Linked Events

• Tyne Tunnel: 15 October, 2011

Author Topic: Tyne Tunnel  (Read 27631 times)

LindaG

Re: Tyne Tunnel
« Reply #125 on: 11 October, 2011, 09:11:30 am »
Me and tiptop are doing a version of the Tyne Tunnel ride on Saturday.  We're meeting up in Newcastle on Friday night, doing Chips and Beer, staying at the youth hostel, and riding on Saturday.  Crinklylion is joining us for Chips, Beer and Youth Hostel. 

If you're around, say hello.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #126 on: 15 October, 2011, 10:54:50 pm »
it was indeed a grand evening - i'm just a bit  :'( that i had to wave you all off then go jump on  the metro and the train home rather than coming out for a ride.  ah well, just have to do it again another time :)

LindaG

« Reply #127 on: 16 October, 2011, 12:02:49 pm »
Well that was absolutely bloody lovely.  As a neat bit of preamble to this ride, I spent Wednesday and Thursday night, respectively, camping beside the North and South Tyne (see elsewhere), followed by Friday night at the Youth Hostel in Jesmond.  Saturday we did the Tyne Proper.  Crinklylion, tiptop, "Slow"Coach and myself went to The Carriage in Jesmond on Friday night.  "Slow"Coach was the hero of this adventure, since, in spite of carrying out many heroics at work all week, he still managed to make the pub, and to provide insider knowledge of the area when navigating.  Not to mention being marvellous company, all the time.   :-*

The Carriage sells proper BEER but had run out of toasties, so we got a takeaway from the excellent Indian restaurant next door and ate it in the pub.  At the barman's suggestion, mark.

Thou shalt photograph the food. 

Much silly banter later, followed by a night in the youth hostel (where we met a dishy paediatrician and an Australian traveller-girl), we said goodbye to Crinklylion

then set off in sunshine and blue skies to cross the Mighty Tyne by as many different means as we could fit in, whilst pausing to admire stuff and be silly.  There were many, many bridges, in addition to the famous ones, but someone has made a handy list of the most iconic crossings.

Yes, that is Crusty sneaking into our ride.  Apparently there was an important Game With Balls happening, but having watched it, Crusty joined us, which was fantastic as I hadn't seen him for five days and was having withdrawal symptoms.  No-one does crusty like Crusty. 

Tragically, I had filled up the memory card on my phone with photos of Northumberland, so "Slow"Coach may well have the best ones of this ride  :-[  But I got a few, and here they are in roughly chronological order.

We couldn't believe our luck with the weather - one of those sunny October days with golden light and a light breeze, from start to finish.  It showed the route at its very, very best.  Newcastle is one hell of a city, with enough to do for a week's holiday.  We talked about coming back and making a proper weekend of it.

We followed the River downstream through Walker, where it passes the very end of the Roman Wall.  Here is YACF conquering the North Kingdom.  Yes, they really are standing on Hadrian's Wall.  Helmets donned just in case.

In the history of our great nation, this was a big river.  But that was long ago.  Remnants of a mighty industrial heritage are everywhere, not least the Swan Hunter shipyard where my Grandfather and Uncle worked, now a shadow of its former self.  But you can still see the huge slipways, dry docks and boat sheds from the cycle path.

Random bridgery.

Up to Tynemouth, tiptop chatting to the fishermen catching crabs, pottering about on the beach, and eating ice cream, past the Priory, and a stroll to the lighthouse.  Such a clear day you could see as far as Lynemouth to the North.  Then back past the fish quay where the smell of fish and chips had me drooling, and on to the Shields Ferry for our first crossing of the Tyne.

To Jarrow, to meet Crusty.  We had hoped to make it to Souter Lighthouse for a National Trust lunch, but time was getting on.  Which means we'll have to come back another time, doesn't it.  Instead we had a quick Morrisons lunch.  More proud history.  It was 75 years since this

Plus ca change ...

And, at last, the Tyne Cyclists Tunnel, which is as much fun as I had hoped with much echo-ey goodness, wooden escalators, and nice fonts:

And that's the end of my photos.

The next crossing was the Millennium Bridge, a very Good Bridge, much used by pedestrians and cyclists.  Then over the Swing Bridge, which gave some really beautiful views down (and up) the river; then some traffic jiggery-pokery to get us over the Robert Stevenson High Level Bridge.  I took my time crossing this one, it was absolutely gorgeous.  And, finally, with a bit of very swish lane-negotiation by "Slow"Coach, the Tyne Bridge.  A Good Bridge to finish on.  Had we had more time, we'd have fitted in a trip to The Angel.  Again, a ride for another day,  I think.  We made our way, gently, to the Youth Hostel, where tiptop and I collected our bags, then we split up as tiptop had a train to catch, "Slow"Coach was collecting his car, and Crusty and I retraced our pedal-strokes to Jarrow and a final traverse of the Tunnel to collect our car.  It was nearly dark by then, and the views of the City, street-lit to the horizon, under a pink sky and a true Harvest Moon, a fitting end to a perfect day. 

Thanks to "Slow"Coach, tiptop, and Crinklylion for their most excellent company, and also to Crusty for turning up  ;) 

Well worth the wait this one.

« Reply #128 on: 16 October, 2011, 12:12:00 pm »
/dies with jealousy.

Where to start?
As a lass, I used to drink in The Carriage of a Friday Night. They (way back when, obv) had a very lax attitude to under 18s.
All that Quayside stuff has had quite some regeneration since I last pedalled a falcon along it. I would probably have bored you all senseless with 'when I was last here's.
It looks brilliant.
Sob!

Keep me informed for the re-run...

(Incidentally, CL's orange hair looks brill :))

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #129 on: 16 October, 2011, 01:19:24 pm »

Keep me informed for the re-run...

& me please.

« Reply #130 on: 16 October, 2011, 01:23:22 pm »

thelazycyclist

• where's crusty?
    • thelazycyclist
« Reply #131 on: 16 October, 2011, 08:20:35 pm »
Yes, I was there too, although I didn't get there till around 1 pm.  I spent the morning sharing the collective trauma of the Welsh nation in seeing Wales unjustly knocked out of the Rugby World Cup.  I am not Welsh but I can't imagine being more upset if I was.

I decided to park up at Morrisons in Jarrow, near the southside tunnel entrance and try to hook up with the others.  They were in Tynemouth and about to cross on the Shields ferry so it was decided I would follow Route 14 along the south bank of the Tyne and meet them. 

I met Slowcoach, Tiptop and LG at Asda in South Shields.  After 5 days apart I got a very nice welcoming hug from LG.  Pretty much as soon as the hug was complete, we started arguing.  Some of this was due to my being annoyed with myself for not being able to find my way back out of South Shields the way I had just come in.

Bloody Asda!  It was like the Death Star, tractor beaming us back into itself.  Whichever direction we tried to leave South Shields in, we ended up back in front of the bloody green Asda logo.  All the roads looked the same.  It was like being in a maze. 

Eventually after going down loads of streets I had no recollection of, we got out of the town and after a brief spat with LG, I realised it wasn't my fault that we had been going round in circles.

We made our way back to Morrison's in Jarrow, had a spot of lunch and then down into the tunnel we went.  It was pretty short, but very echoey and we all got pretty giddy taking photos and messing about like small children, laughing at stuff for no reason, like drunk people do, but we were just drunk on fun.

Out the other side, we made our way along the north bank and came into the centre of Newcastle in the middle of a beautiful sunny Autumn day.  The quayside was full of excited chatter and there were so many cool things to see.  Sadly LG's camera had run out of charge, so we couldn't take pictures, but hopefully Slowcoach will have some.

We rode over the Millenium Bridge, the Swing Bridge, the High Level Bridge and the Tyne Bridge, expertly guided through the traffic by Slowcoach.  And the views were amazing.  And it was coming around to evening, and the people leaving work were crossing over with the people arriving for a night out, and the whole city was buzzing with excitement and gratitude at having this lovely Saturday, after so much crap weather.

We said our farewells at the Youth Hostel to Tiptop and Slowcoach and as the sun went down we put our lights on and rode back along the north bank to the tunnel and back through it to Jarrow, and home via the chip shop.

All day LG was like an excitable child full of wonder and having the time of her life, and she never stopped saying how brilliant the day had been.  And she said that even some of the bits after I got there were brilliant too, even though I was a bit grumpy at times. 

I was just glad that there was a beautiful sunny day out there, and a Tyne Tunnel ride to go on, and some brilliant people to go on it with, because it stopped me moping after the rugby had finished.  Being able to get changed immediately after it to go on a cool bike ride gave me a sense of purpose, and perspective, even though I'm still very upset for the Welsh.

The friendly landlord helped us put our bikes into his very big shed.  Very carefully we did not fall into the acid bath which was there.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #132 on: 17 October, 2011, 01:35:51 pm »

we need an emoticon for a wolf-whistle
 ;)

« Reply #133 on: 31 October, 2011, 07:30:11 pm »
OK - two weeks too late - I've finally got around to getting my Tyne Tunnel pics up...

The Bridges of the Tyne

Cranes

The Tyne Downstream

Mouth of the Tyne

Icecreams on the Beach

Tynemouth Priory

Aboard the Shields Ferry

This Way to the Tunnel

Explorers at the Mouth of the Tunnel

The Tunnel

Entering the Tunnel

Crusty and LG

The Industrial Tyne

Millennium Bridge

Crossing the Millennium Bridge

Baltic Square

Revellers Leaving the Hilton Hotel

The Swing Bridge

The Swing Bridge Again

Tyne Bridge

The New Castle and the High Level Bridge Entrance

The High Level Bridge

Tyne and Swing Bridges with the Sage Behind ("The Silver Slug")

Young Lovers by the Tyne

Tyne Bridge

And finally, my relief at not getting too lost

« Reply #134 on: 31 October, 2011, 07:50:03 pm »
*swoon*

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #135 on: 31 October, 2011, 08:01:30 pm »
absolutley fantastic pics SC :thumbsup: some of which bring back happy memories of the early & mid '70's.
A terrific city 8)

CrinklyLion

« Reply #136 on: 31 October, 2011, 08:36:48 pm »
*swoon*

[slightly mournful and wistful tone]

Ww will do it again.... won't we?  When me and fboab can come too?

[/slightly mournful and wistful tone]

CrinklyAuntie

• aka Auntie Cake and The Sheriff of Christmas
« Reply #137 on: 31 October, 2011, 08:42:45 pm »
*swoon*

+2 (me and CrinklyUncle)

Fabulous pics :)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #138 on: 31 October, 2011, 08:46:38 pm »
Are n00b tricyclists allowed? :)

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #139 on: 31 October, 2011, 08:47:22 pm »
I would make an effort to attend the next one

LindaG

« Reply #140 on: 31 October, 2011, 09:01:32 pm »
Are n00b tricyclists allowed? :)

The possibility of n00b tricyclists would be a great incentive to do this again.

I would make an effort to attend the next one

And so would this.

*swoon*

+2 (me and CrinklyUncle)

Fabulous pics :)

And, most definitely, all this.

So.

When?  This Christmas?  Next summer?  Same time next year?  Who fancies the youth hostel?

« Reply #141 on: 31 October, 2011, 09:18:09 pm »
In the spring. Easter, after the arrow.

No hostel for me.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #142 on: 31 October, 2011, 10:02:19 pm »
How about doing Tyne Tunnels & Bridges over a weekend if necessary time-wise?
Two birds,one stone  and all that.

LindaG

« Reply #143 on: 31 October, 2011, 10:04:30 pm »

There's only one tunnel, and we did the bridges and the tunnel in one day the other week.  Why would it take a weekend?  Or am I being dim?

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #144 on: 31 October, 2011, 10:06:28 pm »

There's only one tunnel, and we did the bridges and the tunnel in one day the other week.  Why would it take a weekend? Or am I being dim?

I expect not.
My perceptions have become distorted since I last spent any amount of time there.Obviously been away too long.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #145 on: 31 October, 2011, 10:07:38 pm »
Tyne Tunnel and Tees Bridges would make a cracking weekend.

*has a charlotte-esque little moment at the very thought of it*

LindaG

« Reply #146 on: 31 October, 2011, 10:09:31 pm »
Oooooh ...

Steve GT

• Crediamo in te, bici!
« Reply #147 on: 01 November, 2011, 06:43:34 am »
Like Jogler, I was also under the impression that the Tyne Bridges and Tyne tunnel were 2 rides - mainly due to the 2 seperate topics  - Doh! :-[
Lovely photos, and we will join you for the next one. 

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #148 on: 01 November, 2011, 08:49:32 am »

Ruth

« Reply #149 on: 04 January, 2014, 11:52:59 pm »
Just putting this out there again.  Reminiscing about a lovely, lovely day.  Bump.  Or whatever.