Author Topic: Oiks shouting stuff at cyclists  (Read 373375 times)

Re: Oiks shouting stuff at cyclists
« Reply #500 on: 01 October, 2012, 12:53:39 pm »
Isn't it actually obligatory to shout "he/she's fallen off" to a solo tandem rider?
Only if you're the kind of person who shouts 'she's not pedalling'  :facepalm:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #501 on: 01 October, 2012, 12:54:48 pm »
She obviously was when she set a record :-*
Getting there...

« Reply #502 on: 01 October, 2012, 12:56:17 pm »
We had a chap call 'Can ye ride Tandem? on Friday. I value that as a rare example these days. He had a great big grin as well :)
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #503 on: 01 October, 2012, 12:59:53 pm »
Especially as we weren't entirely sure that we could
Getting there...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #504 on: 01 October, 2012, 01:11:40 pm »
I had someone shout "Oy, Neil Armstrong!" at me on Friday night.   ???

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #505 on: 01 October, 2012, 06:51:01 pm »
I didn't know NASA did spacesuits in goth black.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #506 on: 01 October, 2012, 10:29:13 pm »
Not an oik, and not shouted -

as I was cycling through a council estate (alone on the tandem), a chap who was walking the other way said: 'middle-class, middle-class, middle-class, middle-class'. When I looked at him over my shoulder after I'd passed, he looked directly at me and repeated it several times ???.

Surely the correct response is "Thank you, and a good day to you kind sir"
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #507 on: 01 October, 2012, 10:32:20 pm »
Not an oik, and not shouted -

as I was cycling through a council estate (alone on the tandem), a chap who was walking the other way said: 'middle-class, middle-class, middle-class, middle-class'. When I looked at him over my shoulder after I'd passed, he looked directly at me and repeated it several times ???.

Surely the correct response is "Thank you, and a good day to you kind sir"

I thought 'pleb' was the word of choice at the moment
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #508 on: 02 October, 2012, 07:37:40 am »

I thought you'd be over the moon.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #509 on: 05 October, 2012, 04:33:52 pm »
A highly original "Get in your fucking lane you wankers" from a farmified pickup last night on our run to the pub.

If we had been holding him up from whatever is urgent on a farm at this time of year, and the traffic coming the other way was stopping him over taking us, maybe he'd have got a bit of sympathy.  But there was no traffic coming the other way, all we were doing was riding two abreast so myself and Deano could chat whilst we rode along....
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #510 on: 05 October, 2012, 04:37:08 pm »
Cycle lanes aren't compulsory, either. Especially not ones as full of crap as that.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #511 on: 05 October, 2012, 04:38:23 pm »
At least there was a cycle lane...

« Reply #512 on: 05 October, 2012, 04:39:36 pm »
It vanishes when the road narrows, i.e. where you need a cycle lane.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #513 on: 05 October, 2012, 04:53:04 pm »
They all do that, sir.  I was merely referring to the habit of oiks shouting about cycle lanes where none exists.

« Reply #514 on: 05 October, 2012, 04:53:57 pm »
Gotcha. I've had that one.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #515 on: 05 October, 2012, 04:57:12 pm »
I've been shouted/honked at innumerable times over the past week or so in Holland, Germany and Slovenia.  However, as the shouts/honks were all in Dutch/German/Slovenian, I didn't understand them - and nor did they understand what I shouted back.  This is probably just as well.

spindrift

« Reply #516 on: 05 October, 2012, 07:30:36 pm »
I had a lengthy shout at me when I was in Berlin riding around and I genuinely have no idea what I was supposed to have done wrong and he was speaking in Berlin talk which i didn't understand so I mentioned the war and pedalled away.

benborp

• benbravoorpapa
« Reply #517 on: 06 October, 2012, 12:49:20 am »
This happened in May. Looking back it wasn't a spontaneous shout, but he was oiky and he was very shouty. Today I found out that this guy was fined £625, ordered to do hundreds of hours of community work and to pay me £50. The account below has some of his choicer bon mots in spoilers.

The first time I was aware of him I had been waiting at the tail of a line of four cars at lights for about thirty seconds. He joined the queue by braking hard to a short distance behind my rear wheel. I thought he might just be a poor driver and ignored him. I got about fifty metres on him as I pulled away from the lights and rolled with the traffic for the next 400m, 25mph in a 20 zone through 4 sets of traffic calming features. As we rolled up to the last, a raised pedestrian crossing, he again braked hard to within a short distance of my back wheel. This is when I realised he meant what he was doing. As we rolled away he beeped his horn, accelerated hard and then braked hard, again a short distance off my rear wheel. I turned and said firmly and directly to him "Back off!" At this point traffic was backed up over a roundabout and moving slowly - there was no room to overtake or for me even to filter on the approach as the road was narrowed by parked cars and there was oncoming traffic. Coming on to the roundabout, more beeping and he attempted to undertake saying "I just want to know what you said." I said "I asked you to back off." He very swiftly responded by shouting
(click to show/hide)
and swung his car in to me. I stopped to let him get ahead but he stayed next to me. At this point he started to threaten to run me over, said I shouldn't be on the road, spouted off about road tax and then settled back on the threats intermingled with homophobic abuse such as
(click to show/hide)
. I got off the bike, got my phone out of my pocket and made my way behind his car to the pavement. He shouted "Call who you like I'm going to wait here." He pulled over and then got out of his car. While I was calling the police he was still abusive, stood toe to toe with me regardless of where I moved to and was jabbing his hand at my face with the occasional feint thrown in. Nothing was going to happen at this stage but he was intent on escalating the situation. I can't remember much of the phone call or what he said to me at the time as I was generally concentrating on him physically. I know I read out the registration number and got the location through to the operator and that I felt immediately threatened but couldn't make out much that they said. I told the driver that the police were on their way. "Good, and I'm going to wait here." I said "Perhaps you should wait by your car." "No. I'm going to wait right here." At which point he moved to being directly in my face again. I walked away and crossed a side road, he followed saying (amongst other things)
(click to show/hide)
He was becoming more offensive and more aggressive and by this point I was having to deflect some of his more aggressive gestures. He was also walking into me and I'm afraid I was close to bringing the heel of my hand up under his chin as I moved his hand out of my face at one point. Fortunately, this is the point where people started to intervene. A woman in an SUV suddenly shouted "Don't!" at him pointing her finger very effectively. An older couple walking nearby made a reasoned plea and it became obvious to him that the whole street had stopped and was watching. He made his way back to the car with a parting shot of "If I didn't have my car here, I'd kill you." and he drove off. I asked one of the people that had stopped if they wouldn't mind waiting for the police, he agreed and shortly afterwards a patrol car arrived and our version of events were taken separately.
Not long after I got home the police called to say that they had arrested a man and would like to take a full statement. Apparently he drove up to his house in the car exactly as the police arrived and matched my description so perfectly it was almost comical.

The police were excellent throughout. The court proceedings were random, mainly due to the competency of the prosecution and defence lawyers, the magistrates were very much on the ball though and it seems to me to be a more than reasonable result.
A world of bedlam trapped inside a small cyclist.

« Reply #518 on: 06 October, 2012, 05:57:20 am »
As I posted alsewhere, Ben, I think this is a good result and I hope some kind of psychiatric report has been done on the perpetrator.  Been a long job, though and a lot for you to go through.  Well done!

« Reply #519 on: 06 October, 2012, 07:41:28 am »
Wow Ben, you are awesome. Seriously impressed with how you dealt with all that, and pushing through for a prosecution.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #520 on: 06 October, 2012, 08:16:12 am »
Well done.  Dealing with the actual incident that calmly and effectively is bloody brilliant, as is following it up and getting him prosecuted.  It is superb that passers by intervened - and from what you say I suspect one reason that happened is because you choosing not to rise to the idiot's provocation and handling it so well will have made it really obvious to the casual observer that he had absolutely no reason, excuse or pretext for acting like such an utter arse.  I reckon you did A Good Thing for cyclists everywhere, and I am fairly sure I couldn't have done the same!  Thank you.  And I hope you had/have plenty of support from all around you dealing with the fallout of what must have been an incredibly stressful situation.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #521 on: 06 October, 2012, 09:49:13 am »
Well done.  Thank you.  Every time someone has the persistence to deal with incidents like these, it chips away at the edifice of easy hostility we face.
Getting there...

« Reply #522 on: 06 October, 2012, 10:08:03 am »
Excellent stuff, Ben. I remember seeing your original account of the incident and I'm glad the fucker has been delt with  :thumbsup:

I'm sure he hates cyclists more than ever now, but knowing his wallet might be severely lightened again should keep him in check...

Edit: Oh, I'm sure he'll just love the community service  :P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #523 on: 06 October, 2012, 10:11:46 am »
A bit more than just an oik shouting stuff really.
If you see him again, be sure to ask him if he likes your new jacket, wether you're wearing a new one or not. It'll remind him of the £50 he had to pay you. Might even earn you another few quid ;D

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #524 on: 06 October, 2012, 11:08:38 am »
Well done indeed.  I just hope he isn't allowed to do the timeless 'pay off the fine at 50p a week' stunt.