Author Topic: Shower facilities enroute Long Audaxes  (Read 6682 times)

AudaxER

• TributeAudax.uk
    • Tribute Audax
Shower facilities enroute Long Audaxes
« on: 16 August, 2019, 11:16:56 am »
Hello everyone,

Would like to know if (how) Audaxers explore the possibility of a nice warm shower enroute long (600+) and lonely Audax rides? Planning to do a DIY one with possible few hour rest in Hotel de Audax aka bus stops but a warm shower enroute will be uplifting. Are there any websites which points to such facilities? Or, is it a non-issue?  ;D

Re: Shower facilities enroute Long Audaxes
« Reply #1 on: 16 August, 2019, 11:22:55 am »
Do the Flatliner 600, as I plan to on the BH weekend. There are showers at the M62 service at Goole which is the turn around point.
Should make for a less smelly return leg ;)
200, check
300, check
400, check
600, not quite
Check later for more exciting updates ;)

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #2 on: 16 August, 2019, 11:25:23 am »
For 600km brevets it's a non-issue for me. Though I admit that shower in the hotel in Trento half way the Rando Imperator was heaven (I was chilled to the bone).

For 1000km and longer either the organizer is offering facilities or I pre-book a hotel.

« Reply #3 on: 16 August, 2019, 11:30:35 am »
It hasn't really occurred to me to seek out showers on a long ride, but I'm pretty sure I've seen shower cubicles in the toilet areas of some truckstops and motorway services.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #4 on: 16 August, 2019, 12:23:37 pm »
I would think campsites might be ok with letting you use the shower block. Though I'm quite paranoid about my bike, so I'd either lock it up with a u lock or see if I could bring it into the shower with me ;D
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

« Reply #5 on: 16 August, 2019, 05:18:07 pm »
For long DIY why not plot a route that passes friends or relations and make use of their facilities. Not restricted to a shower as you can eat, sleep and arrange a bag drop with clean clothes.
Hear all, see all, say nowt

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #6 on: 17 August, 2019, 06:37:36 am »
If its diy you could also plan a figure of 8 route and use your own shower. Unless you have a particular destination in mind.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

AudaxER

• TributeAudax.uk
    • Tribute Audax
« Reply #7 on: 19 August, 2019, 09:59:54 am »
Thanks everyone  :thumbsup:

I try not to come home in between long rides as I found it being a mental struggle to continue the ride afterwards  ;D.  There is a campsite half-way and will make an enquiry there.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #8 on: 19 August, 2019, 10:08:06 am »
Thanks everyone  :thumbsup:

I try not to come home in between long rides as I found it being a mental struggle to continue the ride afterwards  ;D.  There is a campsite half-way and will make an enquiry there.

I try to avoid it because if you post the ride on strava, even if you have the privacy zone over your house, it is ignored if you leave the privacy zone again, and it will thus lead a trail to your door...

Depending on your route and your timing, don't forget bike shops. Tho not a common facility, there are some bike shops that offer a shower to visiting long distance cyclists.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #9 on: 19 August, 2019, 10:30:43 am »
Warm showers hosts?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

S2L

« Reply #10 on: 19 August, 2019, 10:31:23 am »
It is a non issue

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #11 on: 19 August, 2019, 10:33:07 am »
It is a non issue

No. It really *IS* an issue.

If someone has gone to the effort to ask a question, then they have done so for a reason. It may not be something you worry about, it may be something you don't think is an issue. But there is no need to say that. Your post adds absolutely zero to this thread. It's just belittling someone asking a perfectly valid question.

Your post is up there with "Does it matter?" and "Who cares?" in the pantheon of totally fucking useless replies.

Be better.

J
--

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #12 on: 19 August, 2019, 10:40:02 am »
I am definitely a convert to a mid ride nether regions clean on routed of 400 or more - not sure when I'd hit the point of wanting a full shower but I can definitely see it happening on 600s in foul or hot weather.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #13 on: 19 August, 2019, 10:57:06 am »
It is a non issue

No. It really *IS* an issue.

If someone has gone to the effort to ask a question, then they have done so for a reason. It may not be something you worry about, it may be something you don't think is an issue. But there is no need to say that. Your post adds absolutely zero to this thread. It's just belittling someone asking a perfectly valid question.

Your post is up there with "Does it matter?" and "Who cares?" in the pantheon of totally fucking useless replies.

Be better.

J
Serious questions deserve serious answers, and providing a perspective to show that this worry is not actually so big can be helpful.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #14 on: 19 August, 2019, 11:02:12 am »
Serious questions deserve serious answers, and providing a perspective to show that this worry is not actually so big can be helpful.

That isn't really what he's said tho is it.

If it was, then his post would read something more like:

"I am not sure there is a need for a shower half way through a 600, the ride isn't long enough for my body to get especially manky and need the thorough clean that a shower would give. Maybe a wipe down of the nethers with some wet wipes, but not much more. Obviously your mileage may vary, but unless you've had issues on previous rides, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Good luck"

See how much more helpful that is? See how it answers the question? and isn't just patronising crap? Some might say that it's excessive circumlocution. Others would say it's just being polite...

J
--

S2L

« Reply #15 on: 19 August, 2019, 11:15:46 am »
stop kicking a big fuss and read the original post... the OP also added "or is it a non issue?"

To which I replied that indeed "it is a non issue."

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #16 on: 19 August, 2019, 11:35:31 am »
stop kicking a big fuss and read the original post... the OP also added "or is it a non issue?"

Then at least have the decency to show your working...

J
--

S2L

« Reply #17 on: 19 August, 2019, 11:50:12 am »

Then at least have the decency to show your working...

J

You can either go mod cons and check in somewhere for the night and have a shower or decide not to do so and rough it. The idea of roughing it, but somehow finding a shower en route seems very bizarre... the logistics of carrying a towel for 600 km is certainly more detrimental to the ride than the shower can be beneficial, hence it's a non issue

However, there might be some posh health club memberships that allow you to use all their branches around the country and they might even provide towels, as well as Jacuzzi and sauna and whatnot, which might be an avenue worth exploring for the discerning randonneur*

* the one with mudguards matching the paint scheme of the main frame and a coordinated set of bike bags

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #18 on: 19 August, 2019, 11:57:21 am »
You can either go mod cons and check in somewhere for the night and have a shower or decide not to do so and rough it. The idea of roughing it, but somehow finding a shower en route seems very bizarre... the logistics of carrying a towel for 600 km is certainly more detrimental to the ride than the shower can be beneficial, hence it's a non issue

My towel is 58g (https://amzn.to/2ZmgFoo). Which is probably less than the weight of the mud my bike picks up over a 300k ride on Dutch roads. A tiny bottle of shower gel (tho I use sea to summit pocket soap - https://amzn.to/2KFEJKs), wouldn't weigh much more. Finding a shower purely by chance is unlikely, but I believe the OP is talking about planning it into their route. For which a truck stop sounds ideal.

However, there might be some posh health club memberships that allow you to use all their branches around the country and they might even provide towels, as well as Jacuzzi and sauna and whatnot, which might be an avenue worth exploring for the discerning randonneur*

* the one with mudguards matching the paint scheme of the main frame and a coordinated set of bike bags

Hadn't thought of that as an option.

I did a 300 on Saturday in the rain, and was very much in need of the warm shower I had at the hostel at the end, had I been roughing it, and having another 300 to do the next day, it would have been very uncomfortable, even with clean shorts. Wet wipes would only go so far.

J
--

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #19 on: 19 August, 2019, 01:47:43 pm »
On anything >400k except PBP I used small hotels in villages. Paid in advance (added incentive not to pack before getting there), showered, dossed down 3-4 hours and got on the road again. Usually got there after everyone was in bed, got in using a code, got out before anyone got up. Usually ~40€.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #20 on: 19 August, 2019, 07:27:29 pm »

My towel is 58g (https://amzn.to/2ZmgFoo).
Is it big enough to wear while your (washed) base-layers dry?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #21 on: 19 August, 2019, 08:19:22 pm »
If it isn't, you'll clearly have your dressing gown that no long-distance interstellar hitchhiking audaxer would be without.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #22 on: 19 August, 2019, 09:34:59 pm »
Is it big enough to wear while your (washed) base-layers dry?

No. I have 3 pairs of shorts, one worn, one washed and drying, and the final pair in the bag ready. Shower, put clean kit on, have set drying...

I don't use a baselayer under my jersey, My jersey will dry in a matter of hours while I take a nap. I carry a merino wool tshirt to sleep in.

J
--

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #23 on: 20 August, 2019, 06:04:50 am »
If it isn't, you'll clearly have your dressing gown that no long-distance interstellar hitchhiking audaxer would be without.
Quite so.  :thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #24 on: 21 August, 2019, 11:11:50 am »
Hi

Depending on what time of day / night you're looking to do this - some ideas might be:
  • leisure centres (changing facilities usually have shower facilities),
    sports clubs (if you tell them when you'll be passing beforehand so they know about it),
    some youth hostels might oblige - again you'd probably need to make contact before hand. 
    Garden Centres often have separate toilets for people with disabilities which have privacy and wash facilities - as long as you're not depriving the people who need them, from using them for an unreasonable period of time. You need to ask about in the communities you're planning to pass through... ideally before you set out. 
    if you're riding in summer you may find campsites will allow you to use their facilities too. 
Bearing in mind there's a cost to providing and maintaining these facilities it is, I think, good manners to make a purchase in  café / put money in donation box / offer to pay

Microfibre towels are quite light weight...you don't need to take a whole bottle of shampoo with you...and several riders of my aquaintance use the sort that you get given in hotels...and if you can get them film canisters are handy for chamois cream / sudofed...and if you're really stuck, Sistema make little leak-proof screw top pots (you can get  4 for about £5).

shorts weigh about 150g - so not too much burden...

If you're recce-ing the route beforehand - might you arrange yourself a mini bag drop of vital supplies?

Some "organised" 600k AUK events have facilities at the controls too.

When I had my hip done I couldn't use our over the bath shower and I found alternative facilities in strange places - including one local church.

At the risk of starting a festival of excited postings on a historically well-exercised topic, I understand mudguards are handy for keeping the bum drier than otherwise - and they help to keep road grit off that area too.  Keeping the rear as dry as poss and as clean as poss is probably a good goal - because it keeps the skin in as good condition as you can do.  You want to minimise the risk of getting saddle sores and anything infective getting in if you're unlucky to get one.

Do hope this helps!  Enjoy your ride!