Author Topic: Oiks shouting stuff at cyclists  (Read 374579 times)

Re: Oiks shouting stuff at cyclists
« Reply #200 on: 01 October, 2010, 06:20:40 pm »
>My money says they were curious about the bike.

I can't help wondering quite why someone would be so quick - or bothered - to whip out a large torch, unless they've tried the same trick before. I also wondered if it was a reaction to the 1W rear light flashing away, there's no accounting for the attitude of some of the prats I encounter...by far the majority are ok - and definitely give a wider berth to the recumbent. Tho' the 'must pass the cyclist' view gets a little annoying when you're going the same speed as the traffic around town, in primary, with braking distance in front of you, and some f***wit attempts to slot themselves in the gap...
Still, as of last weekend I've got an airzound on the bike...I just need to get adept at getting my hands down the (underseat stearing) bars to it !

« Reply #201 on: 01 October, 2010, 11:53:35 pm »

In my book, pushing someone off their bike IS an attack.

I agree. If I was walking down a street and someone made to deliberately push me over, Firstly I would avoid them or block their arms and possibly issue a good kick in the nads if I thought they meant business.

I also view being pushed of a bike as an attack.
However, I think that the sort of brain dead morons who have been harassing me would probably just regard it as a joke.

Where I encounter these idiots it is on a fast road with no get away routes.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

2_Flat_Erics

• 2 Flat Eric's
« Reply #202 on: 02 October, 2010, 08:17:33 am »
As I said to my wife last night, without provocation, I have the feeling that these oiks wouldn't 'attack' me. They might think it funny to push me off my bike or somesuch idiocy.

In my book, pushing someone off their bike IS an attack.

Sounds like mrcharly is saying that at the moment they wouldn't push him off his bike, but if he took photos of them they might do.

Sometimes the tw@ts come unstuck when they try to push people off bikes.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/nQaJVSyCS-8&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/nQaJVSyCS-8&rel=1</a>
Never argue with an idot....
They just bring you down to their level
then win on experience.

2 Flat Erics You Tube Channel

« Reply #203 on: 02 October, 2010, 09:22:27 am »
Sometimes the tw@ts come unstuck when they try to push people off bikes.

Tw@t gets his just rewards

:o :o :o

border-rider

« Reply #204 on: 02 October, 2010, 10:01:12 am »
That's quite a disturbing bit of video. 

« Reply #205 on: 02 October, 2010, 10:32:09 am »
Instant karma for being a twat, but fairplay he took it on the chin

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #206 on: 02 October, 2010, 12:49:35 pm »
Blimey, I haven't seen that clip for a few years. Apparently the nitwit was a bit bashed up but ok.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

« Reply #207 on: 02 October, 2010, 01:36:16 pm »
Ha ha ha! Splendid.  At least he was forced to face up to the consequences of his actions!

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #208 on: 03 October, 2010, 03:22:47 pm »
If he were wise enough for that, he'd not have been doing what he did in the first place.  He probably took it out on another cyclist, next time.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

« Reply #209 on: 04 October, 2010, 09:33:51 am »
And again . . .

In a different vehicle, this time a flatbed truck with 'Highway maintenance' marked on the back.

I'm starting to think this is a bit like dogs barking at thunderstorms. They just can't help it.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #210 on: 04 October, 2010, 09:34:37 am »
Same people?
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

« Reply #211 on: 04 October, 2010, 10:12:51 am »
Same guy hanging out of side of truck.

The demented bellowing is almost funny.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #212 on: 04 October, 2010, 10:19:17 am »
Yeah, I'll bet it's amusing, but also worrying.  That sort of thing has the potential for him to take bigger and bigger liberties to get the same rush as he got from the first few, I feel.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

« Reply #213 on: 04 October, 2010, 10:28:37 am »
You might be right, and I do appreciate your concern (along with the offer of loan of camera).

I suspect they'll get bored of it, and if they escalate things, I'm posting in here because then there is a log of when they've harassed me. 
Oneday I'll manage to note the reg number.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #214 on: 05 October, 2010, 06:34:17 am »
For gawd's sake get a camera, if it isn't this set of muppets playing up  I'm sure there will be others.

It is a royal PITA keeping it charged and remembering to take off the footage each day but it certainly gets round the reg number notation problem. 

I wouldn't be without mine, even pretty much all the footage gets binned.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #215 on: 26 October, 2010, 03:19:36 pm »
We got a sad one near Dorking when out with the CTC.  A kid (or two) shouted from a passing car 'Why don't you get a car?'

TGL said they'd never understand even after he'd explained.

Hope they got told off by their parents, though.
Getting there...

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #216 on: 26 October, 2010, 04:41:43 pm »
After an evening incident a week or so ago I've *very* tempted to lob a camera on the helmet.
Descending out of local town centre on the recumbent, probably doing 25 but I soon hit 30+ (and it *is* a 30 limit, so it's not like I'm holding anyone up, if there's any traffic around) Something big/dark (suv?) passes, something like a searchlight or wide/v bright lamp shone in my face for the next 50yards down the hill. I'm just to left of centre of the lane, but it's got two curves in it, I'm too blinded to see exactly where am in the lane or even to look in my mirror to see if the road behind is clear to slow quickly. Fortunately he effs off and I can just about see though the afterimage. Curious about the bike and just a bit stupid, or simply an asswipe trying to cause an accident ? Answers on a postcard...

I would guess it's someone who gets themselves vexed about bike lights being 'too bright' and now deliberately shines a light at them.

People can be idiots.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #217 on: 26 October, 2010, 07:35:01 pm »
Not really shouting, but I just had a car match speed mid-overtake, passenger window open, and the customary "ooarguhgh!" was uttered.  The passenger then took a photo/video of me with her phone.

Like I say, they haven't invented recumbents in Birmingham yet.

Bonus points for anyone subsequently spotting me on metube/friendface.

« Reply #218 on: 26 October, 2010, 07:37:41 pm »
Bonus points for anyone subsequently spotting me on metube/friendface.

Oh. It was you.

I thought it was Charlotte. :P :D

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #219 on: 26 October, 2010, 08:47:57 pm »
I had someone shouting at me from a car.  Not the one behind me going across the roundabout, but the one behind that.  Oh dear.
Getting there...

« Reply #220 on: 20 January, 2011, 11:24:47 pm »
I'm only calling them oiks because they were young, hanging around in a bus stop and gobbing off at folk minding their own business going home late at night.

I looked well sick mate and have a nice arse. Apparently.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #221 on: 20 January, 2011, 11:28:27 pm »
Oh, I had a driver, for no apparent reason, wind down their window and shout "Oargghauhelmet, you fuckin' idiot!" the other day.  Hopefully the doctor will be able to prescribe them antibiotics for that.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of NĂºmenor
« Reply #222 on: 22 January, 2011, 12:12:04 am »
This week, Wednesday I think - honking up a hill through Congleton, car goes past, passenger window goes down "your going too slow"

Was project team member who sits just in front of me at work. :-)

« Reply #223 on: 23 January, 2011, 05:21:02 pm »
On yesterday' Dr Foster Audax, approaching Millbrook Garden Centre, a Green
(didn't get the make/model) car goes past and some yoof shouts "f.....g pillock, get a car".
Further up the road a car turning right forced the green car and others to stop. If it
weren't for the hill I was climbing to the cafe, I would have gone after the green and asked
the passenger to repeat what he said. Chances are, he would have been surprised
and embarassed. If not, I'm sure I could have descended the hill faster than he could have.
 ;)

« Reply #224 on: 23 January, 2011, 05:37:19 pm »
Pathetic aren't they. Really not worth giving them more than a moment's thought.