Author Topic: Oiks shouting stuff at cyclists  (Read 369262 times)

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
Re: Oiks shouting stuff at cyclists
« Reply #450 on: 29 August, 2012, 07:51:40 pm »
Oh, and yesterday coming out of work onto the road proper, colleague in car (but who cycles in sometimes on a carbon thing, a sportive rider) came alongside:

"Jealous!"

As I was on a tourer with a pair of panniers, I assume he meant jealous of being out on the bike in fine weather...  :-\

« Reply #451 on: 01 September, 2012, 09:13:22 pm »
No verbals, but at approx 05:00 this morning 4 of us were riding into Scotch Corner services when some idiots in a wankpanzer tried to blind us with spotlights mounted on their tin can.

No damage done, but what sad & pathetic lives these people must have if this is the sort of thing they have to do for amusement.

When I Rule The World, they will be gently reeducated, into useful, gentle, productive tins of catfood...... :demon:
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #452 on: 01 September, 2012, 11:10:30 pm »
Cats wouldn't eat them.

Can you get cans of dung beetle food?

« Reply #453 on: 01 September, 2012, 11:19:17 pm »
As I understood Andrew's post, they were already so-packaged.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #454 on: 02 September, 2012, 06:24:23 pm »
They were pretty much. Riding in a 4x4 and deliberately aiming and flashing the light in each rider's eyes while laughing and jeering. 
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #455 on: 02 September, 2012, 06:33:03 pm »
On the FNRTTC as we pedalled through Sarf Lunnon, bloke leans out of taxi window:

"Is this some kind of bike ride?"

"Yes" I agreed "it is some kind of bike ride"

<puzzled>
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #456 on: 02 September, 2012, 06:39:28 pm »
I'm fairly sure something amusing was shouted at us on the way through Sutton, too, but I can't seem to remember what.   ???

« Reply #457 on: 02 September, 2012, 06:42:14 pm »
A chav shouted "Wanker!"at me from a blue Saxo today. I pitied his lack of imagination. I would imagine "Wanker" is shouted from blue Saxos approximately once every 10 seconds in the UK...
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #458 on: 02 September, 2012, 06:46:36 pm »
A chav shouted "Wanker!"at me from a blue Saxo today. I pitied his lack of imagination. I would imagine "Wanker" is shouted from blue Saxos approximately once every 10 seconds in the UK...

It's used as punctuation, along with "farkin caaaaaaaaaaant" and "innit?".    ;)
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #459 on: 02 September, 2012, 06:53:13 pm »
I got "Bitch!" for having the tenacity to be oncoming traffic to a right-turner[1] on my ride home from the station yesterday.  It served as a reminder that I was back in Birmingham.  Now I think about it, the car in question *was* a small blue hatchback (though I was setting myself up to take the proper line through a set of potholes and badly placed drains, so didn't get a chance to notice the make).

[1] They'd done the usual "the car in front has deemed it safe to move, so I will too" thing, and had to stop.

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #460 on: 02 September, 2012, 07:04:23 pm »
I'm fairly sure something amusing was shouted at us on the way through Sutton, too, but I can't seem to remember what.   ???

As a resident of that fair town I can say with some certainty that 'Sutton' and 'amusing' are mutually exclusive.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #461 on: 02 September, 2012, 07:36:25 pm »
Getting back into Bristol just before 10 last night, at the first red light a silver hatchback drew up alongside me with three or four blokes in it and one of them shouted, rather than yelled, "I fucking hate cyclists! I fucking HATE them!!!!!!!! They always get in the way at the last fucking minute! And they've got those gay cameras on their helmets. (pause...) Half the time." The pause may have been because he noticed I had neither helmet nor camera. Then again, he may just have been have been shocked at having used two nouns without a single "fucking". Then a small voice from the back of the car, "Ignore him, he's a wanker." Needless to say I already was ignoring him. Then the light changed and off we went.

Then at another red light further down the road outside a pub, a woman said, "Do you like muh willy?" pronouncing the fourth word alone in a sort of mock Northern accent. Then she hitched up her skirt and displayed what appeared to be some sort of knitted contrivance.  ???

Saturday night brings out all the most beautiful people in Bristol! But I can honestly say that it's the first time anything like that has ever happened to me - perhaps because I look like Geoff Capes in an acid rage or perhaps because I'm an elderly gent in a tweed jacket and trilby or perhaps because in fact such things do happen very rarely.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #462 on: 02 September, 2012, 08:18:46 pm »
Teenager descending the Greenwich Foot Tunnel stairs as I carried my bike up them, to her mother:
He must be really good. He's wearing gloves.
Not especially helpful or mature

« Reply #463 on: 06 September, 2012, 05:42:14 pm »
I had a skinny, Wowbaggeresque, older gentleman, say it's easier with sideburns.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #464 on: 06 September, 2012, 05:55:36 pm »
Stepping out of my front door this morning, I propped my lovely steel Art Decor Colnago Master on the wall while I locked the door.

A scrap metal van was slowly trundling down the street, the driver obviously looking out for anything he could pick up for free... "Is that scrap mate?"

:o

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #465 on: 06 September, 2012, 06:17:13 pm »
Definitely an Oik!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #466 on: 06 September, 2012, 07:16:28 pm »
Not an oik but a colleague, who held the door open for me as I arrived "come on Eddie Merckx"  "Eddie Merckx, that's an old one"

"yeah, but then so are you"....no answer to that one I'm afraid.

« Reply #467 on: 06 September, 2012, 09:09:59 pm »
I had a skinny, Wowbaggeresque, older gentleman, say it's easier with sideburns.

(Just mentioning that I at first read that as "easier THAN sideburns".)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #468 on: 06 September, 2012, 10:27:12 pm »
Yesterday evening as I jostled with the traffic, something mostly unintelligible, but including
"...kin road.....caaaahnt!"

I'm afraid my reflex response was along the lines of Arkell vs Pressdram, fortissimo.

There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #469 on: 08 September, 2012, 12:30:49 pm »
Out on my ride this morning, after a slow single lane through roadworks, a 4x4 eventually screams past. A lady leans out and shouts something unintelligible then the driver squeezes past and slams the anchors on. I caught them up at the lights (inevitably) and was just about to return the compliment when the lady leans over and sweetly lets me know she was telling me about the hole in my shorts ... :facepalm:

Collapse of stout party ......

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #470 on: 08 September, 2012, 11:21:57 pm »
Oik onnabike, pissed to the point where I seriously doubted his ability to remain on said bike, stared at me in incomprehension this evening, before finally telling me to get a life.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #471 on: 08 September, 2012, 11:28:11 pm »
Greeting from a fellow cyclist this morning whilst I was leaving, and he was entering, Great Bardfield.

"Hello Beardie!"
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #472 on: 09 September, 2012, 10:27:36 pm »
Whereas a bearded cyclist addressed me as "young lad" this afternoon. He did look about 70, so it's relatively accurate.  :D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #473 on: 09 September, 2012, 11:03:46 pm »
A rather agressive "Wot woz dat, bruv?" from some spotty oik on a BMX,  An "FFS", muttered under my breath, amazingly got through his iPod earbuds after he nearly took me out while he was crossing the road.

He did half-heartedly give chase, presumably to try and fight me, but even with two full panniers I could maintain 20mph. I think even he realised quite quickly his little BMX couldn't match that, and even if he could, his gormless mates on foot definitely couldn't.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #474 on: 09 September, 2012, 11:18:42 pm »
On the way out of Studley on the Macride this afternoon, a Mk 1 oik comes bounding across a car park in our general direction.  "Excuse me!" he shouts.  "Yes?" said I, realising it was directed at me.  "Is she disabled?" (gesturing at barakta, some tens of metres ahead of me)  "Er, yes?" I reply, wearily.  Satisfied, he about turns and walks back to his Saxo[1].   ???

Inspirational.

[1] Okay, I didn't actually see the car.