Author Topic: Oiks shouting stuff at cyclists  (Read 369331 times)

Re: Oiks shouting stuff at cyclists
« Reply #875 on: 05 June, 2015, 02:28:57 pm »
DLA ?
Rust never sleeps

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #876 on: 05 June, 2015, 02:29:52 pm »
Not a great day then, Kim?   :(

The windows being open just get me more Seth Armstrong shouts.
Quite appropriate, really, Basil. I have never seen the programme in question so I had no idea who Seth Armstrong was. I reckon your similarity to said character is as least as strong as mine to santa.

Oh, I got some santa banta from a Dutch (I think) oik in Calais the other day whilst we were waiting for our train. "Santa klaas!" was the pronunciation.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #877 on: 05 June, 2015, 02:30:16 pm »
DLA ?

My guess is Disability Living Allowance.

« Reply #878 on: 05 June, 2015, 02:33:44 pm »
"Keep pedalling fattie."  Summer has arrived with spotty youths trying to impress their mates with witticisms as they drive round town in 10 year old citroen saxo

Hey ho.
Life is good even in a cockle shell.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #879 on: 05 June, 2015, 02:34:37 pm »
DLA ?

Indeed.  Certain parts of society like to nounify it in the style of 'gay' as a term for disabled people.  As in "We had to wait because the lift was full of DLAs".

See also: "scoper".

I wonder if we'll see it replaced with PIP...

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #880 on: 05 June, 2015, 02:42:19 pm »
Not a great day then, Kim?   :(

The windows being open just get me more Seth Armstrong shouts.
Quite appropriate, really, Basil. I have never seen the programme in question so I had no idea who Seth Armstrong was. I reckon your similarity to said character is as least as strong as mine to santa.

Me neither at first.  When it started many years ago I used to think "Why are they calling Lance Seth?"  Eventually I googled it.
I think he's dead now, or the actor died, or something, but the shouts still continue.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #881 on: 05 June, 2015, 02:45:42 pm »
On the other side of the shouting coin, we had a fabulous heckle from a lass on a BMX (~10yo?) as we whupped her candy ass riding through Swinefleet on our way to the turn at Goole on the Flatlands the other week. She was racing/chasing with others down the street, turned at the sound of my bell, and with horror on her face shouted after us....

(click to show/hide)

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #882 on: 05 June, 2015, 02:46:08 pm »
I had my first "You should get a car" shout from a Saxo at the weekend.

Kind of a rite of passage :-)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #883 on: 05 June, 2015, 03:50:07 pm »
"Spastic!"

That's rather retro.

Fairly standard recumbent-specific abuse.  I'd rather that than "DLA!" (which I've only had the once, thankfully), which conveys a whole other level of nastiness.

(I'm assuming they're inferring that funny bike means a disabled rider who might not be aware that they have a disability, so would benefit from having it pointed out - rather than using 'spastic' as a generic term of abuse, which would indeed be retro.)

It goes both ways of course.  Sometimes people tell you you're cripspirational...

I once had "'ere, it's that funny wheelchair again!" from some cheery East End urchins once.  Seeing as it was clearly my legs doing the moving Stuffs I can only conclude that the average East End urchin is A Bit Thick.

I also had a chant of "Special Needs, Special Needs, Special Needs!" before an audax, but that was from Patrick Field so didn't count.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #884 on: 05 June, 2015, 04:09:54 pm »
"Get a car, you cunt!"

My reply: Get a bicycle!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #885 on: 05 June, 2015, 04:26:22 pm »
"Get a car, you cunt!"

My reply: Get a bicycle!

Funny you should mention that...

(Don't think he heard me though.)

fuzzy

« Reply #886 on: 05 June, 2015, 04:34:16 pm »

response to Saxo driver- "So should you!"

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #887 on: 05 June, 2015, 06:08:13 pm »
DLA ?

Indeed.  Certain parts of society like to nounify it in the style of 'gay' as a term for disabled people.  As in "We had to wait because the lift was full of DLAs".

See also: "scoper".

I wonder if we'll see it replaced with PIP...

If they shout DLA, shout back DVLA.

Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #888 on: 05 June, 2015, 10:42:30 pm »

response to Saxo driver- "So should you!"

:)

Given that he turned into a cul de sac in my village I should be able to re-use that !

Bairdy

• Former Pints Champion
« Reply #889 on: 05 June, 2015, 11:14:32 pm »
A couple of years ago riding along a lane towards the end of The January Sale 200 myself and Bikey Mikey had a Knackered old Ford Ka pull alongside us with some hill billy leaning out of the passenger window holding a can of Stella who shouted "Why don't you get a fucking car?" The car was alongside us and driving at our speed.
Mikey looked the guy in the eye and said. "I've got a Lotus in my garage you Twat".  ;D

Hill Billy Boy looked gutted.
"And I been up to my neck in pleasure
              Up to my neck in pain"

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #890 on: 06 June, 2015, 02:53:25 pm »
Audax o'clock in Dewsbury; iddu and I are looking forward to a nice cup of tea after the east coast leg of the 3 Coasts 2006. We are both three-wheeling inna-darkside-stylee.  Bloke leans out of the rear passenger window of a passing motor-car and shouts:

Quote from: Wet Yorks' Answer To $COMEDIAN

Abuse!  Abuse!

I laughed like the time the Gestapo came for Eamonn Holmes.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #891 on: 12 June, 2015, 03:14:41 pm »
Yesterday, on the commute thread, I posted of a noisy oik in a motorcar who squealed at me as he passed by and into the distance. It irritated me for a while, as these things do - and I retold the tale here almost as a weak and dilute imitation of bloody revenge. Of course, keyboard work just isn't sufficiently visceral - unlike, say, a proper disemboweling so I continued to be irritated.

But I remembered. I don't like dwelling on, or retelling horrors of the road as I have a fear that naming the demon might make it real. It happened to me - and I spent too long out of the saddle because I confused fear with reality.

To balance the karmic universe - or, at least that bit of it which is my stretch of NCN Route 2, I need to post something positive yet related. And that's easy to do - it occurred to me that I get called to by someone on the street at least twice most days. The shouts are "Morning!", or "Fantastic weather, isn't it?", etc. There's usually a bloke or two fishing or walking their dogs along the sea wall who'll swap acknowledgements or helloes. Or I see a fellow bikie who I know - or just one who greets fellows of the road.

So not everyone who shouts stuff at cyclists is a bad 'un.

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #892 on: 12 June, 2015, 03:19:37 pm »
A couple of years ago riding along a lane towards the end of The January Sale 200 myself and Bikey Mikey had a Knackered old Ford Ka pull alongside us with some hill billy leaning out of the passenger window holding a can of Stella who shouted "Why don't you get a fucking car?" The car was alongside us and driving at our speed.
Mikey looked the guy in the eye and said. "I've got a Lotus in my garage you Twat".  ;D

Hill Billy Boy looked gutted.

Class!
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #893 on: 30 June, 2015, 08:20:43 am »
Just turning into my gate at 10 pm last Friday the passenger of a passing car shouted "NYARLOTHEP-TICK!" Well, that's what it sounded like.

I just dismissed it as one of those random things a moron will do to try and validate its sad pointless existence.
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #894 on: 30 June, 2015, 10:40:45 am »
Sounds ancient Egyptian, didn't he build one of the pyramids?  ;D
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #895 on: 30 June, 2015, 11:43:45 am »
On Saturday, just coming into the village/collection of houses called Whitfield on the A38, I heard a rapid "beep beep" from behind me – followed by not abuse nor close pass but a wide pass and a friendly wave out of the passenger window. I've no idea if it was someone who thought they recognised me or maybe even someone I actually do know but didn't recognise or... who.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #896 on: 03 July, 2015, 07:49:28 am »
A not-an-oik shout.

Riding a stokerless tandem along a residential street on my way to school a week or so back, a small child pointed and called out 'That's Computer Kat!'.  Now this, in and of itself, isn't all that unusual as I often ride through bits of town inhabited by Smalls that I encounter at work and that is the name I'm known as to many - there's actually a cartoon picture of me on the wall in one classroom, thus captioned.

I did a bit of a double take though, since on this occasion the Small in question wasn't in school uniform and didn't look old enough (by quite some margin) to be at school.  All became clear moments later when they were joined on the doorstep by a be-uniformed slightly larger Small - I'm guessing at the first being a younger sibling, and my reputation preceding me....

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #897 on: 13 July, 2015, 12:20:02 am »
Yesterday, in Margate, from a pedestrian:

"Blimey, mate, you've caused a massive tailback! Slow down a bit more!"

I quite enjoyed that.

ian

« Reply #898 on: 13 July, 2015, 10:02:34 am »
A brace of charming lager-swigging young ladies on their balcony as I waited for an oncoming car to pass:

"Why don't you get a fucking car?"

'Why good maidens, I do in fact have a car." (OK I didn't say that since they weren't fair and were definitely knocked out in the early qualifying heats for being maidens.)

"Orrgghhhrrrgggg."

I've no idea. I think their brains succumbed to the lager and that was the sound of their remaining neurones drowning.

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #899 on: 16 July, 2015, 11:45:11 pm »
I had a greeting of "waaannnkkkaaa" from the passenger window of a car doing much the same speed as me..

I pointed at my chest and yelled "Miiiiiikkkkeeeeyyyy". "Pleased ta meet yer !!"

I'm not sure if he actually got it, but I got it, which was enough....
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388