Author Topic: Race Radios to disappear  (Read 1084 times)

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
Race Radios to disappear
« on: 25 September, 2009, 10:47:29 am »

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Race Radios to disappear
« Reply #1 on: 25 September, 2009, 10:51:12 am »
That'll go down well... ::-)

It hasn't spoiled road racing, but it has changed it.  Personally, I have a romantic hankering for the days of Coppi, Anquetil, Merckx etc, who all rode without radios, but with the most magnificent tactical nous.  But we're not going to regain any kind of lost golden age that never was really anyway.
Getting there...

« Reply #2 on: 25 September, 2009, 10:53:16 am »
I still think it will improve things. Should be better for breakaways, the pelaton will not be able to reel them in in so scientific a manner leaving it to the very last moment. They will have to chase them down a lot earlier or risk the breakaway succeeding. This will be a good thing I think.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3 on: 25 September, 2009, 10:54:56 am »
That may be.  Or we may get domestiques hanging back towards the team cars more often (for water bottles or some such, ostensibly), then going up the line with the latest information.
Getting there...

gonzo

« Reply #4 on: 25 September, 2009, 11:06:10 am »
They're only banning two way radios. It solves all the objections that the riders came up with about it being unsafe.

Of course, the UCI can ban radios, but the riders will just come up with an elaborate new way of sending messages to team cars. My money's on something like this.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #5 on: 25 September, 2009, 11:25:30 am »
Bernard Hinault described race radios:
"It is just a ‘Game Boy’ that has a gigolo attached at the end telling the racer when to take a piss."

I don't think banning them is going to lead to more heroic attacks that succeed

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #6 on: 25 September, 2009, 11:52:33 am »
Radios are already banned in Scotland apart from a couple of premier events.  This can come as a shock to some English teams when they head NOTB.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

rdaviesb

« Reply #7 on: 27 September, 2009, 11:06:16 pm »
They'll get used to it soon enough............ Four years from now people will be wondering what all the fuss was about.