Author Topic: What books are we writing at the moment?  (Read 18853 times)

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
Re: What books are we writing at the moment?
« Reply #25 on: 17 July, 2017, 05:20:09 pm »
Just finished uploading the manuscript and publishing the latest novel, a bit of a departure for me as it is about a man and written from his point of view. It is very largely set in and around the city of York and features Acaster Malbis.

The title is "A Longer War" by S.A.A. Calvert, and it should make its way through their publishing system in two to three days.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Steph

« Reply #26 on: 18 October, 2017, 06:20:36 pm »
And again, the book I was writing in parallel is in the publishing pipeline. It is one of the Sussex Border Stories, with the title 'Sisters'. It is a mixture of lesbian romance/relationship story and crime novel. The lead character is a police officer presented with a series of violent assaults to clear up, assaults that are getting steadily worse. A lot of stones are turned over, and sundry vermin revealed.

'Sisters', by S.A.A. Calvert.

Steph

Steph

« Reply #28 on: 19 October, 2017, 11:04:54 pm »
Bloody hell...just seen a comment from USAnia from a couple of months ago, on 'A Longer War'. Gobsmacked!

"Read this book to meet this good man. And along the way, enjoy a wonderful tale masterfully written.

It took me fifteen hours and a quarter of a box of tissues to read this novel. This is the story of an exceptionally good man. The story was so moving it frequently reduced me to sobbing. Not in sadness but in joy. In another novel, one of Calvert's characters exhorts 'be excellent to one another'. And the protagonist of this novel lives this paradigm to the maximum of his ability.

I have read all (I think) of Calvert's prior work. It is very good. This novel is so far beyond good as to beggar my vocabulary in attempting to describe it. Let me just say this: There is a saying that what can be imagined can be achieved. Calvert has imagined a truly good human being. Let us all strive to achieve her vision. Even if we fall short, the result will be glorious"

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #29 on: 20 October, 2017, 08:45:20 am »
:thumbsup:
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Steph

« Reply #30 on: 07 April, 2018, 05:18:33 am »
...and another one published, a police story:

The Job. It's also listed under 'Sussex Border Stories' on Amazon, and I have taken the liberty of dedicating it to three people OTP.

It is set around Cardiff and Barry.

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #31 on: 09 April, 2018, 07:20:29 pm »

The Job. It's also listed under 'Sussex Border Stories' on Amazon, and I have taken the liberty of dedicating it to three people OTP.

Is it scary?

Steph

« Reply #32 on: 09 April, 2018, 07:28:10 pm »

Is it scary?
My books get scary in places, as they are real world stuff, or as real as I can make them.  What I concentrate on is the power of love, friendship, family in the broad sense. Both the Dun Run and PBP  make appearances in the set... as well as the FNRttC

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #33 on: 09 April, 2018, 08:54:39 pm »

Is it scary?
My books get scary in places, as they are real world stuff, or as real as I can make them.  What I concentrate on is the power of love, friendship, family in the broad sense. Both the Dun Run and PBP  make appearances in the set... as well as the FNRttC

Currently reading The Longer War.  O:-)

Steph

« Reply #34 on: 10 April, 2018, 12:48:48 pm »
Have a box of tissues ready. Let me know what you think?

No. Not a box of tissues for that reason, you filthy lot.

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #35 on: 10 April, 2018, 04:44:14 pm »
Have a box of tissues ready. Let me know what you think?

No. Not a box of tissues for that reason, you filthy lot.

???

/Innocence

Steph

« Reply #36 on: 10 April, 2018, 07:12:02 pm »
 ;D

Steph

« Reply #37 on: 13 February, 2019, 09:51:22 pm »
Just had a spooky moment. I will place it in a spoiler box for anyone that might want to read the book. Suffice it to say that I picked a crime for my characters to investigate, and selected a location for it to occur in. It is not a common crime. The Beeb have just reported on exactly that crime taking place in EXACTLY the spot I selected.

(click to show/hide)

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #38 on: 14 February, 2019, 02:57:48 pm »
Life imitates art?

(Actually, I hope that not true as I have just finished a story set in a POW camp near Carlisle at the end of a very bloody British civil war.)
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Steph

« Reply #39 on: 12 March, 2019, 07:01:36 pm »
,,,and again. I have one book which starts with some pretty dire sexual abuse in a secure 'home', and one of the worst culprits, Charlie Cooper, appears in a couple of later books. I had a very, VERY clear image of his appearance.

THIS is how I saw him.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-47258310

Steph

« Reply #40 on: 31 May, 2019, 07:17:01 pm »
That is done, then. Latest book, my 14th, some 179.5K words, is "in review" with Amazon. It is called "Dancing to a New Beat" and follows on from "The Job".

It is a police procedural-cum-romance-cum-Stuff. There is a lot less cycling in this one, but it does include a little bit of climbing, frozz yog, CAIK and BEER.

Should be up on sale in a couple of days, unless they play silly sods with the copyright checks again.

Steph

« Reply #41 on: 06 July, 2019, 07:25:55 pm »
Out and selling... and I just can't leave things alone.

Four chapters into writing No. 15.

Steph

« Reply #42 on: 01 June, 2020, 08:45:48 pm »
I am not going to go into the incompetence of Amazon Kindle...but my paperback version of The Job is now on sale.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B089CZ3ZW3/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3E9WPFT0TNBTV&dchild=1&keywords=sussex+border+stories&qid=1591039886&sprefix=sussex+bo%2Caps%2C642&sr=8-1

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #43 on: 29 June, 2020, 02:35:51 pm »
Shameless plug here.  It's only the first chapter, but I'm delighted to have one of my short stories in a collection published today and available as an E-book on Amazon. The book contains the winners of  flash fiction competition in which writers had to produce a 1,000 word story in seven days, using two randomly-assigned prompts.

You can read my piece as a taster below but then, if you like it, please buy the book as the other 19 stories offer a diverse and intriguing selection of ideas. All profits go to First Story, which is a UK-based charity that puts creative writers into schools to help foster children's creativity through storytelling.

http://tldrpress.org/index.php/1kwhc-flash-fiction-winner-children-of-the-moon-by-rob-mcivor/
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #44 on: 29 June, 2020, 11:03:36 pm »
I scratched an itch about a year ago, and published my book on Smashwords earlier this year. It was a dystopian post-Brexit crime procedural kind of thing - unfortunately bits of it are coming true.

I've started sketching out something a bit more imaginative based on the same 'world' but using a letter I've left for my great-grandchildren telling them to go and find all the places in my sketch books - so it's a future travel journal of a trip round a dystopian England. If it ever gets past the drafting stage.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

ian

« Reply #45 on: 30 June, 2020, 02:15:41 pm »
I am writing the followup to Jess's most recent adventure in poor grammar and spelling mishaps. The gang is back together. A pair of lovelorn angelic (mostly) ex-assassins, a genocidal archangel, a mass outbreak of demonic possession and a plot to invade the realm of the dead, a consequently very cranky Death, a nuclear war in Heaven, two psychotic, bickering demi-gods with a serious case of sibling rivalry, and Jess's ghostly, movie-debating flatmates. Of course, one of those demi-gods is Finestre, current Queen of Hell and honorary Lucifer (because, well, she killed all the other demons). Jess is, on the other hand, trying not to kill so many people, well, not unless they deserve it which it seems they so often do.

ian

« Reply #46 on: 01 July, 2020, 03:27:39 pm »
I totally forgot the zombie babies. There are zombie babies.

Steph

« Reply #47 on: 25 July, 2020, 10:51:20 am »
I totally forgot the zombie babies. There are zombie babies.

My latest was out yesterday, "Lifeline". Abused child finds home with those living in cracks of society. Straights get outraged.

All sounds rather tame compared to Ian's. I am unable to offer zombie babies, but I do have the Kinks, a Triton and Northumberland coasts and castles. And Chester.

« Reply #48 on: 25 July, 2020, 11:37:29 am »
Triton as in Bonneville in a featherbed frame?  I once rode pillion on one of those and not that far from Northumberland.  One of the scariest moments of my life - all that power yet totally powerless!

Steph

« Reply #49 on: 25 July, 2020, 07:25:59 pm »
Not a Bonny, but  still a Triumph in a Norton frame. In another of my books, Cold Feet, a central character has an even nicer beast, a Norvin.