Author Topic: Quorn  (Read 13094 times)

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
Quorn
« on: 05 October, 2008, 07:39:20 pm »
I've had it 3 times in my life.

Every time I've suffered violent diarrhœa and vomiting.

Apparently I may be one of the 1 in 146,000 people that have an adverse reation or it may just be coincidence. ::-)

My best mate had it for the first time the other day and reported exactly the same reaction that I have.

Now that's worse odds than winning the lottery several times over!

Anyone else have a problem with Quorn?
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

Re: Quorn
« Reply #1 on: 05 October, 2008, 07:45:21 pm »
No, I love it!

I have read about it making people sick - but the thing I read was branded with some American meat marketing logo, so I thought it was just lies! Oops. Sorry to hear it makes you sick.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #2 on: 05 October, 2008, 07:57:19 pm »
I'm fine with it, but the Quorn fake ham makes me very farty. Or it would, if ladies farted.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Chris S

« Reply #3 on: 05 October, 2008, 08:06:11 pm »
Quorn is recycled sewerage  :sick:.

FFS - if you want to be veggie, fine - eat veggies. No problemo, but still needing a meat-a-like is akin to a celibate requiring the services of a latex doll  ::-).

FatBloke

« Reply #4 on: 05 October, 2008, 08:06:21 pm »
I'm fine with it, but the Quorn fake ham makes me very farty. Or it would, if ladies farted.
After I've eaten Quorn I daren't fart for a week!!   :-\ :-[
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

FatBloke

« Reply #5 on: 05 October, 2008, 08:07:39 pm »
still needing a meat-a-like is akin to a celibate requiring the services of a latex doll  ::-).
Voluntarily or involuntarily celibate?  :-[ :-[

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #6 on: 05 October, 2008, 08:19:29 pm »

FFS - if you want to be veggie, fine - eat veggies. No problemo, but still needing a meat-a-like is akin to a celibate requiring the services of a latex doll  ::-).

But some people don't want to eat meat for ethical reasons while still quite liking the taste of it.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #7 on: 05 October, 2008, 08:20:27 pm »
My sister, who is a vegetarian, spent several years not eating any bread in the belief that she had a wheat intolerance. It only emerged much later that it was quorn that she couldn't stomach. My how we laughed.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

Chris S

« Reply #8 on: 05 October, 2008, 08:22:11 pm »
But some people don't want to eat meat for ethical reasons while still quite liking the taste of it.

Now that's just weird.

* Considers replacing smoking habit with snuff or chewing baccie... *

border-rider

« Reply #9 on: 05 October, 2008, 08:32:17 pm »

Yebbut it's really not anything like meat.  it's a convenience food, but it's low fat & high protein so it's reasonably healthy (for most of us)

Makes a change from soya (which too me is much more like mince, and I don't like) or nut cutlets etc which are OK but a bit high fat, or cheese etc (ditto). Tofu's better but I'd get sick of that all the time.

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #10 on: 05 October, 2008, 08:39:58 pm »
Quorn, it's got weird stuff in ain't it.  Stuff that stomachs aren't made for.  Messes with some people insides.
I shall happily admit that is the extent of my 'knowledge' on the matter.

Fixedwheelnut

• "If it ain't fixed it's broken"
    • My photos
« Reply #11 on: 05 October, 2008, 08:41:36 pm »
 I'm not a vegetarian but I do like Quorn :-\
"Don't stop pedalling"

Pete

« Reply #12 on: 05 October, 2008, 09:21:54 pm »
I'm not a vegetarian but I do like Quorn :-\
Ditto.  We eat it fairly often but not to over-indulgence - same as for any other food.  No problems.  The website that launched most of the attacks on it was an offshoot of the US meat industry: I haven't checked whether it's still active.  Anyway, food allergies are a growing concern...  Yet we have not yet resorted to banning a food entirely because of allergies.

Incidentally, quorn is basically a fungus (not a 'mushroom' - that much was done to death in the courts) grown on milk proteins.  So if you are intolerant of either fungi or milk, you may have problems.  As, indeed, you may, with bread containing yeast - another fungus.

Take note that quorn is not OK for vegans.

« Reply #13 on: 05 October, 2008, 10:14:49 pm »
One of the great tragedies of the Royal NAvy.

We used to have ships like HMS Terrible, or Dreadnought - names to inspire dread and awe.

Now we have ships named after a food stuff!

HMS Quorn!

Hardly likely to inspire terror in one's enemies!

Mike J

• Guinea Pig Person
« Reply #14 on: 05 October, 2008, 10:18:22 pm »
One of the great tragedies of the Royal NAvy.

We used to have ships like HMS Terrible, or Dreadnought - names to inspire dread and awe.

Now we have ships named after a food stuff!

HMS Quorn!

Hardly likely to inspire terror in one's enemies!

It's named after the town of Quorn, rather than the foodstuff I think.

« Reply #15 on: 05 October, 2008, 11:23:22 pm »
or possibly the hunt

Mike J

• Guinea Pig Person
« Reply #16 on: 05 October, 2008, 11:25:13 pm »
or possibly the hunt

Well it said both, but I think I only picked one, as I assumed the town of Quorn was around before the hunt (assuming it gets its name from the town)  ???

« Reply #17 on: 05 October, 2008, 11:34:52 pm »
"it"?

Having checked, it's definitely named after the hunt. The hunt is named after the village, which is where the hounds were kennelled between 1753 and 1904.

Quote from: Royal Navy site
She has established links in Leicestershire with the Quorn Hunt, after which the ship is named, the Quorn village and the town of Melton Mowbray.
It is a Hunt class mine counter measures vessel (not that I recognise any of the others as hunts).

« Reply #18 on: 05 October, 2008, 11:40:26 pm »
What, not even Berkley?
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

border-rider

« Reply #19 on: 05 October, 2008, 11:42:44 pm »
I suppose that if it had been a Pie Class then they could have called it Melton Mowbray :)

« Reply #20 on: 06 October, 2008, 08:31:19 am »
Quorn isn't strictly speaking vegetarian as the tiny things that its made of are in between flora and fauna.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Si

« Reply #21 on: 06 October, 2008, 11:12:00 am »
Quorn I find very hard to take as a meat substitute....just hasn't got the right texture.  But,no doubt due to years of internsive programming, I do need something to go with my plate of veg (I'm not veggie but other members of the family are and it's often too much trouble to cook two different lots of dinners) and Quorn seems the healthiest of the options that I've tried.

Had one of my rare escapes yeasterday as we went out for dinner, had to make up for the meat famine at hme, am now suffering the beef-sweats.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #22 on: 06 October, 2008, 02:29:13 pm »
What, not even Berkley?

I was disappointed that there was nothing named after this lot.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

ian

« Reply #23 on: 06 October, 2008, 05:13:45 pm »
Quorn isn't strictly speaking vegetarian as the tiny things that its made of are in between flora and fauna.

Is true - and they're more animal-like than plant. I bet they cry. Poor little quorns.

I think it's Soylent Green, though. With better PR.

« Reply #24 on: 06 October, 2008, 05:59:19 pm »
What, not even Berkley?
It's not called the Berkeley any more - it's now the Kallisto.
I was going by the RN list of the ones that are still active. I would also have recognised the Cottesmore, but that's been retired too.