Author Topic: The RANT thread (often contains fruity language)  (Read 2959599 times)

Re: The RANT thread (often contains fruity language)
« Reply #15175 on: 21 February, 2013, 01:20:56 pm »
I don't understand the self-service-till-rage.

They work ok for me. I get to pack my own shopping, rather than have some dozy prat drop a bottle of wine on top of the crisp/tomatoes/eggs. I can be antisocial while using them, and listen to my favourite tracks.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15176 on: 21 February, 2013, 01:26:11 pm »
Yeah, I generally prefer them when I've only got a couple of items, for that reason, especially if I want to pay by card for £1.50's worth of stuff.  Where they really suffer is with duplicate items.  The scanners evidently have a long timeout to prevent inexpert users double-swiping, so you have to interleave other items or sit there waving your thing like an idiot for ages.

They can be bloody tedious at 3am when they're in the middle of a batch job and all the database lookups take 30 seconds, though.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #15177 on: 21 February, 2013, 01:27:48 pm »
They work for me TAAW. Mind you, the Tesco ones that say "change is dispensed beneath the scanner" need fixing. Crumpled fivers are dispensed beneath the scanner, shrapnel comes out in a wee cup thing located elsewhere. 
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #15178 on: 21 February, 2013, 01:35:23 pm »
I really dislike the way they've replaced the 10-items-or-fewer checkouts.  It's a bit annoying to have to wait while people with huge trollies of shopping clog up the self-service tills, when I'm only buying a couple of things.

« Reply #15179 on: 21 February, 2013, 01:43:08 pm »
And you have to scan every single item, even if you have ten of the same thing. You can't scan theone item ten times...
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15180 on: 21 February, 2013, 01:46:50 pm »
And you have to scan every single item, even if you have ten of the same thing. You can't scan theone item ten times...

Presumably because the scales aren't accurate enough to tell the difference between ten items being dropped in the bag in one go or eleven.

« Reply #15181 on: 21 February, 2013, 01:55:46 pm »
I like the self scan experience ( I was going to say 'enjoy' but it's not that good) other than when some muesli knitting, organic yoghurt wearing parent decides that darling Imogen or Arkadius is, at the age of four, going to undergo and embrace the self scan experience, and gets them to put a trolley full of a week's shop through the scanner while the tail end of the queue for the self scan till is somewhere to the west of Berkshire.
Imogen hasn't the strength to lift a 2 litre bottle of organic mineral water up to the glass with the magic red light - never mind manage to point the bar code at it FFS!

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #15182 on: 21 February, 2013, 02:10:29 pm »
Google fucking Chrome!  Kindly stop telling me every thirty seconds that various tabs are unresponsive when it is patently Not True.  I know this because one of the tabs you claim to be b0rked is the one in which I'm typing this.  STFU.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #15183 on: 21 February, 2013, 02:17:21 pm »
Waitrose self-scan FTW scan the items as you pick them, drop them in your bag, scan the barcode at the end and go home. Human interaction free shopping, nearly as good as online but more immediate.

Just feels a bit like shoplifting.

« Reply #15184 on: 21 February, 2013, 02:24:00 pm »
Waitrose self-scan FTW scan the items as you pick them, drop them in your bag, scan the barcode at the end and go home. Human interaction free shopping, nearly as good as online but more immediate.

Just feels a bit like shoplifting.
After AWL Jr slipped in a FOB box of Frosties on our first self-scan Tescos trip and we got selected for "random testing" and caught out, I'm reluctant to relive the experience.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #15185 on: 21 February, 2013, 02:26:18 pm »
Slave trader,

When I ask for a more detailed job specification I think it's fairly reasonable to assume that said spec will contain such details as location, salary and nature of the work, not a seemingly random collection of buzzwords and corporate-ese bullshit.

The reason I "didn't ask for that information" is because it should be contained in the spec in the first place.

Welcome to the blacklist, motherfucker.

« Reply #15186 on: 21 February, 2013, 04:00:32 pm »
Hate acronym or abbreviation users.  Many I can decode with adequate thinking time or internet search, and of course many become familiar but more and more seem to be made up every day.  In the posts above what do TAAW, FTW and FOB mean?  I've searched the internet to decode them but nothing seems appropriate.  ICUYA

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #15187 on: 21 February, 2013, 04:06:42 pm »
TAAW is Time And A Word, so a bit of a niche one for prog fans.

HTH IYSWIM
Getting there...

« Reply #15188 on: 21 February, 2013, 04:08:57 pm »
FOB, I misread as BFO, which means big fuck-off, and makes sense, in context.

On the others, NAFC.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #15189 on: 21 February, 2013, 04:09:59 pm »
Seriously, FTW = For The Win.  Something young people say.
Getting there...

Thor

• Super-sonnicus idioticus
« Reply #15190 on: 21 February, 2013, 04:12:06 pm »
BFO=Beat Frequency Oscillator
FOB=Father of the Bride

:demon:
It was a day like any other in Ireland, only it wasn't raining

« Reply #15191 on: 21 February, 2013, 04:13:03 pm »
Looked that up.  Never did like Yes so do not see any relevance, much preferred Nice.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #15192 on: 21 February, 2013, 04:33:28 pm »
Looked that up.  Never did like Yes so do not see any relevance, much preferred Nice.

Acksherly, in my world TAAW is Too Also As Well. It's a hangover from when I used to inhabit Ye Shedde, a newsgroup, m'lud, where people gather to talk pisip (pseudo intellectual self indulgent crap).  It just slipped out.  Sorry.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #15193 on: 21 February, 2013, 04:36:00 pm »

Acksherly, in my world TAAW is Too Also As Well. It's a hangover from when I used to inhabit Ye Shedde, a newsgroup, m'lud, where people gather to talk pisip (pseudo intellectual self indulgent crap).  It just slipped out.  Sorry.
I LOL'd (and I didn't like Yes all that much either - more of a Rush fan)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #15194 on: 21 February, 2013, 04:39:03 pm »
*Not a progger.  Not at all.*
Getting there...

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #15195 on: 21 February, 2013, 04:39:25 pm »
It is simpler than it looks.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org

« Reply #15197 on: 21 February, 2013, 05:15:41 pm »
ftw
That's the one I use to look things up on.  The problem can be deciding which meaning is applicable.   

There are some threads I cannot be bothered to read because they use many abbreviations which make them incomprehensible to me.  I should really stick to the parts of the forum which relate to cycling - that's meant in a light hearted way BTW.

« Reply #15198 on: 21 February, 2013, 05:51:49 pm »
FOB?
Fuel on board. But perhaps not in this context.

Rants... had some massive ones at work. Cunningly turned into crew reports. Why waste rage?  :demon:  :smug:

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #15199 on: 21 February, 2013, 06:03:04 pm »
Remotely Accessible Note Taking System?
It is simpler than it looks.