Author Topic: Reviving a dead battery  (Read 1006 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Reviving a dead battery
« on: 29 August, 2018, 10:33:23 am »
I have a Gemini light with a 7.4V/5200mAh Li-ion rechargeable battery pack. It was left unused for a while and I think the battery is now dead as a result - at least, it won't charge up, and I'm assuming it's the battery that's at fault rather than the charger.

Is there any way to bring it back to life or do I need to bin it and buy a replacement?

It's basically this battery, but in a soft case rather than the hard case shown:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gemini-Lights-Cell-Battery-5200MAH/dp/B00SBLEGA0
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Re: Reviving a dead battery
« Reply #1 on: 29 August, 2018, 11:21:52 am »
You can usually revive dead lithiums by passing a moderate current (say 100mA) though them until the voltage returns to normal.

If you don't have access to a bench power supply to do this, I'm not sure how you would improvise...

Though sometimes just providing any external voltage will be enough to reset the undervoltage protection chip long enough for the normal charger to recognise them again. If you have any other DC power supply (say 5-9 volts) and you plug it in for no more than a couple of seconds, that might do the job.

(beware lithium fireballs burning your house down though)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2 on: 29 August, 2018, 11:35:34 am »
If you don't have access to a bench power supply to do this, I'm not sure how you would improvise...

Hmmm. It would be cheaper to buy a replacement battery. Might ask around though - I probably know someone locally who has a bench power supply.

Though sometimes just providing any external voltage will be enough to reset the undervoltage protection chip long enough for the normal charger to recognise them again. If you have any other DC power supply (say 5-9 volts) and you plug it in for no more than a couple of seconds, that might do the job.

(beware lithium fireballs burning your house down though)

I could probably wire up another battery with a bit of cable with the correct plug fitting on it. Might be worth trying. And I'll do it in the (detached) garage...

Thanks for the advice.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #3 on: 30 August, 2018, 07:17:45 am »
I've just revived 2 NiMH 12V battery packs for a De Walt drill.   Neither would charge, but now one's showing 13V and the other 9V after charging.  Both will power the drill (but the 9V is obvs on its last legs).  Never tried this before, but since the drill was about to go in the recycling, thought it was worth a try.

I found a load of guidance on YT, including for Lithium batteries.  Essentially, you connect a good battery of the same voltage to the dead pack for a few seconds, +ve to +ve, -ve to -ve.  Had to do the 9V one a couple of times, but it went from showing 0V to 7V then 9V after 2 attempts.  Further attempts yielded no further gains.

Clearly, and particularly with Lithium, there are risks, and I approached this with considerable caution - bit it worked for me.  I fly r/c aeroplanes, and Li batteries are commonly used, but there is a lot of 'how not to' guidance for these and there have been some unfortunate incidents.  So, you pays your money....  FWIW, I only have one Li battery for my 'planes, and that powers the engine starter (essentially a motor with a rubber cup on the shaft, which you press onto the aeroplane motor to spin it and fire it up) so it's outside of the aeroplanes all of the time, and gets charged about once a year!