Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3922514 times)

GdS

• I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass
Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #26525 on: 07 May, 2024, 10:15:53 pm »
After a day of sitting around indoors, due to the pissing rain, cooking and eating, I took advantage of a gap in the rain to nip out this evening.

Roads very wet, my ditches runneth over.  Got wet feet pedalling through a small flood near Southwater.  Some time later, I'm whizzing down a lane and get overtaken by one of those trucks with a cage on the back, the sort that tree surgeons use. I pay it no heed. A few hundred metres on, he's stopped in the middle of the road, hazards on. In front of him is a swath of the River Arun, which normally crosses the road by going under a bridge but today was going over the road, covering quite a lot and quite deep.

I thought the driver was just weighing up his options, as was I (There's a bridleway a short way back, but I didn't fancy it much) . No, he'd seen me and was waiting. We put the bike in the cage and proceeded gingerly to the other side. What a Top Bloke.

That warmed my heart  :thumbsup: did you mean the Adur or was it another lane?
Warmed my feet too! Definitely the Arun, as I was going down Kerves Lane.

always better than going up! I avoided it on my ECE to Maresfield last Friday

« Reply #26526 on: Yesterday at 06:29:10 pm »
For the first time since 31st August 2022  :facepalm:, I managed a ride longer than my commute. Only 15km, but a lot better than nothing. It was rather fun. I must get back into riding a bit more.

I only went as I'd left my keys at home this morning and wanted to minimise the length of time the bike was unlocked. If I'd remembered them I'd have gone for a run instead. I went a long way round back home instead of the usual commuting route.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #26527 on: Yesterday at 08:18:46 pm »
https://www.strava.com/activities/11361625334

Had a great day in the saddle - without my smart watch though, we would never have found my phone, money and credit cards.

Full story in the link.

About 60km
"Ott's Law states that the worst weather will coincide with the worst part (for that weather) of any planned ride"

« Reply #26528 on: Yesterday at 09:46:11 pm »
Short 30km loop in the eastern Peak District. I made it up Rowsley Bar for the first time! Garmin says my heart rate went up to 175, I had no idea it could go that high :-) I've seen 170 on Zwift but on the road it normally peaks in the low 160s.
"There are proven ways; play on the certain knowledge of their superiority, the mystique of secret covenant, the esprit of shared suffering"

« Reply #26529 on: Today at 10:55:04 am »
Yesterday. A pleasant 25 miles with U3A group to a newly discovered cafe tucked away down a side street in Hemingford Grey, the 'Grey House Coffee Gnawtybites', 36b Marsh Lane PE289EN. Recommended. Google has its location. Conditions were perfect and backside is beginning to behave again re saddle.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain