Author Topic: Milk in a Bag!  (Read 2379 times)

Mike J

• Guinea Pig Person
Milk in a Bag!
« on: 25 September, 2008, 10:37:12 pm »
We went shopping today and instead of buying a great big plastic carton of milk - we bought some in a bag (and a jug too).  Seems like a good way to reduce waste :thumbsup:

RJ

• Droll rat
Re: Milk in a Bag!
« Reply #1 on: 25 September, 2008, 10:42:32 pm »
My father's office used to get milk delivered in bags - oh - years ago.  Pints of milk in polythene bags.  Delivered through the letterbox  :-\

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #2 on: 25 September, 2008, 10:46:58 pm »
We used to have milk in bags in Denmark when I was a wee nipper. And a jug to hold the bag in place so you could easy pour the milk.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #3 on: 26 September, 2008, 07:51:33 am »
Or even better than that, they could sell it in re-usable glass bottles thus reducing waste even further.  Oh, hang on..
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4 on: 26 September, 2008, 08:30:11 am »
Or even better than that, they could sell it in re-usable glass bottles thus reducing waste even further.  Oh, hang on..

I still get my milk in reusable glass bottles. It is not as ideal as one might think. The milk does not always last as long as milk from a supermarket, the milkman sometimes forgets to call and it's 59p per pint.

I can't see our milkman continuing much longer but we'll use his services for now.

They had milk in bags in Israel in the 1980s. I don't know if they still do; my parents get ordinary waxed paper cartons though.

« Reply #5 on: 27 September, 2008, 02:59:53 pm »
Was not uncommon I believe when I was in Morocco.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6 on: 27 September, 2008, 04:16:11 pm »
Polythene (nylon? some form of plastic, anyway) bags are the normal containers for milk in both Poland and India. Cartons tend to cost rather more in both places. However, we buy milk in waxed-paper bags (maybe foil backed, I'll have a look when I get home) for just a tad more than the polybag price (13 rupees as against 10 for a half litre, if you want to know), as we find the stuff in plastic bags often goes off within a day. Don't know if that's due to the packaging or inefficient pasteurisation though - the stuff we buy now is UHT, I think.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Jezza

« Reply #7 on: 27 September, 2008, 06:20:49 pm »
We used to get milk in bags in Bulgaria. Frozen solid in wintertime.

gordon taylor

« Reply #8 on: 27 September, 2008, 06:37:10 pm »
We had milk in plastic bags in Glasgow way back in the seventies, I think. I clearly remember the blue plastic jug into which the bags fittted.

Handy tip: snip the corner off the bag AFTER you put it in the jug, or Mum will shout at you.   :-[

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #9 on: 27 September, 2008, 08:54:24 pm »
They were common in NZ until fairly recently, bought frozen and defrosted as needed.

« Reply #10 on: 27 September, 2008, 09:32:11 pm »
We had milk in plastic bags in Glasgow way back in the seventies
drinking the milk straight out of the bag was a bit of an acquired art, iirc ;D