Author Topic: Yr Elenydd - 13th April  (Read 26240 times)

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
Re: Yr Elenydd - 13th April
« Reply #150 on: 15 April, 2013, 10:37:59 am »
iddu, that tyre failure looks unique, never seen it like that before

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #151 on: 15 April, 2013, 10:40:29 am »
It used to happen to the Armadillos.

H

« Reply #152 on: 15 April, 2013, 11:04:14 am »
Thanks to John and his smashing team for making it happen. No longer an Elenith virgin, it was a privilege to be a part of it.
Also thanks to fellow North London inhabitant, Julian, for waiting patiently on those hills.
Here's a link to my blog:

http://bicyclemaintenancecompany.co.uk/yr-elenydd-300kms-april-2013/

The weather is nice today  ;D

#makewattsnotwar

« Reply #153 on: 15 April, 2013, 11:16:18 am »
Pip, that is a great read, thanks for posting it!

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #154 on: 15 April, 2013, 12:43:56 pm »
iddu, that tyre failure looks unique, never seen it like that before
It used to happen to the Armadillos.

Spot on, Mr H....Delaminated over 33% arc :o, and several smaller ones are starting - duly nuked from orbit

That's a cracking opening line for a story, tho'
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

« Reply #155 on: 15 April, 2013, 12:47:08 pm »
Enjoyable ride with a few challenges along the way, I am sure there would have been an easier 1st 300 but would it have stick with me as long as I expect this one will.

I have posted a ride report https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=70580.0

Thanks Saddleworth Clarion for fellowship and John and team for a great ride.
Organising the Saddleworth Audax's on the 5th July 1015:
200K Bowland
170K Slaidburn
100K Widdop - includes a return up Cragg Vale

Come play in the Pennines with Saddleworth Clarion

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #156 on: 15 April, 2013, 12:59:56 pm »
Well done Nephi - great write up.

Going to be keeping an eye out for your van on events - looks a fine place to go for breakfast!   :)
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #157 on: 15 April, 2013, 06:10:05 pm »
Thanks to everyone who helped me after my fall. I was in too much pain and embarrassment to get names. And a special thanks to the rider who guided me to the control, as I would not have made that.
A lovely welsh man drove me 20km to Aberystwyth and helped me get my ticket. After a 2 hour train ride and a taxi I was back at the beginning. Gutted I didn't finish. But like Arnie; I'll be back!

Really glad you managed to get back okay Chris and once again thanks for lugging my water bottle for me. The lad who helped you to the Bowling
Club is another Mike. See you again when you are fixed.

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #158 on: 15 April, 2013, 07:10:46 pm »
There are, indeed some cracking write ups on here.

U.N.Dulates

• aka John Hamilton
« Reply #159 on: 15 April, 2013, 07:39:34 pm »
Thanks everyone. I've just about recovered myself now.

Final stats were 124 entries, 94 starters and 87 finishers (mostly down to lack of legs/willpower). Not ideal weather conditions (3rd time lucky next year?) but we had our first sub 14hr finisher (45mins faster than last year). Second tandem couple, one Brompton and at least one fixed wheel - so clearly the route is suited to all types of machine (who's going to be first trike or recumbent?). Well done to everyone who finished, and thanks to all my helpers. I'll pass your appreciation on to all the controls.

For those not liking muddy road at The Warden maybe an alternative route could be Slough Hill> Evenjobb> Kinnerton> New Radnor ??
Warden road was particularly muddy this year. The farmer's been finally getting his sheep out into the field this week I think - late because of the snow. That would be an alternative, as would continuing via Discoed and then turning L to climb to Beggars Bush on the B road.

Interested to hear feedback on the alternative routes on the last stage. Who went over Cothercott and into Shrewsbury to avoid the dark side of the Mynd?

Cards are off to AUK and provisional results list is on the AUK website http://www.aukweb.net/results/detail/this/listevent/?Ride=13-748.

Lost property - one mini-LED light (no make/model) found in the hall. Any claimants?

Next years event is provisionally scheduled for Sat 12th April.

« Reply #160 on: 15 April, 2013, 07:55:34 pm »
John, if the lamp is a small one with a thumb-loop, it's probably mine.  I had a great day, thanks.  I'll do a report, soon, but probably submit it to Arrivee*.  Might stick some photos up here, though.

If Cothercott is the hill you go over by following the alternative on the route-sheet, then yes, I took that, along with Revellhino, wilkyboy and Bob from Wolverhampton.  It was easy to be seen that it only saves 50m of climbing.  Turns out that the Long Mynd was fine but we'd heard dire tales about its surface from a thirteen-times-rider at Rhayader.  The alternatve route was absolutely fine, though a little look at the altitude trace on the computer shows just how long the climbing goes on!

peter

*  Don't let that put anyone else off; it's a famous ride - it could easily stand more than one report!

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #161 on: 15 April, 2013, 08:08:18 pm »
Here is my garmin track...

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/298521386

Apparently I burned 9,401 calories climbing 5,658 metres.  Henry mentioned earlier my food intake.  I checked the little bag where I keep my wrappers and I had four fruesli bars, and about 1.5 litres of Hi Five 4:1, but I forgot to mention I also had a banana, and a Latte from RegT at Rhayader, and a can of full fat coke at the Little Brampton penultimate control...

The 'anti-climax' hill was lap 9.  It was 1.14 km - I climbed 127 metres & burned 115 calories, which is nearly a calorie per metre climbed !!!!!
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

« Reply #162 on: 15 April, 2013, 08:11:23 pm »

I've been inspired by these reports. I shall make this an aim for 2014. :thumbsup:

« Reply #163 on: 15 April, 2013, 09:20:28 pm »
Apparently I burned 9,401 calories climbing 9,658 metres.  Henry mentioned earlier my food intake.  I checked the little bag where I keep my wrappers and I had four fruesli bars, and about 1.5 litres of Hi Five 4:1, but I forgot to mention I also had a banana, and a Latte from RegT at Rhayader, and a can of full fat coke at the Little Brampton penultimate control...

I make your consumption only around 1300 calories!  I eat and drank my way through about 4,500.  I'm about 25% heavier so will have used a bit more energy in getting up the hills but, even so, you will have burned a lot more fat than me (and you have more limited supplies!) 

Interesting.  Perhaps I don't need to eat quite as much.  Were your legs still strong at the end on that (low) calorie intake? 

« Reply #164 on: 15 April, 2013, 10:26:45 pm »
Well, I think my ride report is basically the opposite of Bikey Mikey's  ;D

I have never eaten as much on an Audax as this one. I blame this on Undulate's great choice of controls and the efforts of the many willing helpers, as well as my own pigginess!

Instead of a ride punctuated by stops I found this to be a food-fest divided by a few lumpy bike rides instead.

1. Upton Magna - Shobdon airfield
We managed to get in the first group for the off, which had the advantage of being able to check out the derrière of every rider who started the event as they passed us  ;D
Jonah was particularly impressive on his fixie as he stormed past.
I ate a full English breakfast and latte at the control.
Gave way to a light aircraft as we rode along the runway to leave.

2. Shobdon - Builth Wells
The skoggy lane of doom caused some slippage of our rear wheel but we stayed upright. On the descent I told Simon to slow down because I didn't want to die today (had I known what was to come I might have kept my mouth shut).
We controlled at a garage that made very hot coffee and sold Cadburys Creme Eggs. I bought a roll of cling film and applied it to the top of my boots to keep out the impending rainfall. Perhaps one of the weirder items seen on an Audax receipt....

3. Builth Wells - Devils Staircase checkpoint
It pretty much rained from BW to the finish. I didn't care because I had my cling film.
There was great cake at the checkpoint, I ate some and washed it down with black currant squash then sacrilegiously walked up the 25% section of the staircase. We chatted to Wilkyboy on The way up who heroically attempted to ride it on his Brompton but didn't quite make the first hairpin. Once past the worst we were able to remount and not walk anything else, which I suppose was good on a tandem. According to Peter our tandem is long. Someone else called us a tank. My left ITB started to really hurt, and I bitched a bit at Simon as we rode. I think he wished he had brought his noise cancelling headphones. We saw a lot of Iddu in this section, and saw him make his Larrington Manouvre.

4. Devils Staircase - Tregaron
We saw no Tregaron Mountain Toads. We didn't even see any frogs, which from other people's reports leads me to fear we mullered several unknowingly. My ITB was very sore when we arrived, and the locals threatened to take pictures of us lying on the floor doing stretches.
I ate soup, roll with cheese and then cheese on toast with coffee. I was totally stuffed when we left.

3. Tregaron - Rhyader
The Elan Valley was really beautiful, even if the wind was whipping in the wrong direction along it. The rain wasn't heavy enough to obscure the view. I was truly glad we were out on the tandem not holed up at home watching Battlestar Galactica reruns in front of the fire (well sort of).
The Strand cafe had comfy leather sofas on which we dripped and scoffed soup, rolls, cheese and onion pastry and coffee. I was sad I had come ill equipped for Le Dopage, but Wilkyboy was able to kindly supply some Vitamin I. Strangely my ITB didn't hurt again on the ride or since. I must find out who supplies his Vitamin I since mine is clearly less potent  :-\

4. Rhyader - Little Brampton
Simon had a theory that if we made it as far as Rhyader in time then we would be fine. Feeling over-confident and relaxed due to this we availed ourselves fully of our time in hand to relax and pig out at these controls.
The helpers at Little Brampton were insanely organised and served up beef stew with apple crumble and custard desert and more coffee at impressive speed. It was so warm in there I could happily have stayed.
I staggered out and just about managed to get my leg over for the last section.

5. Little Brampton - Upton Magna
Simon cunningly said we could do the alternative route to avoid a bit if climbing and a tricky descent in the dark. Unfortunately there was still a lot of climbing to go, which was frankly unwelcome at this point. I was so relieved the only badger we saw was already dead. The funniest bit of the ride was watching Simon try to get off the bike at the finish. I think we need to get a frame protector for the top tube if we are going to do a ride like this again.
I had soup and a lovely cup of tea at the finish. We were touched by how pleased other riders were with our arrival within the time limit. I'm not sure whether they realised our tardiness was due to about 3 1/2 hours stopped stuffing our faces at controls!
Rows of snoring riders looked very comfy in the hall. We wondered if the epic cycling calf tattoo on display belonged to Jonah.

The 4 mile ride back to the Travelodge seemed an infeasibly long way and we had a hot bath and collapsed into an unconscious stupor. I've personally never felt so stuffed with food or so knackered after an Audax.
It was tough, but in so many ways so worth it.

Thanks to all the other yacf'ers and other riders who made it such a rich and friendly experience, and especially Undulates and all his helpers.
For me this was a must-do audax and probably at the limits of my abilities. It was great  ;D

« Reply #165 on: 15 April, 2013, 10:41:44 pm »
^^^^^^
Although, or perhaps, because it is late, please can you elaborate on the cling film angle?

I think that I ask on behalf of the majority.

Lovely write up.
#makewattsnotwar

« Reply #166 on: 15 April, 2013, 10:44:27 pm »
^^^^^^
Although, or perhaps, because it is late, please can you elaborate on the cling film angle?

Lovely write up.

Cling film over socks and top of boots but underneath the bottom of tights prevents water getting into goretex boots through that major flaw the hole in the top, and also from wicking down the tights into the socks. It looks kind of weird but works. Cling film in Welsh garages only costs 70p a roll  :o

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #167 on: 15 April, 2013, 10:46:56 pm »
I make your consumption only around 1300 calories!  I eat and drank my way through about 4,500.  I'm about 25% heavier so will have used a bit more energy in getting up the hills but, even so, you will have burned a lot more fat than me (and you have more limited supplies!) 

Interesting.  Perhaps I don't need to eat quite as much.  Were your legs still strong at the end on that (low) calorie intake?

I was wondering something similar: "have I eaten too much?"  I think I enjoyed the stops more than actually needing to take much food on board: I started with the intention of eating at Tregaron and bouncing the rest, as I have plenty of fat to burn, I don't need to add more, but stopped everywhere except Shobden.  I reckon I took in something like 6000kcal, of which about 2000kcal were jelly babies (not kidding! :thumbsup:) and both my watch and GPS reckoned I burnt somewhere between 11,000 and 12,000kcal over 19 hours.

This is all a bit new to me, so next time out (Saturday) I am going to try to eat less (after we start), maintain a steady pace and see what happens (I will be carrying a couple of thousand calories of bonk rations just in case it gets nasty in the wee hours  :facepalm:)
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #168 on: 15 April, 2013, 10:50:41 pm »
... and at least one fixed wheel ...

I am sure I chatted with three: two on 67" and one on 75". It's funny how it all comes down to gearing in the end  ::-)

:thumbsup:

Reg.T

• "You don't have to go fast; you just have to go."
« Reply #169 on: 15 April, 2013, 11:07:19 pm »
That was a tough day out for me, despite trying to pace myself a bit better than usual. I hope it was partly me having an off-day (I know it was partly the route too), as I never really felt like I was riding well, and had a few food issues as well.

I wholeheartedly echo all of the positive comments upthread about the route, controls and organisation.  :thumbsup:

My most memorable moment of the day was on the stage after lunch at Tregaron. Cycling along a narrowish lane I was somewhat surprised to be silently overtaken by a buzzard (I think - 4ft+ wingspan) swooping down to just above the road. It was just there for a few seconds and then when about 10 ft past me just swung up, away, and out of sight. An amazing encounter.
Just turn me loose let me straddle my old saddle
Underneath the western skies

« Reply #170 on: 15 April, 2013, 11:21:29 pm »
I forgot to mention I also had a banana
Now that's just cheating  >:(

Some cracking write ups here, it's like audax poetry class  :thumbsup:

Wilkyboy, never again will I diss a Brompton, salute you sir...

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #171 on: 15 April, 2013, 11:43:13 pm »
Wilkyboy, never again will I diss a Brompton, salute you sir...

;D

Some pictures before bedtime:

Arriving at Shobden with one of the heroic fixie riders:

Being dropped while taking photos as we cross Offa's Dyke:

The ribbon of road disappearing up the spectacular Irfon Valley towards the Devil:

Feline and SimonP doing the honourable thing up the staircase (that juggernaut looked mighty heavy to be pushing!):

Iddu on Cenglau (?) after his Larrington Manoeuvre on the Staircase:

SimonP and Feline riding up Cenglau:

I took more, but most are blurry or misdirected or both.

« Reply #172 on: 16 April, 2013, 12:13:15 am »
Some pictures before bedtime:

Couple of nice shots there and some cracking accounts of the ride too.
Terrific stuff.
Garry Broad

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #173 on: 16 April, 2013, 01:05:01 am »
Apparently I burned 9,401 calories climbing 5,658 metres.  Henry mentioned earlier my food intake.  I checked the little bag where I keep my wrappers and I had four fruesli bars, and about 1.5 litres of Hi Five 4:1, but I forgot to mention I also had a banana, and a Latte from RegT at Rhayader, and a can of full fat coke at the Little Brampton penultimate control...

Good guess for 'on the ride' cals - more detail below:-

The day before I eat like a horse..... anything I like, e.g. mixed cereals, mostly oats and rice based for low GI, and fruity stuff like Alpen, and lots of stuff with more fat than you would expect would be healthy, e.g. granola type clusters, in a dinner plate sized bowl - maybe equivalent to  20 x their recommended portions - a real mountain of stuff to chew, which I eat with a tiny teaspoon, so it all gets chewed slowly, and takes quite a while to eat.  Sometimes I will have a second bowl !!  I really do eat like a horse you see....

Breakfast in the hall was a very large bowl of cereal with milk, and a coffee

On the ride:-

4 Frusli bars each c. 115 cals,             = 460 cals,
The banana maybe                                120 cals,
the Frijj chocolate milk                           360 cals
the Latte,                                             128 cals,
the full fat Coke can                              140 cals
Hi Five 2.5 scoops/bottle 210 cals x 2  = 420 cals
total 1,628 cals

After the ride:-

Immediate bottle of whey protein recovery drink (Chocolate !!)  500 cals
Immediate hot pasta dish, large serving   ? cals
Two portions of the dessert sponge 'caik' - forget it's actual name but delicious, plus huge dollop of hot custard - lots of cals??
Coffee and coffee

During lift home 2 bottles of lucozade - maybe 400 cals

After lift home 2 hours later  - actually I had a bottle of ice cold J2O, the red one with raspberry and apple I think..

Then a shower and bed..

My legs?  Many people overtook me during the ride, especially on the hills, but I was hardly ever going flat out. Then I bounced the next control and went ahead of them again, mostly.  I have a policy of not riding faster than maybe 50% of my maximum on the hills...  No point in 'burning my matches', so as I'm not really trying, I'm not really doing much damage, and thus I have less recovery to do, so can do it again the next day.  I really only began to exert myself after the Brampton control - before that the steep climbs raised my heartrate pretty high, but I have been training on multiple repeat hill climbing, e.g. sometimes as much as two hours of nonstop repeats of the climb to the Somerset Monument, about 75 metres up over about 1 km and then back down and then up again, etc etc etc...  My heartrate recovers very quickly, and my legs even quicker.  I flew back from Brampton, climbing the short rises out of the saddle, and accelerating away from the junctions out of the saddle..  today my legs do feel stretched, but that is how they tend to feel on non cycling days most of the time anyway...

Here is a recent 50 km nominated distance DIYxGPS, with a googlemapswalking distance of 72.5 kms, giving me 7 hours 15 minutes to finish the ride - the actual distance ridden was 120 kms or so - it got 2.5 AAA from the estimable Mr S, and I would say it felt and was harder from my perspective than Yr Elenydd, though obviously shorter, but it was 'training', and of course nowhere near as visually stunning !!

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/292797395

I think my heavy mileages and relatively low eating may have caused my body to adapt towards fat burning, and as I mostly avoid going flat out this may also help me to avoid burning my glycogen stocks.  You need a bit of glycogen to burn the fat, but not lots of it, and I imagine my low 'in ride' calorie consumption is high enough to keep topping up the glycogen high enough to be the catalyst for the fat burning.  I guess I may have burned off a kilo or so of body fat, which would have supplied the 'missing' calories, but after a couple of days my weight is back around 60.4 kgs, which was where it was the day before the event.

Follow this link to see a table that might explain things - fifteen hours at 35 grams of fat per hour would account for about half a kilo weight loss, and maybe the rest was a touch of dehydration?

http://highfive.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Figure-1.png
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

U.N.Dulates

• aka John Hamilton
« Reply #174 on: 16 April, 2013, 07:19:42 am »
I have never eaten as much on an Audax as this one. I blame this on Undulate's great choice of controls and the efforts of the many willing helpers, as well as my own pigginess!

Instead of a ride punctuated by stops I found this to be a food-fest divided by a few lumpy bike rides instead.

You've sussed my organising strategy then. Never knowingly underfed.