Author Topic: Tour de France 2018  (Read 135489 times)

Nick H.

Re: Tour de France 2018
« Reply #450 on: 18 July, 2018, 04:01:40 pm »
So many pretty areas...still more visitors per annum than any other country. 89 million last year.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #451 on: 18 July, 2018, 04:24:26 pm »
Spottychurch!
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #452 on: 18 July, 2018, 04:44:47 pm »
So many pretty areas...still more visitors per annum than any other country. 89 million last year.

Yeah. 25,000 of whom started up Mt. Blanc, 10,000 made it.

« Reply #453 on: 18 July, 2018, 04:57:07 pm »
Adam Yates will be found out at the end of the first set of mountains. This is the fucking Tour.

Told you  ;)

« Reply #454 on: 18 July, 2018, 04:58:44 pm »

Anyway, Cav won't finish the Tour, let alone win a stage.

Told you  ;)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #455 on: 18 July, 2018, 05:10:05 pm »
Did you see the bloke on the tightrope?

Second day running.  *** thinks this is the start of a trend, and also "beautiful madness".  I think he drank his lunch before the start of today's stage.

The C Boardmen reckon the cutoff time for the poids lourds is about 27:30.  Much hitting of F5.

Vān Avermaet lost >22', Alaphilippe nearly 25, Urán over 26 :o
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #456 on: 18 July, 2018, 05:10:47 pm »
Sky were a wee bit emphatic there, I thought.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #457 on: 18 July, 2018, 05:11:52 pm »
Did you see the bloke on the tightrope?

Second day running.  *** thinks this is the start of a trend, and also "beautiful madness".  I think he drank his lunch before the start of today's stage.

Put the tight in tightrope.

Nick H.

« Reply #458 on: 18 July, 2018, 05:16:01 pm »
I like the way Geraint pretended to be shocked by his own riding. It was "on instinct".

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #459 on: 18 July, 2018, 05:17:54 pm »
The C Boardmen reckon the cutoff time for the poids lourds is about 27:30.  Much hitting of F5.

I think he said 27.15, and I just did the calculations myself* to come up with the same figure, so I'm going with that.

Cav, Renshaw and Kittel are definitely OTL. Groenewegen very probably as well. Quite a few others too.

*stage coefficient 5 and winner's average speed of just over 31kmh means a 13% allowance.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Nick H.

« Reply #460 on: 18 July, 2018, 05:21:46 pm »
poids lourds
Surely TIR? That's the term used by Assos for the XXXL gentleman.

« Reply #461 on: 18 July, 2018, 05:30:17 pm »
That was interesting and entertaining!

I was expecting Van Laundromat to pop and lose the shinyjumper, but Begbie's implosion took me by surprise.

Nibbles, the French Exchange Student and Inigo Teenytana need to give their heads a wobble.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #462 on: 18 July, 2018, 05:30:53 pm »
Big bunch @ 27:25, including Rowe, Colbrelli, Higgs Boson, Demare, Degenkolb, Kristoff & Greipel.  Terpstra, Groenewegen, Gallopin all more than 29' down.  165 starters today, letour.fr showing 161 finishers so far, none of whom is either Cav or Kitteh.  Lawson Craddock is in, though :thumbsup:

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #463 on: 18 July, 2018, 05:36:35 pm »
Big bunch @ 27:25, including Rowe, Colbrelli, Higgs Boson, Demare, Degenkolb, Kristoff & Greipel.  Terpstra, Groenewegen, Gallopin all more than 29' down.  165 starters today, letour.fr showing 161 finishers so far, none of whom is either Cav or Kitteh.  Lawson Craddock is in, though :thumbsup:

Cav, Kittel, Renshaw and Zabel are all officially OTL (they're listed under Withdrawals rather than under the main stage results, except Cav, who probably still hasn't finished yet). The commissaires have applied their discretion/are looking at a different rulebook to me to allow the rest of the late finishers to stay in the race.

ETA: apparently they made a late rule change yesterday so the cut-off was 15% not 13%. For some reason, they didn't think to include me on the circulation list for the official memo announcing this.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #464 on: 18 July, 2018, 05:46:26 pm »
Zabel is now listed on the finishers' page at 31:32 down but Renshaw, Cav and Kitteh look like thy're going home early.

« Reply #465 on: 18 July, 2018, 05:56:04 pm »

Cav, Kittel, Renshaw and Zabel are all officially OTL (they're listed under Withdrawals rather than under the main stage results, except Cav, who probably still hasn't finished yet). The commissaires have applied their discretion/are looking at a different rulebook to me to allow the rest of the late finishers to stay in the race.

ETA: apparently they made a late rule change yesterday so the cut-off was 15% not 13%. For some reason, they didn't think to include me on the circulation list for the official memo announcing this.
Sorry.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #466 on: 18 July, 2018, 06:00:02 pm »
Stage 11: Albertville > La Rosière Espace San Bernardo

(click to show/hide)

« Reply #467 on: 18 July, 2018, 06:26:15 pm »
Mae G ym melyn!!!  :D :D

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #468 on: 18 July, 2018, 09:03:25 pm »
Brilliant!
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #469 on: 18 July, 2018, 10:23:26 pm »
They gave the Combativité wossname to A Valverde :o  Mind you, it's probably the only thing that Movistar stand a chance of winning while Montoya Quintana sticks to their tried-and-found-wanting strategy of waiting until Froome cracks only to realise, usually on the Champs-Elysées, that he isn't going to.

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #470 on: 18 July, 2018, 11:33:16 pm »
G Thomas sounding suspiciously like E Bosen-HagenDaz. Super Nice!
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

« Reply #471 on: 18 July, 2018, 11:52:01 pm »
It seems that ASO have designed a race to make it difficult for Sky to control, because that's predictable, and not French. One method is to reduce the size of the teams, and another is short stages which favour pure climbers with flair, who happen to be French.

I'm in favour of that aim, especially as cycling is competing against football. But what if the other teams want Sky to control the race, so that their sprinters and domestiques aren't spat out of the back. And what if Sky can still control the race, but haven't initiated the breaks which eliminate riders.

The blame from the other teams then falls on Valverde and Movistar, and the ASO of course. Failing a Sky collapse. I don't see how the situation can be resolved without some sort of budget cap. An obligation for each team to field a sprinter, a young rider and a pure climber might also help.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #472 on: 19 July, 2018, 08:02:22 am »
But what if the other teams want Sky to control the race, so that their sprinters and domestiques aren't spat out of the back.

Faut le pousser du côté où il veut tomber - Papet

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #473 on: 19 July, 2018, 09:53:20 am »
<snippage>
 An obligation for each team to field a sprinter, a young rider and a pure climber might also help.
That would be difficult to police because other than the young rider, identifying a person as a sprinter or climber is subjective.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #474 on: 19 July, 2018, 10:08:15 am »
But what if the other teams want Sky to control the race, so that their sprinters and domestiques aren't spat out of the back.

Faut le pousser du côté où il veut tomber - Papet

Interesting thought. I take that to mean that you've got to go with the grain, or literally push towards the side where it wants to fall. I like the double-entendre of 'côté'.

ASO may have genuinely believed that Froome wouldn't be coming, so have been caught off balance. Froome argues that a budget cap would be 'tantamount to communism', and that the UCI should be trying to attract bigger sponsors. That's an argument that might have attractions in the peloton, as it would push up the wages of the elite Tour riders.

Sponsorship is an interesting area, I'm only really in a position to use  Sky and Lidl. I've been shopping at Lidl since 1999, and will always look for a branch in France, as it saves me a lot of confusion. So I've noticed that the route into town usually seems to pass a Lidl. The one in Bourg St Maurice is on the right, just before the railway station. The TV coverage gives a guide to where the Lidl is likely to be, and the logo on the shorts and shoulders remind me to look for it.

The other sponsors are a bit of a mystery, flooring has figured since the days of Mapei. The other side of the publicity equation are the ITV4 adverts. The average viewer would seem to be a gambling alcoholic, with an obsession with shaving and haircare, and concerned about the price of their funeral. 'Where am I going to find £3,600?' it won't matter, you'll be dead.