Author Topic: DIY GPS with Garmin 800 (.fit file format)  (Read 10478 times)

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
DIY GPS with Garmin 800 (.fit file format)
« on: 13 November, 2012, 04:51:26 pm »
Hi Chaps,

I have a new GPS DIYer who has completed his first event carrying a Garmin 800 which natively generates .fit files.

To validate the route I need a vanilla .gpx file with a track complete with timing and elevation data.

Would some kind soul provide a detailed recipe which the the DIYer could use to generate such a beast, or else refer me to some such previously prepared.

Thanks, M.O'Tea

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
Re: DIY GPS with Garmin 800 (.fit file format)
« Reply #1 on: 13 November, 2012, 05:05:58 pm »
I am sure there is an easier way (a fit to gpx converter), but all I ever used to do for Martin was to upload the file to my Garmin Connect site and then download it as a gpx (click on export).

Takes about 1.874 minutes.

Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #2 on: 13 November, 2012, 05:08:01 pm »
This any good? It says it will do FIT to GPX conversions

http://www.gpsies.com/convert.do
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #3 on: 13 November, 2012, 05:51:23 pm »
Install Garmin Basecamp.
Connect the device.
Wait for it to appear in the LH pane, under 'Devices'.
Click on either Internal Storage or the Memory Card, depending on where the 'activities' are stored.   Internal Storage is the default.   Be patient as the device is read over USB.

A list of all the 'activites' appears in a pane called eg 'Internal Storage' below the Devices pane.

Select the 'activity' ( this is a track, signified by a 'footprints' icon )( named after the start time-and-date ).

Optional:
R-click, Show On Map.
Check it's the track you want.
If you don't have a mapset that works in Basecamp ( Mapsource maps are detected and used automatically, and don't need to be re-installed in Basecamp ), then don't bother with this step, just proceed to the export as described below.

File -> Export -> Export Selection.

Here's an example GPX I just created this way from my Edge 800:
http://www.lowe-family.me.uk/gpx/10_11_2012_12_30_55.gpx
( r-click, save-as, and if using IE, over-ride it's insistance on calling it .xml ).
See if that works for you.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #4 on: 13 November, 2012, 06:09:01 pm »
The latest version of GPSBabel can convert from FIT to GPX. http://www.gpsbabel.org/

« Reply #5 on: 13 November, 2012, 07:28:43 pm »
+1 for GPSies, I use it all the time on my Garmin 500 .fit files.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #6 on: 14 November, 2012, 04:23:11 pm »
Thanks everybody. We now have a happy new AUK who has just ridden his first GPS DIY!

Feanor

« Reply #7 on: 20 November, 2012, 09:19:23 pm »
I am sure there is an easier way (a fit to gpx converter), but all I ever used to do for Martin was to upload the file to my Garmin Connect site and then download it as a gpx (click on export).

+1 for this method ( if you have signed up for Garmin Connect, and upload your rides there ).

« Reply #8 on: 20 November, 2012, 11:55:06 pm »

Having tried various other applications etc. I have found this is the quickest and easiest way of getting a gpx file from my 800. I normally log all my rides on Garmin Connect anyway. 
I have found absolutely no value in using the supplied  Garmin software of basecamp and mapsource. I plot my routes, generally using bikehike.co.uk because it shows the OS maps and you can make sure you are on a proper road and not a closed off farm track that Google sometimes routes you on. Once I have a route I am happy with I simply load it from bikehike direct on to the Garmin as a gpx track.  This does require the garmin plug-in however. Simples :)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #9 on: 21 December, 2012, 08:18:19 pm »
The latest version of GPSBabel can convert from FIT to GPX. http://www.gpsbabel.org/

Are you sure? - I've installed GPS Babel but there appears to be no Garmin .fit file option to convert from ....

I've used GPSies to do a conversion and that worked ... but I'd prefer to have a prog on the PC than send stuff back and forth to GPSies.

ALSO : Somewhere in this thread it says you can export your "Courses" (i.e. .fit files) from Garmin Connect and save as a .gpx ... can't see that - any ideas where/how please?

Thanks

Rob

Feanor

« Reply #10 on: 21 December, 2012, 09:06:49 pm »
Select Upload, and browse your device for the 'activity' you want to upload.
( This will require the Garmin Communicator browser plug-in. )
Upload it.

Once the activity is visible in Garmin Connect, go into it.
There's a row of icons along the top.
You need to select the Export icon.
Choose GPX file.

That's it.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #11 on: 21 December, 2012, 09:07:22 pm »
Are you sure? - I've installed GPS Babel but there appears to be no Garmin .fit file option to convert from ....
It works for me. In the GPS Babel GUI it is listed as "Flexible and Interoperable Data Transfer (FIT)".

robgul

« Reply #12 on: 21 December, 2012, 10:04:58 pm »
Select Upload, and browse your device for the 'activity' you want to upload.
( This will require the Garmin Communicator browser plug-in. )
Upload it.

Once the activity is visible in Garmin Connect, go into it.
There's a row of icons along the top.
You need to select the Export icon.
Choose GPX file.

That's it.

Got that - the file hadn't uploaded correctly (my fault) ... I now understand

Thanks

Rob

robgul

« Reply #13 on: 21 December, 2012, 10:06:48 pm »
It works for me. In the GPS Babel GUI it is listed as "Flexible and Interoperable Data Transfer (FIT)".

... I was looking for it with "Garmin" as the first word - not the words for the acronym  ... got it now.

Thanks

Rob