Author Topic: Heart Rate Monitors & tacx turbo trainers  (Read 7155 times)

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
Heart Rate Monitors & tacx turbo trainers
« on: 24 April, 2009, 03:34:54 pm »
I've got a Tacx Fortius turbo trainer which is capable of logging data from a heart rate monitor.  I've also got a Garmin 305 (sadly the version that did not come with the HRM)  but was wondering if anyone knew if this would be compatible with the turbo trainer?

I would be mainly using it on the trainer but it would make sense to have one that I could use on the 305 as well if I could.  Nether the Tacx or Garmin sites were much help on this.

Seineseeker

• Biting the cherry of existential delight
    • The Art of Pleisure
Re: Heart Rate Monitors & tacx turbo trainers
« Reply #1 on: 24 April, 2009, 03:40:32 pm »
What do you mean compatible? Do you mean the HR strap you wear? I have a Tacx Flow and a Garmin 305 Edge both use HR. However, the strap from the Garmin though looking exactly like a strap I have from a cheap Sigma HR I have doesn't work. But.... the HR strap from the Sigma does work with the Tacx.

« Reply #2 on: 24 April, 2009, 03:44:56 pm »
I happen to know that Polar HRM belts are compatible with Tacx turbos.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #3 on: 24 April, 2009, 03:56:54 pm »
Will all I need to get the HRM function on the trainer working be a Polar HRM belt then (excuse my total ignorance)?

« Reply #4 on: 25 April, 2009, 11:45:40 am »
I would guess pretty much any analogue HRM chest belt would work, as opposed to a coded digital one. Shouldn't necessarily need to be a Polar.

Polar are sealed units anyway, so changing the battery is not possible yourself, so you might want to try another brand out.

The Mechanic

« Reply #5 on: 25 April, 2009, 12:12:54 pm »
I have a Polar wear-link coded chest strap and it works fine with both my CS200 HRM and Tacx Flow turbo.  You can change the battery too. :thumbsup:

« Reply #6 on: 26 April, 2009, 10:01:26 am »
Will all I need to get the HRM function on the trainer working be a Polar HRM belt then (excuse my total ignorance)?

My partner has Polar HRM and we have an i-Magic using the Forteus software.   She uses the HRM belt and it all works fine.   the battery is replaceable in her HRM strap.

Other belts may work too, don't know for sure.

inc

« Reply #7 on: 26 April, 2009, 10:27:06 am »

Polar are sealed units anyway, so changing the battery is not possible yourself, so you might want to try another brand out.

Polar do three types of strap the old sealed one, still popular where water is involved  and two others both with replaceable batteries which have been the standard type for over three years.

« Reply #8 on: 27 April, 2009, 11:38:31 am »
Ah, thought the coded ones that have the replacable battery wouldn't work with it.