Author Topic: Hyde Park - Big Screens, Food etc  (Read 2328 times)

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
Hyde Park - Big Screens, Food etc
« on: 30 July, 2012, 12:24:54 pm »
On Sunday, we had an American skater over with us for training and afterwards a few of us decided to head to Hyde Park to watch some Generalised Olympics onna a big screen, drink beer and be merry in Hyde Park.

Sadly for us, this was not to be realised, as there is a ban on any kind of sporting equipment being taken into the park. This caused us a problem because the girls all had their skates on them, never mind that they wouldn't work on the woodchips or even grass of the park. Even if they hadn't had their skates, helmets are also a no-no! Annoyingly too, the security guards, when told what was making the bags so heavy before they went through the scanners only told us afterwards that we couldn't go in. Grr. A team leader did appear pretty sharpish to check on what was going on, but sadly wouldn't relent under the guise of 'if we let skates in, we'll have to let footballs, frisbees etc in too', which is kind of sensible but also kind of dim as the skates couldn't be used but a football could be. Oh well.

My quip that they were letting hundreds of people in wearing trainers, clearly sporting equipment and what if people ran around, was met with the kind of grumpy humph and roll of the eyes that said to me that they had heard that one rather a lot! ;D

So we repaired to a rather nice pub that was 'definitely not recommended *wink wink*' by one of the games volunteers standing at an information hut near the entrance and watched Team GB beat Canada in beach volleyball.

Has anyone made it into Hyde Park? Is it worth making a trip sans sporting equipment?
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

Re: Hyde Park - Big Screens, Food etc
« Reply #1 on: 30 July, 2012, 03:24:02 pm »
So if you turned up by bike and parked it outside, you wouldn't be able to take your helmet in? (Assuming you use one). I mean, if you leave it with the bike, you risk it being knocked, and therefore supposely rendered useless.

Isn't that health and safety truly gone schizophrenic?

What about a wheelchair user in a sporty wheelchair?

I think maybe people need to turn up with increasingly odd sporting equipment trying to get in. Bonus points for a pole vaulting pole.

If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #2 on: 30 July, 2012, 03:35:22 pm »
We were thinking of watching some events in the park, and getting tickets for the closing gig.

But I’m not locking my helmet to the bike; it was expensive and some tool could easily mess with it just for the lolz. I don’t even leave it on the bike at work lest the other cyclists manage to knock it. I’m a utility cyclist and don’t view my helmet as ‘sporting equipment’, thank you very much.

« Reply #3 on: 30 July, 2012, 03:48:51 pm »
We were thinking of watching some events in the park, and getting tickets for the closing gig.

But I’m not locking my helmet to the bike; it was expensive and some tool could easily mess with it just for the lolz. I don’t even leave it on the bike at work lest the other cyclists manage to knock it. I’m a utility cyclist and don’t view my helmet as ‘sporting equipment’, thank you very much.

Just what I thought (and I don't even use a helmet any more, but don't tell my mother).

I wonder if they'd have the nouse to spot a helmet hat, like a Yakkay.

http://www.yakkay.com/
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

Jacomus

« Reply #4 on: 30 July, 2012, 04:01:35 pm »
The really strange thing is that at the Olympic stadium, I saw people walking around with their cycling helmets in their hands or clipped to their rucksacks so the security checks there clearly allow you in with one.
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

« Reply #5 on: 30 July, 2012, 04:04:10 pm »
Am considering grinking them over this. I'm getting quite into the Olympic spirit (might as well, I'm bang in the middle of it all) but this is putting people off cycling when they're supposed to be encouraging it! And what do they think I'm going to do with the helmet once inside?!

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #6 on: 30 July, 2012, 04:08:25 pm »
Leave the helmet at home?
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #7 on: 30 July, 2012, 04:23:54 pm »
Why should I have to, though?

So as not to get this thread banished into Lift the Lid, I’ll just say that I have my own carefully considered reasons for wearing it, and shouldn’t have to leave it at home because someone’s decided I’m going to commit an act of Terror with it…

Jacomus

« Reply #8 on: 30 July, 2012, 04:40:34 pm »
Hmph! >:( >:(

http://www.london2012.com/mm/Document/Documents/General/01/25/44/06/Prohibitedandrestricteditemslists_Neutral.pdf

I have found the list of restricted items... which doesn't include helmets >:(

So not only was it bullshit that they didn't allow skates, they aren't actually sure what you can and can't bring in.

ETA: By bullshit, I mean bullshit for the park, where they will be useless.

Hyde Park - Big Screens, Food etc
« Reply #9 on: 30 July, 2012, 08:31:11 pm »
I was in Hyde park on Saturday and there were plenty of cycle helmets being carried. We were warned on entry that there was no food or liquid over 100ml allowed in.

We turned up with no ticket around 11.45 and walked straight in although it appeared some had fallen for the "guaranteed entry ticket" the stun and others were promoting.

Beer was Heineken, strongbow and fosters at 4.50/5.00 per pint or 6 per 1.5 pint !?

There was one massive screen and 3 very big screens showing different channels.

Food was usual burger/hot dog/ice cream etc ... type mobile vans although there was at least one "vegan and vegetarian assoc" one.

The wood chip was bearable.