Author Topic: Brake options for Ergos  (Read 276 times)

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
Brake options for Ergos
« on: 16 April, 2024, 11:10:13 am »
My general purpose runaround has flat bars, V brakes and 35mm (ish) tyres. I want to convert to drops as I've never really been totally happy with the flat bar setup. I already have some old shifters (Campag 10sp - I'll Shimergo the rear derailleur) and I want to do the conversion with minimum fuss and expense, ie no new disc brakes, wheels etc. That stuff can wait for later if I so wish.

As I see it, my brake options are:
1. Mini V
2. Standard V (as I currently have) with Travel Agents
3. Cantis

What experiences can the panel convey?
Pen Pusher

Re: Brake options for Ergos
« Reply #1 on: 16 April, 2024, 11:14:40 am »
Will the Mini V definitely clear the tyres? This sounds quite a lot like an old school CX setup, and Mini Vs have really bad mud clearance compared to Cantis or full sized V brakes.
In terms of setup and power, Mini V are better (easier and more powerful) than cantis from my experience, I've not tried a travel-agent.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2 on: 16 April, 2024, 11:19:55 am »
Good cantilevers work fine but some people find proper adjustment time consuming or confusing.
V-brakes with Travel Agents can be tricky/ time consuming to keep in good adjustment as the pads wear.
Mini-Vs are pretty simple to adjust but I use fixed position noodles, rather than flexible noodles, and have barrel adjusters on the noodles or elsewhere along the brake cables. Otherwise pad wear quickly bottoms out the brake levers under hard braking. The limited tyre and mudguard clearance may be an issue.

Good pads (e.g. KoolStop Salmon) and compressionless brake cable housing are worthwhile. https://jagwire.com/products/housing/pro-compressionless-brake-housing
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #3 on: 16 April, 2024, 11:26:32 am »
Will the Mini V definitely clear the tyres?

I've measured and the 90mm Tektro ones will.

Mini Vs have really bad mud clearance compared to Cantis or full sized V brakes.

This is definitely a concern in case I do some comedy off-roading.
Pen Pusher

« Reply #4 on: 16 April, 2024, 01:56:08 pm »
If you go the mini V route, be aware they're not all the same, the length seems to vary between 85 - 95mm and the longer the arm the more cable pull required. There was an online list, but the link I have is dead.  I had some Shimano Sora ones (90mm arms) with Campag 10 speed levers, they worked fine but did need to be kept close to the rim.  Used with 32mm tyres and guards, though I can't remember if the maximum tyre size was dictated by the brake.
I've had mixed results with canti's, the only ones I really haven't liked were the Tektro Oryx.  The wide ones that stick out, like the Tektro CR720, offer loads of clearance, but are the least powerful.  The mid profile ones, like some Shimano and the bling Paul Components Touring, are IMO as good as a mini V.