Author Topic: Scrumpy  (Read 1618 times)

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
Scrumpy
« on: 31 August, 2016, 07:58:50 am »
We have an abundant pear tree so this year I am harvesting the pears to make scrumpy. I have a cheap chopping thing and press and was just going to juice them up and let them ferment in a plastic brewing barrel. There are however quite a lot of bug holes in the pears - do these matter or can I just regard them as additional organic matter to ferment?
Any advice?
My plan to distill the wash has failed as my airstill will only make safe spirits from specially made wash apparently.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

Re: Scrumpy
« Reply #1 on: 31 August, 2016, 08:11:51 am »
Keep the holes! So long as your brewing kit and kitchen equipment is scrupulously clean, you will be ok.

Where are you? I'm in Somerset if you need to borrow any kit. I've got some good recipes too. For a 'liquid fee' of course

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #2 on: 31 August, 2016, 11:33:09 am »
London. Our house was built on a victorian orchard - we have just the one remaining pear tree but it is big and produces several dustbins full of fruit. I guess the bugs can just squish into the juice and add a bit of flavour.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #3 on: 31 August, 2016, 11:38:27 am »
my experience last year was to chop the pears or apples into big-ish lumps which makes the crushing easier, you can remove the worst of the bug attacks at that point if you want.

Another tip I've read is a quick freezing of the lumps if you have room, which softens them and make the crushing easier.

I also suggest the enlistment of child labour if you have any, it worked for me  ;D

HC is correct though, cleanliness is everything.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #4 on: 31 August, 2016, 11:43:55 am »
I've made cider from our own apples a few times successfully and will probably do some more this year. No special techniques or recipe is needed - just hygiene as noted above.

I put a campden tablet in the juice and allow this to work before adding yeast. I don't know if this is strictly necessary but it was recommended by a local brewing supplies shop.

Warning: it's a messy job but then I'm relying on a domestic juice extractor.
Pen Pusher

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #5 on: 31 August, 2016, 12:04:40 pm »
I have seen a garden shredder used to 'chop' the fruit, using a clean bucket to catch the pulp before spreading it on burlap using the traditional press method.

No personal experience tho...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Scrumpy
« Reply #6 on: 31 August, 2016, 12:12:49 pm »
I don't have a scrutter or press, so a kitchen knife and a 4' Tarmac tamper did the job. Equally clean etc.

Made a day of it with neighbours. Drunk labour is better than child labour.

The campden tablet would have been used to kill 'wild yeast' already on the fruit. That gives you a bit of control over what type of yeast you add to do the fermentation. Wild yeast can produce varying results but then you can't call your brew scrumpy in my opinion.

I never have used added yeast for my elderflower fizz. Most results have been spectacular. One batch got to 16% abv before finishing. A few explosions made a hole in my shed wall. I forgot to add the campden tab at about 11%! I didn't mind the strength, but it was too dry. (The tab kills the yeast, therefore some sugar/sweetness remains)

ElyDave

« Reply #7 on: 31 August, 2016, 01:10:46 pm »
I don't have a scrutter or press, so a kitchen knife and a 4' Tarmac tamper did the job. Equally clean etc.

Made a day of it with neighbours. Drunk labour is better than child labour.

The campden tablet would have been used to kill 'wild yeast' already on the fruit. That gives you a bit of control over what type of yeast you add to do the fermentation. Wild yeast can produce varying results but then you can't call your brew scrumpy in my opinion.

I never have used added yeast for my elderflower fizz. Most results have been spectacular. One batch got to 16% abv before finishing. A few explosions made a hole in my shed wall. I forgot to add the campden tab at about 11%! I didn't mind the strength, but it was too dry. (The tab kills the yeast, therefore some sugar/sweetness remains)

That's pretty impressive abv, I once brewed a port style wine to about 18% by continuous top up with sugar syrup, tasted great and a hell of a kick.

Shouldn't this be in the Homebrew thread?

Tigerrr

• Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #8 on: 31 August, 2016, 06:41:51 pm »
Can I press off different batches of fruit and add them to the fermentation?
Did a load today but in truth only a few litres of liquid - the vessel and the tree have a lot more capacity. I was wondering if I could simply press and add until the barrel is full - or if in fact the lack of liquid and too much air in the barrel will oxidise the whole liquid.

Scrumpy
« Reply #9 on: 31 August, 2016, 07:22:55 pm »
You have the right idea about oxidisation.

Either do it in a series of Demi johns or wait until you have barrow loads of fruit if they store well (not usual for pears)Probably not as it seems an early variety of pear. The advantage of different DJs is they will all turn out differently or you can meddle with the recipe. Clear ciders, cloudy, fizzy etc. Spices, other additional fruits, herbs, different sugars, syrups, honey etc. Also try different yeasts. I've had amazing results with champagne yeast. Best apple cider ever.

The more you open your brewing containers, the more chance of infection. The less oxygen in the vessel, the better quality your brew will be and more hygienic.

The other thing you could do is cook your fruit and make a wine or a fizz of sorts.

I'm also thinking cinnamon. Mulled cider with cinnamon at Xmas no?

Tigerrr

• Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #10 on: 31 August, 2016, 07:55:10 pm »
Hmm - much as I suspected. I think we will have to go for a big harvest and press day. I suspect I will write off the juice form today.
Thanks for the heads up.

ElyDave

« Reply #11 on: 31 August, 2016, 10:32:13 pm »
Demijohn quantities as already noted, or freeze the fruit until you have enough.

You could also freeze the juice for later.

I'm quite surprised you have enough of a harvest this early

Tigerrr

• Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #12 on: 02 September, 2016, 08:03:19 am »
Our pear tree always goes early, ahead of the apples. From the last week of August through september we have a carpet of rotting pears in the garden. We have wasted them for 30 years though.