Author Topic: A wee drop of whisky  (Read 39015 times)

Re: A wee drop of whisky
« Reply #25 on: 15 January, 2009, 11:50:19 am »
I wish I liked whisky, cos I think there's something very sexy about women drinking whisky,

I think it's probably safe to say that Kirst doesn't need whisky or any other drink (yes, even Irnbru) to be sexy...  :D

Oh, and Chocbike's practical advice is good!

« Reply #26 on: 15 January, 2009, 11:50:40 am »
Whisky is like olives. Nobody likes it initially, but the more you try it the more it grows on you and you learn to appreciate it.

« Reply #27 on: 15 January, 2009, 11:51:46 am »

I don't think he mentioned cars too much. He was probably too pissed to drive.

Really? i didn't get past the first few pages cause I got too fed up with the car stuff!

And I agree on the acquired taste thing - keep trying, Kirst!

« Reply #28 on: 15 January, 2009, 11:54:19 am »
I like Ardberg, I might have a tipple when I come over now lol, should I bring cigars?
You can, but you won't be allowed in if you do.  :P No smoking near me, thank you very much.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #29 on: 15 January, 2009, 12:24:36 pm »
I wish I liked whisky, cos I think there's something very sexy about women drinking whisky,

I think it's probably safe to say that Kirst doesn't need whisky or any other drink (yes, even Irnbru) to be sexy...  :D

Good answer.

;D

Whisky is like olives. Nobody likes it initially, but the more you try it the more it grows on you and you learn to appreciate it.

Mmm olives. I didn't like olives until the first time I had Kalamata ones in Greece and I've never looked back. I still don't like tea or coffee though.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #30 on: 15 January, 2009, 12:26:42 pm »
From memory, in the drinks cabinet is:

Lagavulin distillers edition (similar but smoother and sweeter than the 16yr)
Highland Park (a clean Orkney dram)
Scapa (like Highland Park but better)
Aberlour (sweet, a horror the next day if you drink too much)
Aberlour cask strength (needs water, but much superior to standard bottling)
Laphroig (might as well drink tcp)
Penddyhllmmmddyrtyeswsbc  (welsh whisky... not verry nice)
Jamieson (alright for what it is)

« Reply #31 on: 15 January, 2009, 12:55:13 pm »

I don't think he mentioned cars too much. He was probably too pissed to drive.

Really? i didn't get past the first few pages cause I got too fed up with the car stuff!

I must have a selective memory, then. I'm not too bothered about people liking cars unless they start saying that all cyclists should die/get numberplates/drive cars instead etc.  I think Banks has some form on this, but I was obviously blind to it in the book ;D 

bikenerd

« Reply #32 on: 15 January, 2009, 02:13:38 pm »
I was in the offy at lunchtime buying tequila for tomorrow night's margarita fest.
I almost bought some Wild Turkey.
Is all bourbon a crime against whisk(e)y or is it just Jim Beam and Jack Daniels that are foul?

« Reply #33 on: 15 January, 2009, 02:15:22 pm »
Well, the japanese make whisky too... Suntory being a common brand.  It's pretty foul.

« Reply #34 on: 15 January, 2009, 02:17:01 pm »
Jack Daniels is lovely stuff.  As is Scotch. 

You just have to accept they are two different drinks, in the same way that Orange Squash is not Blackcurrent Squash.

« Reply #35 on: 15 January, 2009, 02:21:49 pm »
I agree with Nutty- a good Bourbon is great.
I drank quite a lot of it when I used to visit a customer in Kentucky. There was bugger all else to do.
I also like Penderyn though again, it's not a Scottish malt.

Am I going to hell (for agreeing with Nutty that it is ;) ) ?

« Reply #36 on: 15 January, 2009, 02:47:52 pm »
You're definitely in trouble - you've agreed with me more than once  ;D  I like Penderyn too.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #37 on: 15 January, 2009, 06:51:51 pm »
Isn't it the rule that only whisky made in Scotland can be called whisky, else it have to be called whiskey or bourbon?
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #38 on: 16 January, 2009, 09:09:48 pm »
Isn't it the rule that only whisky made in Scotland can be called whisky, else it have to be called whiskey or bourbon?

Unless it's wisgi.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #39 on: 16 January, 2009, 09:19:00 pm »
A broad question thrown out to the residents of Embra . . .

Is the J & B shop still in town? I once visited many years ago and positively melted a Visa card there.

A little bit of heaven.

J
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Chris N

« Reply #40 on: 16 January, 2009, 09:38:35 pm »
Just poured a [rather large] glass of Talisker.  Just a spot of water, lovely.  :thumbsup:

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #41 on: 16 January, 2009, 09:41:31 pm »
Southern Comfort  :sick:
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #42 on: 16 January, 2009, 09:46:58 pm »
Southern Comfort  :sick:
I used to drink in my youth, one good thing about it, it tasted the same coming up :) If I should smell it now I would for sure make my stomach turn.

« Reply #43 on: 16 January, 2009, 11:09:24 pm »
I have that relationship with Bacardi. Not touched the stuff for 36 years but I know that to do so would make me sick straight away.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #44 on: 17 January, 2009, 02:10:04 pm »
You might like Iain Banks's tour round the distilleries if you're a PetrolHead. A very enjoyable read.

Oi, stop fixing that for me  ;)

I don't think he mentioned cars too much.

To be fair, I'd say it was more "travel stories" than "petrolhead stuff", but given that the great majority of travelling happened in one of his (extensive, at the time) collection of cars (except a brief interlude where he went out on his motorbike).  Personally, I quite enjoyed the travel/whisky balance, but I can see that the cars might get a bit much for some.

As for the Highland Park... Mmmm...   :)

Given a little planning, I wonder how many distilleries one could get round in, say, a week of leisurely cycling..."
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #45 on: 18 January, 2009, 03:20:10 pm »
It keeps growing :) Just got an other bottle of whisky today :)

a wee bottle of Chivas Regal, 40%, 18 years old. Blended. Tasted it years ago and can't remember what it was like.

That is Bamse (Teddy in Danish) there at the end guarding them all, watch out he got a black belt in tajahakachiikamodo and does a mean roundhouse kick :)

« Reply #46 on: 18 January, 2009, 09:21:35 pm »
You've got my week's supply.

« Reply #47 on: 18 January, 2009, 09:26:01 pm »
You might like Iain Banks's tour round the distilleries if you're a whisky man. A very enjoyable read.

Personally I can't stomach the stuff  :)

Read by the author on CD too.  I spent a few evenings chasing him round my drinks cabinet, so to speak  :thumbsup:

When I started on scotch I started on Speyside.  I've graduated now to Islay, and, as things stand, I'm staying put    Seven of the best.    8)

« Reply #48 on: 18 January, 2009, 09:29:19 pm »
When I was a student I worked in a hotel bar in my home village during the holidays. They had (I think) 56 single malts, lined up alphabetically. You've a way to go, Woolly  ;)

My local distillery was Glengoyne. I have no idea what it's like, as I created a lifelong distaste for whisky one new year's eve aged 17. Bleurgh.

« Reply #49 on: 18 January, 2009, 09:34:36 pm »
I paid a visit to the Sligachan Hotel, Skye en route back from a wet and windy Outer Hebs tour in 2005.   I enjoyed a pint of their own brew beer with toast and marmalade for my breakfast at 11 on a Sunday.   If I recall correctly, they seem to have a pretty fair range of optics around three sides of the bar.   Must be close to a hundred.

<edit>

More like 200...

</edit>