Author Topic: .gpx File Splitter  (Read 17193 times)

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
Re: .gpx File Splitter
« Reply #25 on: 05 March, 2019, 05:06:24 pm »
regarding the file size/resolution - when you select the model of the head unit in "garmin connect" app, it automatically filters (or not) the whole course according to the head unit. in my case, edge 130, supports ~500* trackpoints per course; higher end units might support much more**. i can upload any size file to "garmin connect", but what is then sent to my unit is downsampled to a fairly low resolution. so i'd rather upload shorter courses to start with, so that the outcome is still with usable resolution.

* i've asked garmin about this, but they wouldn't respond
** has anyone tried with the 520 or 1030 to upload e.g. lejog route as a single file and see if the course closely follows the road?

I have offered twice now but suspect I'm on your ignore list  :facepalm:
My experiment was with an Edge 1030

Regards,

Joergen

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #26 on: 05 March, 2019, 10:49:50 pm »
I have offered twice now but suspect I'm on your ignore list  :facepalm:
My experiment was with an Edge 1030

jiberjaber, thank you for your offer! i don't need any of the files splitting now, this request was for making it easier in the future, if there's a suitable solution. i've used mapsource so far and it works fine, only the process is somewhat cumbersome. i need this only few times a year, so can live with the mapsource/basecamp way of doing it. just thought i'd ask if there is anything better out there, preferably free.

thanks for the input everyone!

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #27 on: 05 March, 2019, 11:06:03 pm »
Glad you've got it sorted. Offer still stands for future if you need it.  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #28 on: 06 March, 2019, 12:11:16 pm »
Well Mapsource is what I use for this sort of thing (and I do quite a lot of Track preparation for distribution to 'unknown' people with a variety of 'unknown' devices on a semi-commercial basis).  You might try:
a) use Mapsource to add Waypoints at the places you want to split the Track, resave as GPX file.
b) submit the saved file to Phil's Simple GPX - use the default settings but select 'Split track -yes by Waypoint'.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #29 on: 06 March, 2019, 02:23:45 pm »
Well Mapsource is what I use for this sort of thing (and I do quite a lot of Track preparation for distribution to 'unknown' people with a variety of 'unknown' devices on a semi-commercial basis).  You might try:
a) use Mapsource to add Waypoints at the places you want to split the Track, resave as GPX file.
b) submit the saved file to Phil's Simple GPX - use the default settings but select 'Split track -yes by Waypoint'.

thank you, the problem with using mapsource is that it does not show the distance when you want to split the track. so my way of doing it - upload the track to ridewithgps, zoom in and remember the location that i want to split at. open the same file with mapsource, guess/find the same location by comparing the shape of two tracks. open the trackpoint window and try to find the same location by holding the shift key and selecting all the trackpoints up to that point. copy and paste those trackpoint to a new track and save it as a new gpx file. import that file to garmin connect and transfer to a device from there. repeat the steps for other sections. is there a better way of doing it?

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #30 on: 06 March, 2019, 05:20:13 pm »
Basecamp has a Divide button on the Edit Features toolbar. There are also a couple of Split options on the context menu when a track is selected. I've never tried playing with these, though...

Phil W

« Reply #31 on: 06 March, 2019, 05:25:09 pm »

thank you, the problem with using mapsource is that it does not show the distance when you want to split the track. so my way of doing it - upload the track to ridewithgps, zoom in and remember the location that i want to split at. open the same file with mapsource, guess/find the same location by comparing the shape of two tracks. open the trackpoint window and try to find the same location by holding the shift key and selecting all the trackpoints up to that point. copy and paste those trackpoint to a new track and save it as a new gpx file. import that file to garmin connect and transfer to a device from there. repeat the steps for other sections. is there a better way of doing it?
Why don't you just automatically split by distance then, as that method was offered up several posts (it was reply four) back by Frankly?

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #32 on: 06 March, 2019, 05:45:59 pm »
In Mapsource or Basecamp, you can open the track properties window, then select some of the trackpoints. And it will show you the distance for the selected trackpoints. You can use Shift+Page Up/Page Down to quickly select chunks of the track.
Then use the divide tool, to split it into pieces.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #33 on: 06 March, 2019, 06:10:42 pm »

Why don't you just automatically split by distance then, as that method was offered up several posts (it was reply four) back by Frankly?

mainly because i want the split point to be on flattish section of the road with no turns or junctions nearby, so that i can easily load the next course on the go. if it is done automatically, i can not be sure whether my current course will end at a suitable location.

« Reply #34 on: 06 March, 2019, 06:35:53 pm »
As mentioned by Telstarbox - the Strava route splitter works pretty well.  The only minor wrinkle that I have discovered is that I had to ensure that my plotted ride had timestamps to fool Strava into uploading it.  I did this by saving from Bikehike but there are other possibilities like https://gotoes.org/strava/Add_Timestamps_To_GPX.php  I kept the ride as private so that I didn't get any KOMs   ;)

Strava helpfully shows you the segment lengths as you decide where to split.  Once you have split the 'ride' at your desired points you can then export the individual gpx files.  I don't use Garmin Connect so don't know whether you will then have to strip off the timestamps.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #35 on: 06 March, 2019, 06:42:39 pm »
In Mapsource or Basecamp, you can open the track properties window, then select some of the trackpoints. And it will show you the distance for the selected trackpoints. You can use Shift+Page Up/Page Down to quickly select chunks of the track.
Then use the divide tool, to split it into pieces.

true, i can see the distance there, although not possible to zoom into street view as can be done on rwgps. i might have been doing it the wrong way, by selecting trackpoints, copying them to another (empty) gpx file, then saving it as a new track. it's easy to lose a place of split if you inadvertently click the mouse pointer on another place in the trackpoint window.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #36 on: 07 March, 2019, 10:53:05 am »

With the Track List pane open to the left of the main display, you see your Track and its total distance.  Select the Track Split tool.  Now one click splits the Track (anywhere you like at random) and you now see two tracks with both their distances listed.  [Ctrl-Z] to undo if you don't like, and try again at a more likely spot.  When you have it right you'll want to edit the split Track names - via 'Properties'.
Incidentally in Mapsource the default configuration has the Track split/join/draw tools hidden from view - many people don't even know thay exist.  Edit the Toolbar to add the Track tools.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #37 on: 07 March, 2019, 12:12:39 pm »

With the Track List pane open to the left of the main display, you see your Track and its total distance.  Select the Track Split tool.  Now one click splits the Track (anywhere you like at random) and you now see two tracks with both their distances listed.  [Ctrl-Z] to undo if you don't like, and try again at a more likely spot.  When you have it right you'll want to edit the split Track names - via 'Properties'.
Incidentally in Mapsource the default configuration has the Track split/join/draw tools hidden from view - many people don't even know thay exist.  Edit the Toolbar to add the Track tools.

i didn't know about the track tools buttons either - thank you!

so, did the splitting, renamed each track accordingly, saved the file as a gpx. however when importin said file to the garmin connect website it only shows the first (of the three) tracks. is there a way to save each track in the track pane as an individual gpx file without copying them to a newly opened mapsource window and saving one after another, and another..?

Phil W

« Reply #38 on: 07 March, 2019, 02:21:14 pm »

Track split/join/draw tools hidden from view - many people don't even know thay exist.  Edit the Toolbar to add the Track tools.

Well I had the track split tool sitting in plain sight (selecting and using the toolbar icons right next to it). I split tracks in Basecamp to insert a new bit of track I have created. This saves a few mouse clicks over what I was doing.

« Reply #39 on: 21 November, 2019, 12:31:45 pm »
Plotaroute can split a route up to 15 sections - very very easy.

Season 1 - 211 AAA Points, 120 Club points,  PBP 72h, ISR, Welsh SR, Easter Arrow, Hyper Rand, AAA Champion, ACB Team and CTC champions