Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 951880 times)

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #4375 on: 19 September, 2014, 01:06:31 pm »
Doeschn't he allwaysche ushe the schame acshent regardlesche of the dialecht required? :demon:

Moshtly.  As Spindrift reminds me, he does seem to think he can do Irish. Or should that be Oirish?  Tom Cruise fand/or virtually everyone in the film The Quiet Man hold the record for worst Irish accents on film I reckon.

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #4376 on: 19 September, 2014, 01:09:37 pm »
I was talking about this the other day, the best ever English accent was Renee Zellwegger, she nailed that annoying upper middle class inflexion.

David Cameron does a pretty good English accent for an alien fucking lizard creature from another galaxy.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #4377 on: 19 September, 2014, 05:40:57 pm »
I'm sorry but you are all wrong.

The most inappropriate accent of all time, in any film ever made, was this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AejZxaYkekM
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #4378 on: 19 September, 2014, 06:55:08 pm »
I'm sorry but you are all wrong.

The most inappropriate accent of all time, in any film ever made, was this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AejZxaYkekM

"Say it with awe John"

"Aww, truly this man was the son of God"  ;D

spindrift

« Reply #4379 on: 19 September, 2014, 07:27:18 pm »
Joss Ackland in Lethal Weapon DEEPLAHMAHTEEK EHMEWNNITY, and Anthony La Plagia, everyone's one-stop-shop if you want an Australian to sound like Dick Van Dyke doing a Manc.

Going back a bit, I've read some scathing reviews for Pride, it's maybe patronising to both gays and the Welsh,  the jokes are obvious, Bill Nighy sleepwalks basically the same character from his last ten films. It's not even that the entire premise is a cliche and you know barriers will be broken down and homophobia dispelled and respect exchanged, yada yada. Ok, it's a feel-good film, but sometimes British cinema paints with such wide brushes it's patronising. Sunshine On Leith worked but that whole film hung on the hook of the music. The last brilliant feel-good British film was Bend It Like Beckham about ten years ago. Richard Curtis can do one. 

« Reply #4380 on: 19 September, 2014, 09:21:27 pm »
Richard Curtis can do one.
I wouldn't disagree with that.

fuzzy

« Reply #4381 on: 19 September, 2014, 11:17:11 pm »
Richard Curtis can do one.

Yeah, but what one?

« Reply #4382 on: 22 September, 2014, 11:10:14 am »
War of the Worlds.  The Tom Cruise one.

It's so much better than I remembered.  Full of suspense, tension and fear, it's biggest fault is that it isn't set in Surrey, because that would be awesome.  Tim Robbins acts up a storm, and so does Cruise.  I reckon if you live in any of the places in this film it'd be truly chilling.

I don't know why I was so scathing about this when it came out, I love it now and watched it twice this week!
Watched this on Sunday.
I can't stand the cheese-grinning dwarf, but this film shows he can act. It was much much better than I expected.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #4383 on: 29 September, 2014, 02:34:40 pm »
Yesterday, Thor 2. Ok, if you like bad acting and tissue thin plot.

Yoday, whilst ironing, Godzilla (the recent one) why did noone tell me that

(click to show/hide)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #4384 on: 30 September, 2014, 11:30:41 am »
Wargames.  Great Cold War era film with a teenage Matthew Broderick & Ally Sheedy hacking into NORAD (technically Cracking I think?) and almost starting World War III.

Still stands up pretty well as a film and the DVD commentary with the screenwriters and director* is an enjoyably informal masterclass in film storytelling. No really, I learned a lot.

As well as all the story structure goodness, I especially liked two facts I learned – when they met some people from NORAD years later they told them that they got the DEFCON numbers the wrong way round, DEFCON 5 is all out Global Thermonuclear War**not DEFCON 1.  The people from NORAD  also said that at the time they would have loved to have had a War Room as big and impressive as the one in the film.

Edited to add: another thing I learned from the DVD commentary – originally the film was to focus more on the almost father-son relationship between the Falken character played by John Wood and Broderick’s Lightman character and a lot of the computer & hacking elements came later as a result of research by the writers.

They also initially thought of casting Steven Hawking in the Falken role but when Hawking asked them “Do you want me for my science or my affliction?” thought about it again realising that that was exactly what they had been doing..  John Lennon was also supposedly interested in the job!

*John Badham – he also directed American Flyers which, questionable moustaches aside and some horribly blatant product placement for McDonalds, does a quite a good job of explaining how stage racing works (the story is as cheesy as the music though).  Interestingly this film also has a Cold War element – there is an ostensible Soviet National squad racing in the film – and they aren’t the bad guys!  Considering this was made at the height of when the Cold War was hotting up again, that was a nice touch.

**This is a film that I reckon Wowbagger should watch if he hasn’t seen it, as not only is it enjoyably subversive but at the point the fledgling AI is asked to play a nuclear war game, it responds “WOULDN’T YOU LIKE TO PLAY A GOOD GAME OF CHESS?”  Think of it as Dr Strangelove for kids (it even has a few sly references to that film). 

ian

« Reply #4385 on: 30 September, 2014, 12:23:47 pm »
Bill & Ted, passim.

Last night, Mission to Mars, because I was bored and unsleepy and I'd somehow missed this (and the KSR thread made me think, come on, surely someone can make going to Mars sound better than a daytrip to Basingstoke).

Lordy, was it embarrassingly bad. It should carry some kind of warning. It was a motorway pile-up the entire length of the M1 of a movie. I'm not spoilering it and it's an old movie, and you just need to know. I wasted two hours and a late night.

Look Hollywood, I can take cod-science, I'm not a socially-deficient nerdballer (it's true, I tell you) provided it's done in a devil-may-care manner. I can suspend my disbelief to the extent I'm doing trapeze with it. But if you litter a shit movie with it, then I'm not. The sins of this movie cover all departments. Below is not a full list of the individual turds it dropped on my brain.

• Needless, nauseating smaltzifying.
  • I've seen more character development in a nematode. Better acting too.
  • In an admirable (and perhaps overzealous) trimming of the traditional NASA bureaucracy, all future missions are now approved by one bloke with a hangdog smile. There will be none of that analysis. They'll go because the astronauts want to. Because Hollywood.
  • A spacecraft that looked like it had been assembled by the Blue Peter team out of discarded washing-up liquid bottles.
  • Even cars have fuel gauges. I'm no rocket scientist but I think spaceships will have them. Even ones assembled with PVA glue.
  • It's true, all astronauts go into space with a stock of Dr Pepper. I am not sure if other soft drinks will detect leaks. At least Blue Peter didn't do product inyourfacement, much to Fairy Liquid's displeasure.
  • Momentum and orbital mechanics. They weren't paying attention in that physics class. Erm, you don't just stop in space when your suit runs out of fuel. What happens when you stop accelerating? How do you stop? With a little splurt of a gas? These are questions you would hope would be covered in astronaut school.
  • And yes, little space-o-nauts, you could have saved little Timmy Robbins from his terminal date with the vacuum quite easily. If you knew anything about (7).
  • I think any married couple will agree with NASA on why it's not a good idea to send them both into space on the same spaceship. Mind you, it was alright, because she forgot little Timmy's vain death within about five minutes. See item (2). I think there would have been more emotion if the spaceship hamster had died (fact: all spaceships should carry a hamster, the only reason this one didn't was because it might have upstaged all the other acting).
  • Gravity on Mars is less than Earth. Even Arnie bounces around.
  • Windy days on Mars probably don't flap tents.
  • Friendly alien, you say? Cool, that'll be the same mutha who tore the other astronauts apart (with special effects that must have looked shit even in 2000) when they had the temerity to send the wrong message. This is like being summarily beheaded for using the wrong USB connector.
  • DNA is not chromosomes. You can't look at a snippet of an helix and deduce missing chromosomes (top tip, chromosomes aren't the same thing as DNA). Human chromosomes. Not monkeys. Not nematodes. With a glance, they can say it's human. Had that scene lingered they probably would have narrowed it down to Ms Shirley Jones, of 1434 Wilmington Avenue.
  • Alien EMP pulse fries all the navigational hardware on the return vehicle (hold on, where's the rest of that spaceship...) That'll be the hardware engineered to survive the rigours and radiation of a long trip in space. But the computers on the spacebase continue to work just fine.
  • Ah, the lovely pause as they rescue the US flag from the Martian dirt. I'm surprised they didn't unearth an entire band to play the anthem while they stood to attention and saluted. See (1). Flag also flaps vigorously in that strong Martian breeze.

Oh there's more. I'm only doing this to extract some value from my wasted late night. In the end the alien cried. I know why. The entire thing, the script, the acting, the soundtrack, the direction were off-kilter. Worst still, and the cardinal crime of Mars capers, it was dull, dull, dull.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4386 on: 30 September, 2014, 01:10:33 pm »
Wargames.  Great Cold War era film with a teenage Matthew Broderick & Ally Sheedy hacking into NORAD (technically Cracking I think?) and almost starting World War III.

Still stands up pretty well as a film and the DVD commentary with the screenwriters and director* is an enjoyably informal masterclass in film storytelling. No really, I learned a lot.

The computer stuff is of course silly (not least that you can't wardial[1] with an acoustic coupler modem[2]), but they got in some nice nods to the techniques used in the heyday of cracking and phone phreaking.  This was a time when people genuinely believed that a hacker armed with nothing more than a payphone could start a nuclear war.

Anyway, there's a straight-to-DVD sequel to Wargames.  It's not a shade on the original, but has some nice references, including a cameo by WOPR and some 5.25" floppy disks.  Good for a giggle.

[1] The term for iteratively dialling a list of phone numbers to see what you get was named after the film.  Hence derivatives like 'wardrive'.
[2] Film storytellying, of course.  In the 80s, most of the audience knew nothing about computers, let alone what a modem was.  A box that visually allows the computer to make a phone call saves a lot of explanation.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4387 on: 30 September, 2014, 01:14:56 pm »
Windy days on Mars probably don't flap tents.

Didn't one of our robotic overlords discover that - unexpectedly - they do flap parachutes?

ETA: http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?release=2013-121

I wouldn't let Mission to Mars off for accidentally getting that right, though.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4388 on: 30 September, 2014, 01:36:24 pm »
[Wargames.]

After driving past Cheyenne Mountain on Friday I needed to find out what it was officially called and found to my displeasure that it is no longer in use as a SEEKRIT Bunker and only has a skeleton maintenance staff these days ???  This is teh suxx0r.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4389 on: 30 September, 2014, 01:39:24 pm »
[Wargames.]

After driving past Cheyenne Mountain on Friday I needed to find out what it was officially called and found to my displeasure that it is no longer in use as a SEEKRIT Bunker and only has a skeleton maintenance staff these days ???  This is teh suxx0r.

The Bush administration cut funding to the Stargate Program[me].

« Reply #4390 on: 30 September, 2014, 01:39:31 pm »
[Wargames.]

That's just what they want you to think.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #4391 on: 30 September, 2014, 02:07:59 pm »
[Wargames.]

That's just what they want you to think.

Hah!  Next you'll be telling me that this:

is a fake.

I suppose aliens can be flat-packed for transport, like IKEA furniture.  I bet they all have names that sound outlandish to the BRITISH ear too.

ian

« Reply #4392 on: 30 September, 2014, 02:25:41 pm »
Windy days on Mars probably don't flap tents.

Didn't one of our robotic overlords discover that - unexpectedly - they do flap parachutes?

ETA: http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?release=2013-121

I wouldn't let Mission to Mars off for accidentally getting that right, though.

Yeah, but even if, that tent must have been pressurised to support Mr Cheadle's breathing habit and all those luscious plants (I can only assume from the beard and frenzied expression that he'd dedicated his year on Mars to growing some serious weed). Thus it would have been as rigid as a balloon and not flapping like grandma's pants on a washing line.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4393 on: 30 September, 2014, 02:51:25 pm »
I must admit I've recycled most of the neurons devoted to said film, and couldn't recall the details.

ian

« Reply #4394 on: 30 September, 2014, 03:14:29 pm »
I must admit I've recycled most of the neurons devoted to said film, and couldn't recall the details.

Sadly, Ridley Scott did. I realise now that his galaxy-sized turd pile Prometheus stole the already nth-hand plot.

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #4395 on: 30 September, 2014, 03:23:16 pm »

The computer stuff is of course silly (not least that you can't wardial[1] with an acoustic coupler modem[2]), but they got in some nice nods to the techniques used in the heyday of cracking and phone phreaking.  This was a time when people genuinely believed that a hacker armed with nothing more than a payphone could start a nuclear war.

Anyway, there's a straight-to-DVD sequel to Wargames.  It's not a shade on the original, but has some nice references, including a cameo by WOPR and some 5.25" floppy disks.  Good for a giggle.

[1] The term for iteratively dialling a list of phone numbers to see what you get was named after the film.  Hence derivatives like 'wardrive'.
[2] Film storytellying, of course.  In the 80s, most of the audience knew nothing about computers, let alone what a modem was.  A box that visually allows the computer to make a phone call saves a lot of explanation.

The speech synthesis was fun too – tech available to the production crew wasn’t good enough, so they got John Wood to read the computer dialogue sentences backwards to remove natural rhythm then messed around with them a bit and re-ordered words, s      p     e    e    d  i ng up & sl o w  i   n   g      d    o     w      n  words here and there.  I used to be a lot more interested in both computers and linguistics, so speech synthesis is something I was fascinated with.

There was also a nice attention to detail on the War Room screens too, where the images shown were on 26 different synched movie projectors and the images shown in the film were what the actors saw – this would probably be CGIed in later these days.

It’s interesting (to me at least) listening to director commentaries and hearing what after the more widespread use of CGI they consider they “Wouldn’t be allowed to do these days” – one of the most interesting was ‘Last of the Mohicans’ where they effectively built a (reasonably) period authentic 18th century frontier fort and then proceeded to do a pretty good portrayal of the siege mechanics of the time, blowing the crap out of the fort in the process.  Michael Mann was very clear that due to the cost he would have to do this as CGI now. Pity, because it looks amazing and those are effects that don’t date.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4396 on: 30 September, 2014, 08:43:13 pm »
It’s interesting (to me at least) listening to director commentaries and hearing what after the more widespread use of CGI they consider they “Wouldn’t be allowed to do these days” – one of the most interesting was ‘Last of the Mohicans’ where they effectively built a (reasonably) period authentic 18th century frontier fort and then proceeded to do a pretty good portrayal of the siege mechanics of the time, blowing the crap out of the fort in the process.  Michael Mann was very clear that due to the cost he would have to do this as CGI now. Pity, because it looks amazing and those are effects that don’t date.

Which is why we'll never get a fourth Indiana Jones film...

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #4397 on: 01 October, 2014, 12:32:09 am »

Does "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" not count, then?  It probably shouldn't...

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #4398 on: 01 October, 2014, 09:45:06 am »

Does "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" not count, then?  It probably shouldn't...

<weaselsplain>

I believe Kim was riffing on this:

</weaselsplain>

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #4399 on: 01 October, 2014, 10:49:01 am »
All becomes clear, like a glass hummingbird.