Author Topic: Tour de France 2018  (Read 135101 times)

Re: Tour de France 2018
« Reply #1025 on: 30 July, 2018, 09:58:33 am »
Do I understand that Chris Boardman won't be doing any more TV stuff? (I was watching the live broadcast but my husband got bored and made me turn it off.)
Did G forget Luke Rowe when he was trying to name his team?

Husband wants to know how come Lawson Craddock made it to Paris when half the sprinters didn't.

Here endeth the questions. May I add my appreciation for Pandemic Productions' take on the Tour. Thank you.

To answer the first two of these questions;

Based on the end of the highlights yes CB has decided not to do more tours as there are other things he wants to do.

Luke Rowe was the first member of the team that G named in his speech, the one he forgot was Kwiatkowski which Tom Dumoulin was kind enough to remind him of.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1026 on: 30 July, 2018, 10:05:35 am »
Based on the end of the highlights yes CB has decided not to do more tours as there are other things he wants to do.

Mainly his work with Andy Burnham in Manchester, judging by his tweets.

Presumably also he's involved with all the sciencey gubbins at his new wind tunnel facility.

Also suspect he's quite jaded with traipsing round France in the back of a truck for three weeks.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #1027 on: 30 July, 2018, 10:23:43 am »
Was Froome just heavy-legged from his already amazing year or is that it?

I'd assume that, if he targeted only the TdF, he could win it at least once more but, given his falling-over record, that's a risky strategy.

A lovely last-second "save" by Geraint on the podium though...."Oh yeah...and the Wife".  I think all of us blokes breathed a collective sigh of relief, on his behalf, at that one.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #1028 on: 30 July, 2018, 10:50:25 am »
What next for Geraint Thomas, I wonder? Given his performance in the TT before putting on the metaphorical and literal brakes, I wonder if he could have a serious go at the Worlds TT in September. Or will he still be recovering?

There seem to be a lot more cycling fans in this (Welsh) office all of a sudden (only one of whom so far wanted an explanation why Tom Dumoulin didn't try and attack).

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #1029 on: 30 July, 2018, 10:57:59 am »
A lovely last-second "save" by Geraint on the podium though...."Oh yeah...and the Wife".  I think all of us blokes breathed a collective sigh of relief, on his behalf, at that one.
Dr Beardy (Mrs) noted that with a several degrees of ice included. I forgot to make mention of her on our wedding day some 34 years ago, and I doubt I'll EVER be allowed to forget that fact. EVER. In fact when I'm d.e.d. and go, she'll probably arrange regular seances just to make sure I don't forget it EVER again.  :facepalm:
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1030 on: 30 July, 2018, 11:01:57 am »

Mainly his work with Andy Burnham in Manchester, judging by his tweets.

Presumably also he's involved with all the sciencey gubbins at his new wind tunnel facility.

Also suspect he's quite jaded with traipsing round France in the back of a truck for three weeks.

There was one occasion during the live coverage when *** asked Nice C about women's racing and Nice C launched a five-minute monologue on the subject without deviation, hesitation or repetition.  I wouldn't be at all surprised to find him doing a fair bit in that area too.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

citoyen

« Reply #1031 on: 30 July, 2018, 11:02:40 am »
What next for Geraint Thomas, I wonder?

I'd really like to see him have a serious tilt at a Monument. He's had top 10 finishes in Paris-Roubaix and Flanders, and won the Paris-Roubaix Juniors many moons ago, but I wonder if Liege-Bastogne-Liege would suit him better in his current physical incarnation.

citoyen

« Reply #1032 on: 30 July, 2018, 11:02:59 am »
There was one occasion during the live coverage when *** asked Nice C about women's racing and Nice C launched a five-minute monologue on the subject without deviation, hesitation or repetition.  I wouldn't be at all surprised to find him doing a fair bit in that area too.

:thumbsup:

« Reply #1033 on: 30 July, 2018, 11:04:44 am »
Nice C?

I missed the live TV, as at a family bash. 

Welsh flags all round, which is understandable.  I actually didn't know this (from t'interwebs)...

The Welsh dragon does not appear on the flag because when the first Union Flag was created in 1606, Wales was already united with England from the 13th century. This meant that Wales a Principality instead of a Kingdom and as such could not be included

Perhaps it's time to insert a dragon (or green)...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #1034 on: 30 July, 2018, 11:18:34 am »
Nice C?

That's to differentiate from his evil doppelganger who, in previous editions of the TdF coverage, would torture his son for reasons of explaining cycling SCIENCE.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1035 on: 30 July, 2018, 11:18:59 am »
Nice C?

There are two TV's C Boardmen: Nice C Boardman who eloquently talks 100% good sense (thereby making the rest of us feel hopelessly inadequate) and Evil C Boardman who does things like recce the end of sprint stages looking for the most likely crash zones, and forcing #1 son G Boardman into ice baths* before telling us, and the hapless G Boardman, there's no evidence they have any effect whatsoever.

* Highlights programme, 1st rest day, 2016.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1036 on: 30 July, 2018, 11:58:34 am »
Now that the Boardman twins have stepped down, will we see Bethany, who will be (9), take their place on the Anbaric Distascope?

That might be difficult...

(click to show/hide)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1037 on: 30 July, 2018, 01:21:15 pm »
What next for G?

Well, he could join any team he chooses as overall leader, but he seems to like the SKY environment.

Meanwhile Froome would very much like a 5th title (5 being the magic number of Tours De France - outside the US, anyway ... ).

The obvious solution in 2019 seems to be G going for Giro and/or Vuelta, Froome goes for the French Ride again. That would seem a decent compromise for all parties, no? Sky has enough amazing climbers to support all 3 races.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #1038 on: 30 July, 2018, 03:02:09 pm »
I do wonder if Geraint could have kept it together if Froome hadn't been there as a backstop for most of Thomas's time in yellow.

Froome is the embodiment of the sense of entitlement that comes from a public school education, that's part of the reason for his unpopularity. That officer-class polish is off-putting to many.

Thomas started at the same time as Froome, is as physically gifted, and is praised for his self-deprecation. But it's that peculiar form of modesty that's held him back. That's pretty general in the UK.

The result is a good one for Sky, as a Froome victory would have been greeted with a yawn. There's no doubt that Thomas will be sports personality of the year, and Team Sky is more likely to survive.

There's a sense in which neither Wiggins nor Froome were ever seen as 'true Brits'. which tells us a lot about how nationality is viewed.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1039 on: 30 July, 2018, 03:20:39 pm »
Thomas started at the same time as Froome, is as physically fated, and is praised for his self-deprecation. But it's that peculiar form of modesty that's held him back. That's pretty general in the UK.
"fated" ? You mean like Macbeth??

The result is a good one for Sky, as a Froome victory would have been greeted with a yawn. There's no doubt that Thomas will be sports personality of the year, and Team Sky is more likely to survive.

There's a sense in which neither Wiggins nor Froome were ever seen as 'true Brits'. which tells us a lot about how nationality is viewed.
Hence Much-Discussed Factoid: an English-born rider has yet to win a Grand Tour

Yes I think it's the perfect result for Sky, as you say - plus the anti-Froome sentiments are still strong. "A yawn" is a bit of an understatement - I'd predicted a lot of unpleasantness too!

As for the "true Brits" thing, I think "us Brits" are split on that. I certainly regard all 3 winners as British, but I do think of Froome as different to the other two. I have never ever thought of Wiggins as anything other than a Brit. But I know plenty of people DO call Froome unBritish.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #1040 on: 30 July, 2018, 03:23:13 pm »
I do wonder if Geraint could have kept it together if Froome hadn't been there as a backstop for most of Thomas's time in yellow.

I don't think so.  The presence of Froome, as a serious contender until the final few mountain stages, kept everyone guessing.  I'm not sure Team SKY knew exactly who was their best shot but certainly the other teams didn't know who to "mark".

I would assume that Geraint as a Team Leader, without Froome adding an element of confusion for the other teams, may be easier to isolate.

Tour de France winners wanted, the ability to Time-Trial at World level and climb Mountains at World level essential.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #1041 on: 30 July, 2018, 03:44:20 pm »
Sky were able to play other teams' cards, rather than their own. Froome attacks (or follows attack) Dumoulin has to chase...Thomas just needs to sit on his wheel.

What you have to remember is that without Dumoulin's mechanical and subsequent time penalty for drafting team cars. Thomas's advantage would have been a mere 32 seconds.

Whilst Thomas got everything right, he also had no bad luck whatsoever. This was a really close race, a fact that will not be lost on Sky. I think Froome will do Dauphiné + Tour combo next year, possibly with Thomas as plan B. There is no way that Sky will base a Tour team solely around Thomas, all other things being equal. Sky might not even contest the Giro next year, at least not with their A team.

As for everything else , in many respects Sky were very lucky that things panned out the way they did. Froome is, and always has been, utterly toxic, and despite ESL's flights of pure fantasy it has nothing to do with which school Froome attended. A Froome win would have actually dented Sky's reputation even further. As it stands he got the chance to reinvent himself as selfless, self-deprecating and loyal team-mate, which in all fairness he probably is considering that he is also a ferocious and determined competitor.

Sky have jumped the shark.

« Reply #1042 on: 30 July, 2018, 03:53:35 pm »
Hot Flatus has always been and always will be utterly wrong.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1043 on: 30 July, 2018, 04:01:05 pm »
<egregious-digression cycling-content="negligible">

Nice C?

I missed the live TV, as at a family bash. 

Welsh flags all round, which is understandable.  I actually didn't know this (from t'interwebs)...

The Welsh dragon does not appear on the flag because when the first Union Flag was created in 1606, Wales was already united with England from the 13th century. This meant that Wales a Principality instead of a Kingdom and as such could not be included

Perhaps it's time to insert a dragon (or green)...

Whereas Norn Iron is a is a is a... fing made up of one province minus three counties but the Union Flag predated it: St. Pat's cross stands for the whole of Ireland, which was a kingdom on & off before themens from over there came in and fucked it all up.

</egregious-digression>
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #1044 on: 30 July, 2018, 05:03:45 pm »
I'm sure Nicole Cooke won the women's (version of the) Tour de France a few years ago. She didn't (as far as I can remember)
get all the plaudits for being the first Welsh woman to win the event.

[Apologies if it's already been mentioned].

« Reply #1045 on: 30 July, 2018, 05:07:42 pm »
I'm sure Nicole Cooke won the women's (version of the) Tour de France a few years ago.
True.  Somewhere in her book is a disgusted comment regarding press reports about Bradley Wiggins becoming the first British rider --- etc

« Reply #1046 on: 30 July, 2018, 05:59:59 pm »
Hip! Hip!

« Reply #1047 on: 30 July, 2018, 09:46:52 pm »
What next for Geraint Thomas, I wonder? Given his performance in the TT before putting on the metaphorical and literal brakes, I wonder if he could have a serious go at the Worlds TT in September. Or will he still be recovering?

I’m really hoping for more public speaking. Quite apart from the riding that has, for some time, really made him endearing.

I like to hope this gives him the freedom to target things that he enjoys too.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1048 on: 30 July, 2018, 09:51:43 pm »
I read in the Graun (so it must be true) that Geraint Thomas was at the same secondary school as Gareth Bale and Sam Warburton.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #1049 on: 30 July, 2018, 09:56:45 pm »
I read in the Graun (so it must be true) that Geraint Thomas was at the same secondary school as Gareth Bale and Sam Warburton.
And Luke Rowe.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.