Author Topic: RESCHEDULED! Events from Awbridge 2nd Feb. BRM 18-486 and BP 18-485 Now 9 Feb  (Read 3306 times)

There is very little weather related disruption in the area around the start/finish, and the forecast for Saturday is still good, so at the time of posting:

Round the Plain (204km BRM)   and  (No) Breakfast at t'Milburys (100km BP) will go ahead as planned.

The routes are designed to stay at low level and are generally as free of snow and ice as any I can find, but they do use minor roads to avoid traffic, and may not have been gritted, so I cannot guarantee the absence of ice all around the routes. 

Riders are reminded that it is their own decision whether to go out or not.
Free entry on the Perm version of Round the Plain for later in the year if you choose not to ride on Saturday....  but of course that will not be a BRM / PBP Qualifier.

Edit:   See below

Smeth

• less Grimpeur than Whimpeur...
Re: Events from Awbridge 2nd Feb. BRM 18-486 and BP 18-485
« Reply #1 on: 01 February, 2019, 01:38:48 pm »
Looking forward to it. , Rapid thaw around Salisbury and N. Forest.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

« Reply #2 on: 01 February, 2019, 02:40:39 pm »
Things were looking good all morning - but it's snowing again now at start/finish - and about 6" deep elsewhere.

Very reluctantly therefore:
Round the Plain (204km BRM)   and  (No) Breakfast at t'Milburys (100km BP) are now cancelled.

I will be checking Hall availability for a postponement date, but if not, in accordance with weather cancelled events process, riders will have the opportunity to ride on date of their own choosing (before end Feb) as a postal finish event

I will be at the Awbridge Hall in the morning - just in case wants to pick up their cards and join Smeth tomorrow and chance it.
Burbage hall won't be manned.   Get receipt from garage on roundabout, or continue to Pewsey for a feed at Applecart cafe.

« Reply #3 on: 01 February, 2019, 03:15:26 pm »
Thanks for keeping us up to date. Always a tough call but I'd say there's a good chance that slushy stuff will freeze overnight making it 'interesting' to say the least.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #4 on: 01 February, 2019, 03:35:08 pm »
The view from home...

About 8" deep ATM (without drifting), so 50/50 whether I'd have even made it to Burbage for the control.

Edit: but Fatbike fun FTW tomorrow if it hangs around ;D
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

« Reply #5 on: 01 February, 2019, 04:01:15 pm »
Not a easy decision to have to make, hopefully all riders will understand
Better to cancel and not have rides falling off and breaking bones etc.

« Reply #6 on: 01 February, 2019, 04:03:39 pm »
Some questions now it's been officially cancelled:
1. Any links as to how the 'postal finish event' method works? As in how do you get the Brevet card? Does the org post them out or should we collect them ourselves tomorrow or just do the event get PoP/receipts but what about any info controls or gpx log or etc...
2. If we do the postal finish, will this count as a BRM for PBP purposes? Luckily I've got the Dorset Coast lined up, so shouldn't be an issue for me.

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

LeFlic

• Retired and enjoying it!
    • Somer Valley Cycling Club
« Reply #7 on: 01 February, 2019, 05:06:48 pm »

I have just seen this after sending you an email saying I would not be riding.

I think you had no choice but to cancel, apart from my journey to the start from Somerset I was not looking forward to frozen snow at the start.

Tough to make this call but no doubt the right one thank you. I look forwards to riding this later in Feb. In the meantime I’ll be on the turbo tomorrow morning instead to be with Smeth in spirit if not reality. Good luck to all who brave the conditions tomorrow.

Smeth

I'm out of the Perm as well (for tomorrow) despite having calculated some extra k's to avoid some ice. Thanks for trying to keep it alive Somnolent, especially after a lot of effort organising.  I've watched the worsening forecast all afternoon and the closure of a stretch if the M3 and an ice warning centred on the course pretty much sum it up. For me hope springs eternal until it gets crazy, and I wanted to be positive as I know how much organisers dislike and suffer from riders spreading alarm and despondency on social media.

But good call, and if anyone's feeling keen there will be an NFCC gravel ride sticking entirely to the tracks at least for the first hour. 0900, Standing Hat car park. Near Brockenhurst.

Good call!  It was looking promising this morning, but I had a slow ride home to Romsey from work this evening in tricky conditions, and that was on fairly main roads.  Looking forward to the rescheduled event, if you can arrange it.
Let your mind unravel ... down that road you're travellin' ...

Good call!  It was looking promising this morning, but I had a slow ride home to Romsey from work this evening in tricky conditions, and that was on fairly main roads.  Looking forward to the rescheduled event, if you can arrange it.
Was that you I saw on the A3090 in Ampfield ?   Only rider I saw this evening.

Re: Events from Awbridge BRM 18-486 and BP 18-485 !RESCHEDULED! Now 9th Feb
« Reply #12 on: 01 February, 2019, 08:25:07 pm »
Good news !
Awbridge hall booked for next Saturday - Rides rescheduled for 9th Feb.   
Email going out to all original entrants.

Hope many of you can be available.

No new entrants on calendar events, sorry, but you can do the 200km as a Perm. 

Email confirmation follows when Mailchimp gets its act together.

Excellent news re next weekend, many thanks for all your hard work, especially over the last few hours. See you next Saturday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

« Reply #14 on: 01 February, 2019, 08:39:22 pm »
Some questions now it's been officially cancelled:
1. Any links as to how the 'postal finish event' method works?
http://www.aukweb.net/events/postal/

But actually no need for going postal now.
Hoping a 7 day postponement will give us rideable roads.... both events will now run 9th Feb for original entrants only.
Start/finish hall rebooked (amazingly)
No Burbage hall on the 200 though, sorry.

By keeping to original rider lists and having a new fixed date we can treat it as a Calendar event - I'm waiting on confirmation that it will still be classed as BRM (and therefore PBP qualifier)
Any new entrants or free date (as I was originally thinking) and it would count as a Perm and therefore definitely not BRM

Now to see if i can get next Saturday off work so i am able to ride.

Smeth

0900, Standing Hat car park. Near Brockenhurst.
Now changed to 1000, As if anyone was that daft. I'm in for next week, BRM or otherwise.

BRM status confirmed for the 200km.
And you'll barely have to pedal at all the last 60km back from Warminster !

Don't forget - No need to go to Burbage village hall for control, just get receipt from garage at roundabout, or from anywhere up to Pewsey

Anyone leave their helmet, gloves, head torch, at Awbridge?
Let me know if you can collect or if you need me to post?

Well done Peter. Lovely route, only a bit of climbing (unless you include the Dutch sort) and a brilliant welcome at the Arrivee.  Slowed a bit by lighting issues but OK. Commiserations to the Pompey massive and their multiple visitation although there were plenty suffering. I must do it again in summer as a perm.
Reine de la Fauche

Hi all,

I couldn't make the 9th, so will be riding this on the 23rd (this Saturday coming) starting from Awbridge Village Hall at about 08:30 (riding up from Southampton Central station). Happy to join forces if there are others riding on that day.

Ian