Author Topic: [HAMR] More thoughts on the current record attempt(s)  (Read 75080 times)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: More thoughts on the current record attempt(s)
« Reply #425 on: 22 January, 2016, 08:09:27 am »
Can you entitle it "Physics is a drag"? :P
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #426 on: 22 January, 2016, 08:18:16 am »
Transpose the equation to get Cd = blah, blah.

By doing this, the variables become arguments on the other side of the = .
Reduce one of the variable arguments and it reduces Cd.

If r is reduced to zero, as in Chester Kyle’s model of riding a bike on the moon, that r = zero effectively makes Cd = 0.

When drafting another vehicle, v is reduced. This will reduce the resultant value of Cd. See again Chester Kyle.

No! Cd is constant for a body. If you change your posture, you are, in aerodynamic terms, changing the body. Drafting only reduces v (and density very slightly).

We may need another thread... (there's probably one already).

Agreed. Not for this thread.

I was away at Aidan's new thread.
Sad news.

To bicker about aerodynamics is not fitting here.

Appologies.

« Reply #427 on: 22 January, 2016, 08:19:33 am »

I was away at Aiden's Aidan's new thread.

FTFY  :thumbsup:

« Reply #428 on: 22 January, 2016, 08:51:21 am »

I was away at Aiden's Aidan's new thread.

FTFY  :thumbsup:

Saw my mis-spelling and corrected it AQAP, but too slow,,,  :thumbsup:

« Reply #429 on: 22 January, 2016, 09:02:35 am »
Transpose the equation to get Cd = blah, blah.

By doing this, the variables become arguments on the other side of the = .
Reduce one of the variable arguments and it reduces Cd.

If r is reduced to zero, as in Chester Kyle’s model of riding a bike on the moon, that r = zero effectively makes Cd = 0.

When drafting another vehicle, v is reduced. This will reduce the resultant value of Cd. See again Chester Kyle.

No! Cd is constant for a body. If you change your posture, you are, in aerodynamic terms, changing the body. Drafting only reduces v (and density very slightly).

We may need another thread... (there's probably one already).

I was away at Aidan's new thread.
Sad news.

To bicker about aerodynamics is not fitting here.

Appologies.

Agreed  :)

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #430 on: 22 January, 2016, 10:08:13 am »
Sad news on the decision for  the attempt being pulled.

I can't imagine that was easy.

My thoughts are with Steve and the Team.

H

« Reply #431 on: 22 January, 2016, 10:18:21 am »
Sad news on the decision for  the attempt being pulled.

I can't imagine that was easy.

My thoughts are with Steve and the Team.

H
+1

« Reply #432 on: 22 January, 2016, 10:27:29 am »
Good decision from Steve and his team.  They have a lot to be proud of.  I've certainly had value out of Steve's efforts over the past year.

Now, Steve it's time to get some good rest and then do something you really enjoy for a while.   Maybe go for a bike ride ....

Chapeau.

Chris S

« Reply #433 on: 22 January, 2016, 10:29:22 am »
Some of the money left from donations should be spend on a decent sports physio to help put Steve back together. Maybe a psych too - he's not lived in the real world for over a year now.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #434 on: 22 January, 2016, 10:40:54 am »
Some of the money left from donations should be spend on a decent sports physio to help put Steve back together. Maybe a psych too - he's not lived in the real world for over a year now.

And a holiday! I hope the team has this sort of stuff in hand.

« Reply #435 on: 22 January, 2016, 10:43:58 am »
...maybe a cycling holiday.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #436 on: 22 January, 2016, 11:05:46 am »
not lived in the real world for over a year now.
that could be said about a lot of us, Chris.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #437 on: 22 January, 2016, 11:18:15 am »
...maybe a cycling holiday.

With Kurt.

mmmmartin

• FNRttC
« Reply #438 on: 22 January, 2016, 11:39:07 am »
Two minor points:
  • Slightly intriguing that we're being encouraged to sign up to the newsletter. As if there might be "news" in the future.
  • Notable that donors are told to cancel all payments.
When asked in the video: "What next?" Steve talks only of sleeping, eating and recovering. It's too early yet to make plans when you're knackered.

Can we infer anything from this? We know Steve has learnt a lot, because that's what he tells us in the long video. And success rarely teaches anything, it's failure that teaches you stuff. So we can guess that Steve as of January 20, 2016 knows a lot more about how to make an attempt on the world record than he did on the first day of his first attempt. Today, he's knackered. Tomorrow, he'll still be knackered. And the day after that. But there will come a time when he won't be knackered. I'm signing up for the newsletter.

TimC

« Reply #439 on: 22 January, 2016, 11:41:50 am »
I think it's simply that the team is unlikely to communicate on several fronts again unless Steve decides on another attempt, and that from now on the only source of info will be sent out as a newsletter. Reduces complication and effort. I don't think it implies anything at this stage, but neither does it rule anything out.

mmmmartin

• FNRttC
« Reply #440 on: 22 January, 2016, 12:10:12 pm »
from now on the only source of info will be sent out as a newsletter
Quite. And this info sent out, from the One Year Time Trial team, what subject might that be concerning then?

TimC

« Reply #441 on: 22 January, 2016, 12:24:00 pm »
from now on the only source of info will be sent out as a newsletter
Quite. And this info sent out, from the One Year Time Trial team, what subject might that be concerning then?

Steve's health, plans for his time off, what they're going to do with the surplus from the donations, thoughts on whether Citizenfish is going to document Steve's year and, I'm sure, a myriad of other stuff they may wish to communicate - but not via ten different outlets. What's your point?

« Reply #442 on: 22 January, 2016, 01:23:27 pm »
Steve, I'm in awe of what you have done in the past 1+ year.
Kudos to you and the team.
Rest well.
often lost.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #443 on: 22 January, 2016, 01:30:21 pm »
I have just closed a much-visited tab on my browser that has been sitting open for months. It was Steve's track.  :'(
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #444 on: 22 January, 2016, 02:17:09 pm »
I have just closed a much-visited tab on my browser that has been sitting open for months. It was Steve's track.  :'(
possibly my second-most used app on my phone now deleted
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

TimC

« Reply #445 on: 22 January, 2016, 02:22:35 pm »
The fact that he carried on when many kept telling him to stop was exactly the right thing to do
(Apologies-  feel free to move to the More Current Thoughts thread if necessary to keep this thread free for justifiably slapping Steve on the back and congratulating him on an amazing 55 weeks.)

Many would disagree with you on this front, Michael.  If (heaven forbid) carrying on this last few weeks were to turn out to have had a detrimental effect on Steve's long-term health, would you still maintain this viewpoint?

Naturally I don't with any ill on Steve but he knew that he had to push himself to, and possibly beyond his limits on a regular basis to complete the challenge.   Steve will have learned an awful lot and it would have been his choice to continue.    Sometimes you learn a negative too but you need to learn that lesson.   THe fact that Steve continued after the moped incident shows that Steve is tenacious and highly motivated and will push until he can push no more.   

So, on balance I'd have to say yes, I would still consider that he did the right thing even if he ended up not getting the right result this time.   Next time, which I sincerely hope there is to be, Steve will be even better, even stronger and even wiser.

Answered here because I think it's more appropriate than the 'Steve ends ride' thread.

I have to say that I agree. There was a time at the back end of last year when the dietary issues appeared to have put Steve's health at risk and significantly reduced his mileage capacity that I, and many others, thought 'it's time to stop' and we said so. However, it would appear that the health issues, while somewhat debilitating, were nowhere near as serious as we feared and so it was right to continue. But, despite recovering from that, it was becoming obvious that Steve could not claw back the deficit and the daily mileages required by the revised schedule were just not going to be possible.

Steve has a record, though not the one he was seeking, which puts him right up there with the greats of distance cycling. If he can retrieve the speed he once had, and which ironically was lost due to time off the bike during the preparation for 1 Jan 2015, I'm quite sure he could give it another go. I'd fund him.

redfalo

• known as Olaf in the real world
    • Cycling Intelligence
« Reply #446 on: 22 January, 2016, 02:32:28 pm »
From the long version of the Steve's Youtube video, it sounds like it was Idai who took the initiative in convincing Steve that the current attempt's chances of success are beyond hopeless. It also sounds it took him great effort to bring this sad message across. Big kudos to Idai for this! (Also for getting Steve's health properly checked in October, and advising him on the nutrition change). It looks like the much-maligned team is actually working better than many of us thought (also very telling that Hoppo was not around when the video was made)
If you can't convince, confuse.

https://cycling-intelligence.com/ - my blog on cycling, long distances and short ones

Chris S

« Reply #447 on: 22 January, 2016, 02:34:13 pm »
Steve's got loads of time to read ALL the threads on here now.  :facepalm:

He'll know everything we've you've been saying about him  :o ;D

« Reply #448 on: 22 January, 2016, 03:11:40 pm »
...(also very telling that Hoppo was not around when the video was made)

It's telling you that Hoppo, and Phil, and I, live some distance from MK. 

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #449 on: 22 January, 2016, 03:47:28 pm »
Am I a stick in the mud when I say I'm relieved that Steve has abandoned but seems remarkably well in mind and body considering?