Author Topic: Oiks shouting stuff at cyclists  (Read 369546 times)

mcshroom

• Mushroom
Re: Oiks shouting stuff at cyclists
« Reply #375 on: 25 May, 2012, 10:34:49 pm »
I think the sun must bring them out round here. On my ride this evening I got three 'arrowarrgh' things and a middle finger for no apparent reason.

That's more than I'd had for the whole year up until today
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #376 on: 25 May, 2012, 10:45:43 pm »
Yesterday, when I was riding in file with Butterfly, we got a chap shouting 'Two abreast' out of a car. ???
Getting there...

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #377 on: 25 May, 2012, 10:48:17 pm »
On the ride home tonight, there was an incident at the bottom of my street.
A car had gone on fire, and the fire engine was blocking one lane.
Mr. Plod was manually directing traffic.

There was a monster 1-mile tailback out towards Banchory, which I came across.  The opposite lane had no traffic, so I pulled out and passed them all.

Oh, boy did that rile them.
Lots of hoots and curses.
And a couple of attempts to block me!

It was a case of 'If I can't go in my car, it's not fair that you can go on your bike!"

« Reply #378 on: 25 May, 2012, 10:49:48 pm »
Yesterday, when I was riding in file with Butterfly, we got a chap shouting 'Two abreast' out of a car. ???

Silly man, you were obviously two abike  ::-)

;D
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #379 on: 26 May, 2012, 05:57:03 pm »
A fellow audaxer had lewd remarks shouted at him out of a car window today.

By me.  ;D

« Reply #380 on: 26 May, 2012, 08:01:15 pm »
I keep getting wanker and dickhead comments at the moment. Well, I'm sticking them all on YouTube. The dickhead comment might well be right since I have a camera sticking up from my forehead.  ;D

I don't like this sort of thing, mind you. No wonder so many people don't cycle when drivers think it's fine to behave like that.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #381 on: 26 May, 2012, 08:59:33 pm »
Popularity of the incoherent shout has gone up with the change in the weather. See, their window is already down, so all they have to do is shout - instead of needing the interaction of multiple parts of the motor cortex

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #382 on: 26 May, 2012, 09:02:56 pm »
Yeah, I've noticed that - loads more shouts these days.

I was rather chuffed to have a "hello sweetheart!" yesterday though. I'm not the sort of gal that gets called sweetheart.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #383 on: 26 May, 2012, 09:05:40 pm »
Well, I just discovered that one of mine is a repeat appearance from an insane overtake he (well, the vehicle, dunno if he was driving) did almost a month ago. I don't see why we should have to accept shit like this. Roadsafed.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

tonycollinet

« Reply #384 on: 29 May, 2012, 06:34:53 am »
"woof woof woof".

To be fair though that was an actual dog (GSD) who then ran to the back window of the 4x4 to stare at me on the trike :-)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #385 on: 29 May, 2012, 02:11:28 pm »
Ah, I woofed at a dog that was staring at me from the passenger window of a 4x4 yesterday.

Androcles

• Cycling Weakly
« Reply #386 on: 30 May, 2012, 10:55:11 pm »
We got barked at this evening by a dog hanging out of the left hand front window of a car.

Relieved to see that the car was U.K. registered.
Wave upon wave of demented avengers march cheerfully out of obscurity into a dream

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #387 on: 31 May, 2012, 06:22:39 pm »
On the way home tonight, driver of (white!) transit with unplated trailer. General sense of shout: it's a red light, wanker. My position? waiting at a T-junction for roadworks traffic lights to clear. Yup: stationary, and not even on the same road.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

« Reply #388 on: 01 June, 2012, 05:26:27 am »
Off Topic as entirely silent, but a new (to me) thing to learn from:

Quiet urban main road, 5.30 am: UNDERtaken, on the road, by a lad with a delivery bag.
Fortunately I was holding a straight line. He only just had room.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #389 on: 18 June, 2012, 11:22:03 pm »
Barakta's just reminded me of something that happened on the Manchester-Morcambe FNRttC:

Through the downpour, I made out the profiles of of three orthodox Jewish men, walking along looking almost as miserably wet as we were (they had, I suspect, slightly more weather-appropriate hats).  As I passed, one of them exclaimed "Sweet!"

Not the usual demographic, but good to know that recumbents are still cool on the Sabbath.   :D

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #390 on: 19 June, 2012, 12:25:17 am »
Barakta's just reminded me of something that happened on the Manchester-Morcambe FNRttC:

Through the downpour, I made out the profiles of of three orthodox Jewish men, walking along looking almost as miserably wet as we were (they had, I suspect, slightly more weather-appropriate hats).  As I passed, one of them exclaimed "Sweet!"

Not the usual demographic, but good to know that recumbents are still cool on the Sabbath.   :D

Did the men in hats have plastic raincovers on them? They do frequently...
The big brims would keep the wearers' (inevitable) spectacles dry.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #391 on: 19 June, 2012, 12:45:12 am »
Not that I noticed.  Of course, Mancunians probably just soak them in Nikwax...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #392 on: 05 July, 2012, 06:18:43 pm »
Van driver, in broad Jasper Carrott:

"Oy!  Somebody's took yer 'andlebars!"

« Reply #393 on: 08 July, 2012, 04:22:57 pm »
A lone cyclist came through my village and about 6 teenagers started cheering him like in the tour.I know they were taking the piss,but it did make me smile.

tonycollinet

« Reply #394 on: 08 July, 2012, 04:50:45 pm »
Got a big grin and thumbs up on my second ride on the streetmachine the other day.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #395 on: 08 July, 2012, 08:42:04 pm »
Riding home on my own after today's clubrun, I was sat behind 3 cars at a red light waiting to cross a busy 4-5 lane road. Nobody was going anywhere for a couple of minutes. I heard a young woman in the car behind me try to ask me something, it sounded like she was asking directions, like "is this road going to...". Being a nice helpful kind of guy I turned round and rode up to her window to see if I could help...

Driver (angrily): "Is it legal for you to ride in the middle of the road?"
Me: (cheerfully) "Yes!"

I wasn't even riding, I was sat behind three stationary cars and a red light.  ::-)

Even worse, a group of 6 of us on a wide, straight stretch in a quiet rural area was given the predictable hanging out the passenger window shouting "SINGLE FILE!!!" By a policeman!

« Reply #396 on: 08 July, 2012, 08:45:18 pm »
Even worse, a group of 6 of us on a wide, straight stretch in a quiet rural area was given the predictable hanging out the passenger window shouting "SINGLE FILE!!!" By a policeman!
Did you all take the same line as the furthest out rider?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #397 on: 08 July, 2012, 09:13:39 pm »
Get his number?
Getting there...

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #398 on: 08 July, 2012, 09:25:58 pm »
No, he'd sped off before we really realised what was happening. It would have made a nice juicy complaint because the cops of that area have "previous" (stopping riders riding 2 abreast, dragging innocent riders into the back of their car based solely on the word of an annoyed moton).

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #399 on: 09 July, 2012, 11:01:44 am »
had a "Single file"! or two yesterday. Then a loud horn from the 3rd car - all 3 were tailgating eachother in a downpour and much standing water
(and no oncoming traffic, so we weren't delaying them by a single nano-second)
 :facepalm:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles