Author Topic: Rain :(  (Read 6840 times)

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
Rain :(
« on: 22 June, 2016, 11:31:47 pm »
:(

It's incredibly loud.

#Canwehavesummerbackplease?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Rain :(
« Reply #1 on: 22 June, 2016, 11:36:38 pm »
Barakta was complaining about the sound of rain while loitering within tent at the weekend.  Having listened to it through her hearing aid, which renders it much like the sound of running water from the inside of a drainpipe, I see her point.

Which is a shame, because I really rather like the sound of rain on a tent (given a warm sleeping bag and a sufficiently empty bladder).

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2 on: 23 June, 2016, 07:00:34 am »
Meteo France are saving our rain for the weekend.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #3 on: 23 June, 2016, 07:25:03 am »
Nice and dry up here in Aberdeen
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #4 on: 23 June, 2016, 07:27:24 am »
Since we replaced the roof slates with slate-a-likes two years ago it's like living in a huge tent    The mesmeric and soothing pitter patter of rain on the roof is so relaxing.

« Reply #5 on: 23 June, 2016, 07:34:10 am »
Meteo France are saving our rain for the weekend.

Friday,us. Y'day it was 32C.
Move Faster and Bake Things

ian

« Reply #6 on: 23 June, 2016, 09:09:06 am »
My office is on a mezzanine level at the side of the Asbestos Palace with a high, sloped ceiling/external roof. The sound of heavy rain is very loud (enough so that I have to wander back into the palace proper if I'm on a call) but I do rather like it.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #7 on: 23 June, 2016, 09:20:18 am »
I hate the stuff. Today's cyclecommute was ditched for the Tube and train for that exact reason. Currently i am still at least half an hour from my workplace and an hour later than normal.

It seems that England doesn't cope well with rain, understandable given that rain is so unusual in this country.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #8 on: 23 June, 2016, 09:41:48 am »
We have a flat roof on part of our residence, with sky lights in kitchen and bathroom. That makes even a light rain sound like tropic thunder. This means it's always a relief when I do go out in the rain and find, inevitably, that it's much less than I feared. (Confession: I enjoy riding in drizzle. Or even proper rain as long as it's warm.)

I agree with Kim about rain in tents.

Pancho: surely this is why you have a poncho?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Jon

« Reply #9 on: 23 June, 2016, 09:43:14 am »
I found rain plus corners plus my tyres = pain.

Came off on a corner I was going too fast round. Ouch.

Pancho

« Reply #10 on: 23 June, 2016, 09:47:32 am »
We have a flat roof on part of our residence, with sky lights in kitchen and bathroom. That makes even a light rain sound like tropic thunder. This means it's always a relief when I do go out in the rain and find, inevitably, that it's much less than I feared. (Confession: I enjoy riding in drizzle. Or even proper rain as long as it's warm.)

I agree with Kim about rain in tents.

Pancho: surely this is why you have a poncho?

Last night we *had* tropical thunder.

The poncho helps to a degree. But I wear specs and rain eventually renders me blind. A peaked cap or hood will hold it off for a while but that's all.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #11 on: 23 June, 2016, 10:05:11 am »
I don't know what sort of rain you had last night, but you've been to the topics; was it really the same? I've never experienced anything anywhere in Europe with quite the intensity, solidity, of an Indian monsoon. Of course the monsoon rain has the advantage of being relatively warm and usually not lasting that long (but being accompanied by strong winds – not to mention destruction of property and loss of life).
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #12 on: 23 June, 2016, 10:15:07 am »
I woke up this morning at 7, it's raining. I couldn't face my commute to college as my waterproofs are at another place, but public transport takes twice as long (more than 2 hours). Rain stopped at 9am and I'm still here at home. I'll probably just go in for the afternoon.

« Reply #13 on: 23 June, 2016, 11:39:07 am »
I was woken at 6:15 by a loud clap of thunder. Didn't commute by bicycle. Decided within five minutes of getting in the car cycling in the rain (and considerable flooding) is still more enjoyable than sitting in traffic.
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

ian

« Reply #14 on: 23 June, 2016, 11:45:39 am »
I bought a big cycling poncho. It's looks a bit comedy, but it's actually great, other than I still get wet feet, of course. If anyone saw a man on a Brompton under a big yellow tent on Monday, that was me.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #15 on: 23 June, 2016, 12:33:24 pm »
I don't know what sort of rain you had last night, but you've been to the topics; was it really the same? I've never experienced anything anywhere in Europe with quite the intensity, solidity, of an Indian monsoon. Of course the monsoon rain has the advantage of being relatively warm and usually not lasting that long (but being accompanied by strong winds – not to mention destruction of property and loss of life).

The rain which afflicted Friedrichshafen at the close of the 2003 summer heatwave was the equal of anything I've seen anywhere in Remotest Abroad (where the FOREIGNS come from) including the remains of a Pacific hurricane which had meandered as far inland as southern New Mexico, and pukka typhoons in Hong Kong.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ian

« Reply #16 on: 23 June, 2016, 02:14:50 pm »
Even a US hurricane doesn't touch a monsoon. It's like having contents of a warm bath tipped over your head. A really big bath.

« Reply #17 on: 23 June, 2016, 02:26:43 pm »
Glorious sunshine here today. ;D

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #18 on: 23 June, 2016, 02:42:37 pm »
I realise that their hashtags are a weather reference, and not a Norfolk reference,  but this is slightly unfortunate:-

https://twitter.com/HighfieldEvents/status/745939415478992896

Our marquees are going up @norfolkshow fingers crossed the #PoorWeatherSouth is on its way out #webbed #feet
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Pancho

« Reply #19 on: 23 June, 2016, 03:25:56 pm »
I girded my loins and went out. Five and a half hours on the road and two European moonsoon downpours.

The first one was seen off with the poncho. It really worked well. This warm and wet weather is where it really excels - no heat build up and you can keep it on for those extended "has it really stopped raining?" miles.

Second torrent and I was within 10 miles of home - it didn't feel worth stopping to don it. I should have! Drenched.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #20 on: 23 June, 2016, 06:11:39 pm »
I've encountered tropical stuff on Borneo, warm, wet, regular as clockwork. And in Jakarta, caused absolute gridlock to the extent that the 5km journey to the hotel took 4 hours.  Even Block M had to cease trading.

Having been caught in a summer thunderstorm in the Fens, warm, wet, limited duration. 

That was about the only difference, but why we can't cope is beyond me
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #21 on: 23 June, 2016, 08:28:58 pm »
Nice and dry up here in Aberdeen

Good innit? ;)
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #22 on: 23 June, 2016, 08:30:58 pm »
Warm & sunny all day in Liverpool as well.  Not that I was able to get out of the office for anything resembling a lunch break  >:(
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #23 on: 23 June, 2016, 08:31:41 pm »
Warm and dry all day in Brum, if not actually sunny.  It's gone a bit grey now, though.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #24 on: 23 June, 2016, 08:48:46 pm »
It's been sunny here all day. In fact it still is :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!