Author Topic: All about Fish & Chips...  (Read 1028 times)

Re: All about Fish & Chips...
« Reply #25 on: 07 April, 2024, 02:17:27 pm »

...The cod had apparently been cut in half, prior to battering.  You can see the straight fish edge on the right hand side.

It tasted nice, but call me old fashioned, or whatever, but I kind of expect to have a whole piece of fish served.

I'm slightly confused. I've been veggie for a long time, so can't say I've eaten fish & chips in 30 years, but you surely never get a whole cod? An adult cod is a big fish.

« Reply #26 on: 07 April, 2024, 03:28:53 pm »
... I'm slightly confused. I've been veggie for a long time, so can't say I've eaten fish & chips in 30 years, but you surely never get a whole cod? An adult cod is a big fish.

The offering on this occasion was noticeably smaller; tapered & thin, with a long cut edge.

A couple of F&Cs from last year... 

If I search my google photos I have quite an archive of F&C images.   ;D

Ang3 by ao, on Flickr

Angl2 by ao, on Flickr

Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #27 on: 07 April, 2024, 08:41:49 pm »
Just been to New Zealand where they like their F&C (or Fush 'n Chups as they rather oddly call  it) - in most cases the standard order consisted of 2 small pieces of fish which is, we were told, something to with the type of fish and the way it is cut for cooking.  It still tasted good and was about 2/3 the price of F&C here in the UK.

John Stonebridge

• Has never ridden Ower the Edge
« Reply #28 on: 10 April, 2024, 03:03:44 pm »
This pic is of a small take away fish & chips  from The Allan Water cafe in Bridge of Allan, which sadly is about 60km from where I live.   I have been known to cycle there especially.

I don't like food waste so always choose a tiddler. 

Current price £7.65.

I tend to find that fish and chips uniquely among eat out food never quite lives up to expectation levels, even when excellent.     

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #29 on: 10 April, 2024, 04:40:06 pm »

...The cod had apparently been cut in half, prior to battering.  You can see the straight fish edge on the right hand side.

It tasted nice, but call me old fashioned, or whatever, but I kind of expect to have a whole piece of fish served.

I'm slightly confused. I've been veggie for a long time, so can't say I've eaten fish & chips in 30 years, but you surely never get a whole cod? An adult cod is a big fish.

Not these days, thanks to overfishing...

Strictly speaking, the cod in 'cod and chips' is a part of a fillet.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #30 on: Yesterday at 02:38:49 pm »
So I had a response from the establishment, to a review I wrote.  Apparently the cod fillets are all weighed by the chef, so the portion is standardised for all (so the larger fillets are cut to size). Not sure if they count the chips...  ;)   Still not that inclined to have F&Cs there again; will have something else, as generally it's a good eating pub. 
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson