Author Topic: Alternatives to Exped  (Read 8453 times)

Re: Alternatives to Exped
« Reply #25 on: 30 July, 2016, 11:50:17 am »
The regular will neatly replace almost exactly the medium Synmat 7 that has given up the ghost so mllePb will be happy with that.

« Reply #26 on: 30 July, 2016, 12:34:58 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions folks.

I think that the winner will be the Thermarest Neo Air Trekker, size regular.  It will be an interesting game to compare two competitor mats side by side.

A fine choice. Some have said worth getting the large for extra width and with the added length you can fold the end to make a pillow. I can't crack the pillow method and my regular JUST fits in my 1 man tent. I sleep on my back so I don't need the extra width.
A few weeks ago I bought a long one and almost immediately used it on a 4 weeks tour.  Luxury.  I bought the long simply to give me a bit more head room, although only 5' 9" I find that my pillow dangles off the end of a regular.

I bought a Trekker because it is claimed to be more robust than the light one, and some years ago I had a first generation Neo Air puncture twice in only a few uses - always at the seams.  In recent years I've had a couple of lightweight self inflators fail on me, probably my own fault through over inflation or being left in a hot tent, so I am being extra careful with this one.

« Reply #27 on: 09 August, 2016, 09:32:10 pm »
Just hit the button on a Neo Air regular.   Even paid to have it delivered next day as somebody has decided that we should go camping at the weekend. 

Phil W

« Reply #28 on: 09 August, 2016, 11:14:08 pm »
For extra warmth. Take an emergency silver blanket. Cut to size of mat. Put strips of Velcro on foil. Put matching ones on mat. Attach silver foil to bottom of mat. Very effective and relatively cheap.

« Reply #29 on: 16 August, 2016, 03:17:22 pm »
So, first two nights on the Neo Air Trekker size regular.   

It was no hassle to inflate and as comfortable as a synmat.   It is very slightly narrower but I didn't really notice this.   Being longer it made my pillow arrangement much easier which I liked.

It was warm enough and didn't squeak but then we don't really notice the Exped squeak either.   

Slightly pricier than the Exped and as practical, if not more so, so now I wait to see how robust it proves to be.

Not sure about the bright green colour though...