Author Topic: Garmin Edge 500  (Read 1617 times)

Garmin Edge 500
« on: 17 December, 2012, 12:47:01 pm »
First diy audax with the new "toy" yesterday. Entered the "course" onto the unit but didnt use this to follow the route itself.

When I tried to open the "course" (i was lost!) the unit threw its hands up and shutdown and would not restart.

I managed to clear and restart it when home- but of course all the ride data was lost.

Anyone else had issuses with the 500?- or was I just pushing incorrect buttons or unlucky?

Ian McDonald

high point of ride was realising I had just ridden over 10 yds of sheet ice and not fallen off!

Re: Garmin Edge 500
« Reply #1 on: 17 December, 2012, 03:53:10 pm »
I always use bikehike to create a tcx (chopped into sections if there is any doubling back over the same spot) and add in my own coursepoints for turns if required etc...

Download it, copy it manually into the courses dir on the 500 and then load the course and then check the course converts and loads.

Only time ive had an issue was a lock up mid ride and when i got to the point i had to work out which way to tun id some button-fu and managed to get it to reboot
and it picked up fine with no data loss but 2 fit files.

« Reply #2 on: 18 December, 2012, 08:41:35 am »
my route had 15k of doubling back- is that an issue I should solve by splitting the route then?

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #3 on: 18 December, 2012, 06:29:12 pm »
Traditionally, routes can be problematic if they cross over themselves and the suchlike, and conventional wisdom is to create eg 2 linear routes: out and back.
But I've found my edge 800 to work quite sensibly in this regard, although I do tend to create multiple routes still.

Crashing upon starting to navigate a route is not a 'known issue', to the best of my knowledge.
Is the crash repeatable?

I'd advise against using the thing in anger ( eg DIYxGPS ) before you've become familiar with it, but you know that now!
I used mine at first on regular local rides and commutes where it wasn't necessary, just to become familiar with it, so that I had good confidence when I needed to use it in anger.
Even then, the first time I was relying on it for navigation, I hit a 'known' ( to everyone but me ) bug and it crapped out!   Fortunately a bit of fettling at the next control got things up and running again.

« Reply #4 on: 19 December, 2012, 02:56:13 pm »
good advice!- have tried another shorter ride and all seems well now- may well have been operator error.

will have a practice before trying a diy again- at least I got round the ride even if it was not recored as such.