Author Topic: DNS resolution issues on Win 8.1 PC  (Read 623 times)

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
DNS resolution issues on Win 8.1 PC
« on: 24 April, 2014, 12:55:24 pm »
My recently built win 8.1 PC has suddenly decided its going to be slow to connect to the internet (and the virgin pop3 server).  I use Opera mail and Opera as a browser, but it appears not to be browser related, the little network thingy at the bottom right of the windows desktop has a yellow triangle for several minutes after startup, and won't connect to the internet immediately, although other (Android) devices connected to the same router by wifi are fine (they don't use the pop3 part, though).

My wife phoned me to complain about this yesterday (when I was 15 miles away and unable to do anything about it), and mentioned a message which had appeared making some mention of DNS issues. I use Norton Internet Security for this PC and the netbooks, I wonder if there has been some change I am unaware of that could cause this?  Any ideas where I should look, to resolve this?  I allegedly got an email this morning from Norton with info about the Heartbleed bug, but I am so far not totally convinced its genuine, as it contains links, and surely they wouldn't be that stupid, would they? when I get time at home, I'll check out that aspect using Norton itself, not the stuff in the email.  Could the fact that virgin are in the process of upgrading my service from 20 to 50 megabit, be relevant?  I can build PCs, but I know stuff all about how internetty things actually work.  In the past they have generally "just worked"...

yours, slightly confused, Wombat
Wombat

Afasoas

Re: DNS resolution issues on Win 8.1 PC
« Reply #1 on: 24 April, 2014, 11:42:39 pm »
Hi Wombat,
Need some more information to try and diagnose the problem. I'd start with looking at your basic network configuration.

Press and hold <windows key> + <R>
In the Run dialog box that pops up, type cmd and press <enter>
In the command prompt window that pops up (black box with prompt) type "ipconfig /all > ipconfig.txt" and press <enter>
Again, press and hold <windows key> + <R>
Type "notepad c:\windows\username\ipconfig.txt" and press <enter>, where username is the one that's displayed in the prompt in the command prompt window
Copy the contents for the notepad windows that pops up and paste it into a reply here
Close the notepad window

Cleaning up:
Switch back to the command prompt window (Hold down <alt> and keep pressing <tab> until it is selected, and the let go of the <alt> key.
Type "del ipconfig.txt" and press <enter>
Type "exit" and press <enter>

Cheers
Daniel

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
Re: DNS resolution issues on Win 8.1 PC
« Reply #2 on: 25 April, 2014, 08:00:07 am »
I'll give that a bash tonight, but I suspect a resolution will not be obvious, because the accursed thing behaved itself perfectly last night!  Thanks!
Wombat