good planning ;D

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #5 on: 26 June, 2008, 05:26:59 pm »
You could try contacting Pennine Outdoor Fabrics. They would definitely have what you need to make an extenstion, they may even have a pattern. Linky

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #6 on: 26 June, 2008, 05:27:36 pm »
We used to use a pub in Alstonefield with a camping field adjoining the back door :thumbsup:

I used to camp there too, small world.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #7 on: 26 June, 2008, 05:28:16 pm »
Fabric glue and and a makeshift tunnel with the flysheet?
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

alan

« Reply #8 on: 26 June, 2008, 05:29:03 pm »

I used to camp there too, small world.

Clearly an exclusive venue,eh what?!

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #9 on: 26 June, 2008, 05:38:43 pm »
Gents, there is only one solution. Inflatable pub!!! :D :thumbsup:

http://www.broncosbars.co.uk/broncosbars1.htm
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

alan

« Reply #10 on: 26 June, 2008, 05:40:58 pm »
Excellent Valiant.
There you go Diapason.Seek & ye shall find.
Is there nothing beyond the wit of this Forum's members?

diapsaon0

« Reply #11 on: 26 June, 2008, 05:41:33 pm »
Sounds like my sort of pub!  Thanks for the link, toekneep and your idea, Sam.  If I got hold of an old flysheet and 'modified' it, it might work.  Trouble is, the extra poles etc are going to add a lot of weight to an already heavy tent ???  Back to the drawing board, I think........

N

Sam, does your inflatable pub come with a pneumatic barmaid  ::-)
Advena ego sum in Terra

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #12 on: 26 June, 2008, 07:41:11 pm »
You need Backpackinglight for a tarp.
Getting there...

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #13 on: 27 June, 2008, 11:11:57 pm »
I've had an extension made for a Vango Force Ten. We had a knackered flysheet with a stuffed zip.  Found a Local Tent Repairer. He cut the doors off at the pole seam, IYSWIM, and then put a zip in the other pole seam by the bell end (oo er). We bought a new ridge and got a set of A poles from the Box of Bits.

Voila! Extension with side entrance. 

Wherabouts are you?  That LTR  has gone, but I've found a new one in Brighton.  Ask in your local camping shop for clues.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

diapsaon0

« Reply #14 on: 28 June, 2008, 05:46:58 pm »
Thanks, both.  I'm very much on  a budget at the moment, (having just become unemployed - loads of time, but no money  :-[ ), so the flysheet conversion sounds a good idea.  Years ago, I had a Bukta Linnet tent to which I added a small front addition with windows.  They also made an extended flysheet similar to what you've described.  I'm going to visit Taunton Leisure, our local decent camp shop, next week and see if they've got an old flysheet and poles.  I'll also put an ad on freecycle.  I'm not able to get away for a few weeks yet, so no panic.  The idea for the extension is really for when I can persuade SWMBO to come with me  ::-)

Thanks to all for your help.

Nigel
Advena ego sum in Terra

LEE

« Reply #15 on: 02 July, 2008, 09:08:53 am »
Get a Tarp off ebay.

They have reinforced eyelets all round so you can string it up a multitude of ways.
They make great groundsheets or groundsheet protectors, you can fasten them into emergency bivvy bags and so on.

This is mine strung over my 1-man tent to the roof rails of my car but it would be perfectly easy to drape it over an A-Frame tent and tie it down to form a porch.

« Reply #16 on: 02 July, 2008, 03:56:23 pm »
On a similar note: after camping at Glastonbury last weekend & being horrified by the amount that food prices have gone up, we're contemplating taking a Trangia to Glade next month.  But neither of the tents have cooking-suitable porches.  Before I go to Decathlon & buy one of those cheap stripey gazebos, any other suggestions?  I guess we want something head-height, so using the existing tents as a basis won't work (they're both short dome tents). 

Tarp with ridge pole & 4 corner poles?  Would it be easier just to get the damn gazebo?

LEE

« Reply #17 on: 04 July, 2008, 12:22:07 am »
Gazebos weigh a lot and are very bulky when packed, usually around 20 metal poles.

« Reply #18 on: 05 July, 2008, 02:48:46 pm »
Fishing shelters are what you guys should be looking at. That's what I use for my cooking. Just enough shelter from rain and wind to cook in and designed to be carried!

« Reply #19 on: 06 July, 2008, 10:26:24 am »
You could get a tarp such as this one from Decathlon for £20. One end could be supported by the tent and the other by one pole, or with ingenuity your bike. Alternatively the do a pop-up shelter for £15 which could sit alongside the tent.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

LEE

« Reply #20 on: 07 July, 2008, 10:23:44 am »
That Decathlon Tarp is a bargain

bikebagg

« Reply #21 on: 29 July, 2008, 09:05:33 pm »
Gazebos weigh a lot and are very bulky when packed, usually around 20 metal poles.

Get hold of a second hand gazebo.  Take just two poles, 4 guy ropes for the poles + 1 guy rope to make a ridge line . The roof then makes an excellent tarp. 

I picked my roof up at a campsite because some of the poles were bent by a strong wind.

Alternatively pick up a cheap ground sheet from any camp shop and rig something similar up

« Reply #22 on: 03 August, 2008, 10:33:37 pm »
Porch extensions are/were a standard item for Force Tens, but obviously yours would have to be a pretty close match for one to fit.