Author Topic: cuesheets for googlemaps  (Read 981 times)

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
cuesheets for googlemaps
« on: 07 May, 2013, 01:04:01 pm »
"Can't Climb" has reminded me about cuesheets. a similar product to gmaptogpx from http://winthefight.org/cuegle/

I use Cuesheets when I'm developing new routesheets because, uh, you get a cuesheet reference for each turn. Load it up into Excel and step through the route on googlemaps/streetview to filter the Cuesheet directions and prose into a coded routesheet.

However there is another feature that may appeal to those who just want a gpx track to download; it will also optionally generate waypoints showing the cuesheet text, as determined by the UI which allows the user to select none/some/all of the waypoints.

Now of itself, that feature doesnt really suit our purposes as there are simply too many waypoints (well, too many for my eTrex Vista anyway).

However there is a way of limiting the waypoints to the cuesheet entries associated with the Googlemap 'Destinations' i.e., the Controls.

The default cuesheet has all entries (turns) selected. Simply use the toggle field on the top left of the cuesheet grid to deselect all waypoint entries and click on 'Generate GPX Output' and you get a track with flagged waypoints for the Destination cuesheet entries.

How is this possible? Well, if you look closely you will see that the selection field for the cuesheet entries for the Control Locations is greyed out/permanently set.

So, if you copy and paste the gpx output into a gpx file (use notepad and save the file as a .gpx) and look at the file using mapsource you will find a track and a set of editable waypoint with flags.*

Oldskool but works just fine.

*I'll claim some Kudos for this as I had a chat with Kyle who developed & maintains cuesheets to request this feature, but really, Kyle's the Man.