Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 951955 times)

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #6850 on: 28 December, 2016, 01:45:14 pm »
Last night, 'cos Boxing Day, Eczemas, etc., we thought Les Misérables might be palatable (Russell Crowe in a musical, zeece vee must see etc.) Dear Lord it was pitiful.

I lasted less than five minutes! It was awful.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #6851 on: 28 December, 2016, 01:47:23 pm »
There's a clue in the name  ;D
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #6852 on: 28 December, 2016, 01:54:41 pm »

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6853 on: 28 December, 2016, 04:31:23 pm »
Yeah, and not exactly good material for a muzakel.  Now awaiting the muzaked version of In Cold Blood with John Hurt as lead soprano, if 2016 doesn't get him first.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ian

« Reply #6854 on: 28 December, 2016, 05:19:27 pm »
DH5 had ridiculous physics too, notably the time machine that allowed Bruce and Junior to drive from Moscow to the middle of Ukraine in ten minutes.

DH5 was awful. I was really excited and it snatched that excitement and got completely medieval on its ass. There should be death sentences issued for everyone concerned, I've no idea how you take something with the pedigree of Die Hard – the scripts effectively write themselves for gawd's sake – and completely and utterly fuck it up.

In the pecking order, DH1 through 3 are all equally excellent. DH4 slacked a little from the quality of the previous three, but as action movies go, it was still top notch.

Chris S

« Reply #6855 on: 28 December, 2016, 10:33:52 pm »
Passengers

8/17 from the Aisle seat.

(click to show/hide)

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #6856 on: 29 December, 2016, 12:44:54 am »
The Monuments Men.

Enjoyable hokum. Based on a true story apparently. WW2, from what I could see.

Mechanic Resurrection

Jason Statham plays hard to get with the girl, and reprises his Mechanic role. Killing some people in clever ways and thousands of others in a shooty, grenady, strangly, blowy uppy way.

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #6857 on: 29 December, 2016, 12:51:11 pm »
The Monuments Men.

Enjoyable hokum. Based on a true story apparently. WW2, from what I could see.

Was it the Nazis that gave it away? ;)
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #6858 on: 29 December, 2016, 01:18:18 pm »
It was the Americans!

caerau

« Reply #6859 on: 29 December, 2016, 01:26:22 pm »
It was the brief appearance of Herman Goerring that settled it for me :)

« Reply #6860 on: 29 December, 2016, 05:38:13 pm »
Rogue One

0900 on Christmas Eve as going to the cinema at 0900 on that day has become a tradition.
Enjoyed the film and good dose of escapism with good links to the original Star Wars film.

Collateral Beauty

This morning and well worth seeing, although check the background before seeing to ensure content (overcoming child bereavement) will not be too upsetting (which is why some friends of mine will not be viewing it). Good to see Mr Smith mastering a 'serious' role.

lots

Caught-up with lots of films I had missed that were on TV which included two good films with that Mr Hanks and I hope to see Sully before it finishes its run on at local cinema.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #6861 on: 29 December, 2016, 06:23:44 pm »

??
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #6862 on: 29 December, 2016, 06:59:01 pm »
Thank you Matt!

Not sure how that typo happened!

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #6863 on: 01 January, 2017, 10:48:39 am »
Coming soon, Kevin Spacey in "American Damage"
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

ian

« Reply #6864 on: 01 January, 2017, 05:22:23 pm »
Jason Bourne. Does what it says on the tin. Nothing new, but boy does that boy scurry, jump, and dodge and there's few movies of the genre that handle suspense as well. You'd think the nitwits at the CIA would give him a break on the grounds the It Never Works Out Well for Them. Nor am I sure of their logic of clearing up a mess with a trail of dead bodies. These are people who, when finding themselves in a hole with a shovel, promptly order a large digger.

Some movie 'hacking' of the usual variety and I'm still not sure how the CIA manage global geosynchronous satellite coverage of everywhere and from high orbit manage to be able to focus on a gnat's anus and detect its most recent fart.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6865 on: 01 January, 2017, 05:39:58 pm »
Galaxy Quest for the third time. Alan Rickman at his best and the others ain't bad neither.

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #6866 on: 01 January, 2017, 09:04:05 pm »
Last night, Alien followed by Aliens, then X-Men. Still wondering where the Senator's phone ends up....

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6867 on: 02 January, 2017, 08:07:03 am »
An excellent Brazilian film called 7 Años, about four friends wrangling over which one of them will take the blame for all and go to prison for 7 years so that the other three can stay out.  I'd guess that it started life on the stage. Fascinating.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #6868 on: 02 January, 2017, 10:48:40 am »
What We Did On Our Holidays

Second time I've seen this, enjoyed it just as much as the first time. Very funny.

Ethel & Ernest

Lovely. Just lovely. My wife was a blubbering wreck at the end.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #6869 on: 02 January, 2017, 10:57:45 am »
What We Did On Our Holidays

Second time I've seen this, enjoyed it just as much as the first time. Very funny.

Ethel & Ernest

Lovely. Just lovely. My wife was a blubbering wreck at the end.

Not watched Ethel and Ernest yet, but I was a blubbering wreck when I watched What We Did on Our Holidays last year.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

caerau

« Reply #6870 on: 02 January, 2017, 11:21:48 am »
Saw Batman v Superman and Star Trek Beyond over the last two nights.

B v S - had very low expectations as I was expecting some sort of junk like Alien v. Predator.  It was a LOT better than that.  A LOT- very pleasantly surprised.  Thought it was excellent in fact and it dealt with a lot of the issues I had with Man of Steel (where I was a bit annoyed with Superman basically killing many many people - yeah that was examined quite thoroughly  :thumbsup: )

Star Trek Beyond-  again had low expectations due to having seen poor reviews.  Again, I found it much better - just great fun as a Star Trek film with lots of nods to earlier franchises.  I failed to even spot the infamous Sulu thing at all (only reminded when I looked at reviews again after) and I loved the interplay between Bones and Spok - probably hammed up but so what - it's Star Trek not Shakespear.
Indeed having seen some reviews that talk about Gene Roddenberry spinning in his grave - I wonder if these Trekkers have actually seen Stark Trek 5 (for example).  It's not like the great Gene couldn't vomit out some crap himself.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #6871 on: 02 January, 2017, 11:51:21 am »
Not watched Ethel and Ernest yet, but I was a blubbering wreck when I watched What We Did on Our Holidays last year.

Oh god... Ethel & Ernest will have you in pieces.

It's sooo perfectly pitched, with a lovely understated English kind of sentimentality that steers the right side of cloying. At face value it's just the very ordinary story of two very ordinary people living very ordinary lives, but like all the best stories, it's all in the telling.

In many ways, the other Raymond Briggs story it reminds me of most is Fungus the Bogeyman - it's the way he captures the essential details of mundane domesticity, while all the big stuff is almost incidental.

It shows great restraint too. There's a detail about Raymond Briggs's own married life that is only briefly touched upon because it's outside the scope of this story. Including it in more detail might have ramped up the emotional impact but might have unbalanced it too - the narrow focus of the story is part of its strength.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

caerau

« Reply #6872 on: 02 January, 2017, 12:26:35 pm »
Ethel and Earnest was delightful.

Seemed a bit like a potted history of about 50 years of the UK in the 20th century wrapped up in a Story about two ordinary folks.  We thoroughly enjoyed it.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #6873 on: 02 January, 2017, 12:48:18 pm »
Ex Machina

Really enjoyed this.

(click to show/hide)

Ruthie

• Her Majester