Author Topic: Oiks shouting stuff at cyclists  (Read 372869 times)

Re: Oiks shouting stuff at cyclists
« Reply #300 on: 26 November, 2011, 04:34:35 pm »
I had this the other week-I think it's something to do with hatchbacks...

Presumably that they're the only cars that particular demographic of macho idiots can afford to insure.

They have insurance?
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #301 on: 26 November, 2011, 04:42:11 pm »
They have insurance?

I assume so.  Otherwise the budget would stretch to a bigger penis.

« Reply #302 on: 26 November, 2011, 04:48:35 pm »
 ;D

Chris S

« Reply #303 on: 28 November, 2011, 05:36:08 pm »
Fboab and I enjoyed a Golden Oldie at School O'Clock on Friday afternoon, near Retford. A loud chorus of "Waaannnkhaaaaaaa!" from the top deck of the school bus. Which was nice.

We couldn't hear if the plural was used (we were on a tandem) so they could have been only referring to one of us - hard to say though, really.

« Reply #304 on: 28 November, 2011, 07:04:38 pm »
To be fair, only one of us was wearing a ridiculous 'tache, so probably singular.

Chris S

« Reply #305 on: 28 November, 2011, 07:14:11 pm »
To be fair, only one of us was wearing a ridiculous 'tache, so probably singular.

Bugger. Nobody ever yells at me.  :P

« Reply #306 on: 28 November, 2011, 07:15:36 pm »

;D

ETA - I think they may do soon!

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #307 on: 29 November, 2011, 01:12:50 pm »

Think yourself lucky. I get shouted at practically every time I go out, on bike or not.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

« Reply #308 on: 29 November, 2011, 01:39:55 pm »
Don't want to meddle, but that state of affairs would improve if you put some clothes on....

« Reply #309 on: 29 November, 2011, 02:05:36 pm »

Think yourself lucky. I get shouted at practically every time I go out, on bike or not.
That's Sittingbourne for you. Anyone with some style is such a shock, the locals can't help shouting out.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #310 on: 30 November, 2011, 08:42:57 am »

That's Sittingbourne for you. Anyone with some style is such a shock, the locals can't help shouting out.

Why, thank you!  :-*

Contrast 5 days walking round Amsterdam where all I got was the occasional stare from a kiddie.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #311 on: 10 December, 2011, 07:09:18 pm »
Not shouted and not really oiks, but anyway...

On the train up to That London for the FNRTTC with the Pino.

Two yoofs, innit, wander into the carriage, trousers low slung inna gangsta stylee.

"Man that bike is well cool"

We chatter a bit. They're genuinely interested in the layout of the bike, so I explain that I sit at the back with all the controls.

"And does your Laydee sit here?" asks one, pointing at the recumbent front seat.

I nod

"Man, she's taking the piss". I think he was suggesting that she wouldn't put any effort in.

At that point my Laydee, Mrs Hall who is sitting round the corner out of sight speaks:

"Excuse me. I'm his Laydee"

Cue much well meant and embarrassed apologies from the two lads.  Made me smile the whole night.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #312 on: 10 December, 2011, 07:20:16 pm »
That's a great tale Tim!
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #313 on: 11 December, 2011, 09:17:52 am »
On Friday,boosted by a slight downhill section I was going at a reasonable lick for once, past a couple of school lads at the bus stop.....cue a theatrical thumbs up and and what sounded like 'wahaaay!'.  Made me smile I must admit.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of NĂºmenor
« Reply #314 on: 11 December, 2011, 12:14:53 pm »
Similarly  - Friday AM, went past some schoolkids at the bust stop in Congleton. "wahaaaay - not seen him for ages" (I was on the trike)

« Reply #315 on: 11 December, 2011, 12:37:46 pm »
Audaxing to York, "controlling" at the shop at Bottesford at going-to-school time, group of 12-year-olds:

"cor, like your bike!"

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #316 on: 14 December, 2011, 06:35:14 am »
On the way home yesterday,  as I cut through the unlit park "you need a health warning with those lights".........

The person making this comment was of course a cyclist, sans lights of any description.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #317 on: 14 December, 2011, 05:07:48 pm »
On the way home yesterday,  as I cut through the unlit park "you need a health warning with those lights".........

The person making this comment was of course a cyclist, sans lights of any description.

The time-delayed witty response would therefore be "You need a health warning for yours".

« Reply #318 on: 15 December, 2011, 07:03:03 am »
Coming home through Hillsborough the other night and I pulled a trackstand between the tram tracks waiting for the lights to change and the tram to pull off. Got heckled by some lads with plenty of "you'll never make it, your gonna fall off" and "he's going, he's going over" stuff. The lights changed, the tram pulled away and I quite smoothly popped the front wheel and rolled away to a round of applause and some cheers.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #319 on: 15 February, 2012, 09:05:24 pm »
Taking my first ride on a recumbent this year, I was entertained by the passenger in an overtaking car doing uncannily good Sweep (as in Sooty and) impressions at me as they passed.  That's a new one on me.   ::-)

plum

« Reply #320 on: 15 February, 2012, 09:56:19 pm »
I'd dropped two or three hundred yards behind the main group on a club ride a while ago, when some little kids coming from the opposite direction started having a laugh at me for being so crap. "No", I said, "I'm lapping them". Don't think they believed me.

« Reply #321 on: 15 February, 2012, 09:58:37 pm »
I got some sort of indistinguishable shout (it sounded like "waaaaarghhhh") on the way home tonight. Happens very rarely, probably because there are lots of cyclists around here (oiks would soon get bored/lose their voices if they shouted at every one... ::-)).

« Reply #322 on: 15 February, 2012, 10:02:24 pm »
Tonight little kids throwing a ball from one side of the road to the other shouted something that sounded disturbingly like 'Blind her!' while aiming the ball at my face and making to throw it. Nothing actually hit me and I may give them the benefit of the doubt by assuming they were actually saying something different, perhaps in another language.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #323 on: 15 February, 2012, 10:36:46 pm »
I'm still trying to work out what was shouted at me on the evening commute this week.
Single occupancy male driver shouted as he overtook.  Not the usual "Whaaaaggghwhawhawhaaaaag!"
It sounded very much like "Ex-ist  *oop"  Must have been important as he had opened his passenger side window to tell me about it.

That's not "exist" where the second syllable is stressed.  The first syllable was stressed - like sexist, without the s.
*oop had a leading consonant, but I can't work out what it was.

We were on a reasonably free running piece of road, and as far as I am aware, we hadn't interacted at all.

Well, gave me some fun trying to work out what it could have been, all the way home on an otherwise dull commute.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #324 on: 15 February, 2012, 10:53:38 pm »
Weirdly on Tuesday Simon and I were shouted at a couple of times, which is rather unusual in these parts. It also happened on Saturday up on the Mendips. We were wondering if it is something about being on a tandem that seems to invite it. It could also have been explained by passing within 5 miles of Bridgwater tbh.