Author Topic: [HAMR] Current thoughts on the record attempt?  (Read 252798 times)

Re: Current thoughts on the record attempt?
« Reply #725 on: 18 December, 2015, 11:45:48 am »
There's been a good response to this.
youtube link

« Reply #726 on: 18 December, 2015, 11:54:35 am »
youtube link

What does that mean? All we see is that 18 days later nothing has changed, apart from Steve is managing fewer miles. My presumption from what little information is available is that he is still pretty unwell (and all I can do is wish him well and pray he recovers quickly).

« Reply #727 on: 18 December, 2015, 12:49:12 pm »
youtube link

Posted by LWAB last week...

"I've made offers via a current team member...sound of crickets followed"
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #728 on: 18 December, 2015, 12:58:07 pm »
There must be something going on which we are not aware of; why the secrecy?  If Steve is following any of this chatter, not sure when he finds time to, he could make it all a bit more positive by letting supporters know what he's thinking, doing and planning.  When I say he I mean one of the Team, if there still is a Team?

I'm resigned to the fact that we are never going to know what's going on.  There has been a consistent pattern - things leak out days after the event but almost in spite of the team rather than because of them.  I have absolutely no idea why there has been this wall of secrecy for the entire 12 months but it has done Steve's challenge no favours IMO, and certainly not given him any advantage over his competitors (which I can only assume has been the reason for it).
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #729 on: 18 December, 2015, 01:38:12 pm »
It strikes me that the One Year Time Trial is about redemption. Middle-aged men submitting to an ordeal to exorcise our demons. Kurt's got his relationship history and his pre-cycling chubbiness and the new challenger has alluded to struggling with depression.
I've tended to see Steve's ride as a celebration of the everyday, an extension of everyone's work routine, carried to its ultimate extent. A hero of the everyday. I touched on some of that when I talked to Steve at PBP. The challenge now is to work out a way of upping Steve's production to reach any new target.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIMA9Zux9gE

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #730 on: 18 December, 2015, 01:39:20 pm »
It strikes me that it's about trying to ride as far as possible on a bike.

« Reply #731 on: 18 December, 2015, 01:46:37 pm »
The bowl is used as a recovery 'refuge' it seems, as earlier in the year; GWS Steve.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #732 on: 18 December, 2015, 01:48:47 pm »

If that was the case no-one would be projecting values such as purity onto the event. The quality of the suffering seems to occupy a lot of the posts.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #733 on: 18 December, 2015, 01:51:10 pm »

If that was the case no-one would be projecting values such as purity onto the event. The quality of the suffering seems to occupy a lot of the posts.

You said it.

We're not trying to ride as far as possible on a bike, just wanking about on the internet.

ETA: Change of plan.  Going for a bike ride.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #734 on: 18 December, 2015, 01:51:58 pm »

Is that the definition of the recursive? ESL posting about the quality of suffering?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #735 on: 18 December, 2015, 01:59:15 pm »
Another interesting aspect of the final phase of Kurt's ride is the way that those who like to associate themselves with success have aligned themselves with him. I think of those who were denouncing him as 'UMCA's Golden Boy' earlier in the year, and were calling for his disqualification. Now they're toasting him with fine malt whisky.
I can see why Kurt and Alicia like to drop in for a laugh.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #736 on: 18 December, 2015, 02:02:19 pm »
And Steve has now asked for vehicular assistance during the expected strong winds.
Getting there...

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #737 on: 18 December, 2015, 02:05:30 pm »
I'd like to raise a seasonal glass to your health and well-being, ESL. I shall do so once the sun is over the yard-arm.

« Reply #738 on: 18 December, 2015, 03:45:44 pm »
Another interesting aspect of the final phase of Kurt's ride is the way that those who like to associate themselves with success have aligned themselves with him. I think of those who were denouncing him as 'UMCA's Golden Boy' earlier in the year, and were calling for his disqualification. Now they're toasting him with fine malt whisky.

I don't think it is about aligning with the successful - the upward trend of Kurt's level of social media support was established long before it was clear if he would succeed.

I think it is more to do with how updates from Kurt, even when delivered via Alicia, have been very personal and with a level of detail that involves the reader. That contrasts with the delivery of news from Steve, which from the outset gave me the impression of being heavily managed. Virtually none of it, aside from the odd interview, has a personal feel. 

I haven't posted much here of late but I do keep an eye on these threads and Facebook etc. Like many others, I have made a small monthly contribution to Steve's record attempt from the beginning. I think in the early stages there was a communication to the contributors, but since then there has been nothing. That doesn't bother me much, of course, but it is a minor symptom that indicates a larger problem. No meaningful updates at all, even to those who would be easily reachable via an email list.

At no stage has any attention been given to well-founded advice. Diet, for instance. Those bikes. The average speeds.

I find myself wondering sometimes if my contribution, when combined with those of others, is adding to pressure on Steve to continue things as they are.

« Reply #739 on: 18 December, 2015, 03:48:38 pm »

We're not trying to ride as far as possible on a bike, just wanking about on the internet.

ETA: Change of plan.  Going for a bike ride.

What you do is up to you. The whole structure of the One Year Time Trial interests me. That includes how it's mediated to its audience, and the interaction with those who feel they have a stake in Steve and Kurt.

The media interest ramps up as the attempt seems achievable, Kurt's getting in a lot of magazines, and his personal history forms part of those stories. Steve is going to have to spend more to stand a chance of matching Kurt, and engaging with the media will form part of that, if only to validate those who have already contributed.

Ben T

« Reply #740 on: 18 December, 2015, 04:23:52 pm »
It strikes me that the One Year Time Trial is about redemption. Middle-aged men submitting to an ordeal to exorcise our demons. Kurt's got his relationship history and his pre-cycling chubbiness and the new challenger has alluded to struggling with depression.

At least they haven't got a war to skive.

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #741 on: 18 December, 2015, 05:08:12 pm »
I am afraid that the perception of a team working to get Steve to the record is not consistent with my experience. Several team members worked very hard for Steve -- most obviously those providing local support in and around MK .. but these were day to day logistics -- not long term planning on how best to tackle the task.

Right from the start - it was clearly stated that this was Steve's ride, he knew what he was doing and there was no point in making suggestions. Initially I saw no reason to doubt Steve's own assessment of his capabilities -- just look at his background --so here was a guy who was happy with his own company setting out to ride for a year.

However it is now becoming more and more apparent that this record, even with everything going well is at the limit of Steve's capabilities IF he rides as he is doing at the moment.

BUT tackled differently - with serious planning for the forward months -- and maybe he could do it -- however this would suggest a stop  now -- very careful discussion with the donors about the cash position -working out an ideal strategy and  finding a dedicated support  team with some changes from the current lot .. with maybe a restart on 1st Jan 2017.

Just my input -- all of which maybe complete b*ll*cks
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #742 on: 18 December, 2015, 05:10:36 pm »
Pretty close to my opinions.

Once Steve's deficit gets big enough that he needs to exceed 220 daily miles for the rest of the attempt, the attempt is toast. He's damn close to that now.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

LMT

« Reply #743 on: 18 December, 2015, 05:22:15 pm »
I can see why Kurt and Alicia like to drop in for a laugh.

Dunno about that, however the other bit of your post I agree with. The partisan posts/thread set up having a pop at Kurt when he first set out I deemed as an embarrassment on behalf of Steve and his team, YACF and the UK long distance cycling fraternity.

edit:^ and anyone that has or had an interest in the HAMR.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #744 on: 18 December, 2015, 05:48:40 pm »
ESL, I'm raising a glass of "Suffolk Springer" in your general direction at the moment. Only a Southern Softie beer from Bury St. Edmunds, I'm afraid, but it is perfectly acceptable. Not had it before.

@LMT: at the start of the ride all one had to judge Kurt on was what looked very like a "Let's see what the other guy does and then go one better, 10 days behind". With 11 months of experience, and with Steve having had all the bad luck that he has, that is clearly not the case now, if it ever was, and has not been since April. Is it allowed to change one's opinion in the light of experience?

« Reply #745 on: 18 December, 2015, 06:32:09 pm »

Once Steve's deficit gets big enough that he needs to exceed 220 daily miles for the rest of the attempt, the attempt is toast. He's damn close to that now.
[/quote]

PLUS ONE.

« Reply #746 on: 18 December, 2015, 06:35:31 pm »
I think that it is fair to say that the knockers on both sides have NOT been part of either Kurt's or Steve's respective teams but simply kibitzers, or whatever the terminology is in cycling!

And, I wish those bloody persistent knockers of Steve's gargantuan efforts would bugger off and crawl under a stone too.

« Reply #747 on: 18 December, 2015, 06:40:40 pm »

Re HAM'R, required mpd looks like  increasing to deal with Kurt's new total in early Jan...  I wonder what the projections for this mpd now would be?
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #748 on: 18 December, 2015, 06:48:53 pm »

Re HAM'R, required mpd looks like  increasing to deal with Kurt's new total in early Jan...  I wonder what the projections for this mpd now would be?

If Kurt rounds up the record to 76,000, the new starter miles per day target would be 208.2.

« Reply #749 on: 18 December, 2015, 06:53:12 pm »
If Kurt rounds up the record to 76,000, the new starter miles per day target would be 208.2.

At the current rate it will be above 209.  In fact 210 isn't out of the question.
The sound of one pannier flapping