Author Topic: Shed roof: stirling board or ply?  (Read 5606 times)

a lower gear

• Carmarthenshire - "Not ALWAYS raining!"
Shed roof: stirling board or ply?
« on: 19 April, 2013, 10:12:41 pm »
Got a 9ft x 14ft block-built shed; current flat roof of cheap 1980s chip board with 2 layers of torch-on felt  (plus two later layers of cold bitumen felt that I've put on over the years) has failed and gone impressively soggy over the winter.

This spring's job is to replace the wall plate, all the joists (due to beginings of worm) and the roof, and to replace the rotten wooden weather boards with pvc. Only re-usable parts are the pvc guttering and downpipe that I put on a few years ago.

For the decking I'm tempted by sterling board as its cheaper than ply and I've heard some people talk-up stirling board as being every bit as good as ply but cheaper. What's the feeling in this parish?

Re: Shed roof: stirling board or ply?
« Reply #1 on: 19 April, 2013, 10:15:51 pm »
stirling board with corrugated bitumen sheet would be a good long lasting option, forget felt!

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #2 on: 19 April, 2013, 10:18:22 pm »
On my old garage I put on wet & boil proof ply but if you do a good job of felting (I bought cold ahesive) then the sterling board should do. I bought 18mm ply but cocked up on the felt nials - 22mm nails... :0( Putting felt on with a blow torch looks a lot neater than cold adhesive.
@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

« Reply #3 on: 20 April, 2013, 09:33:37 am »
Sterling Board it's what it's made for :)

http://www.norbord.co.uk/products/osb/sterling-roofdek

« Reply #4 on: 20 April, 2013, 09:34:31 am »
What sleepy said
<i>Marmite slave</i>

a lower gear

• Carmarthenshire - "Not ALWAYS raining!"
« Reply #5 on: 20 April, 2013, 08:13:32 pm »
stirling board with corrugated bitumen sheet would be a good long lasting option, forget felt!

I should have stated that its a 'flat' roof: 2in. fall in 9ft, and that I live in a very exposed maritime location with frequent gales. Corrugated bitumen sheet is stated to be suitable for 7deg. to 85 deg.

« Reply #6 on: 22 April, 2013, 02:04:51 pm »
Either get it fibre-glassed or else go for a steeper slope is my suggestion.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #7 on: 22 April, 2013, 02:08:50 pm »
yes. 2" in 9ft is far too shallow.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

LEE

« Reply #8 on: 23 April, 2013, 04:25:04 pm »
We had our huge (flat) garage roof covered in Firestone EPDM "rubber" (same grade as car tyres).

Highly recommended.

Like this stuff I assume http://www.rubba-seal.co.uk/

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #9 on: 24 April, 2013, 08:09:19 am »
Yes, EPDM flat roofing is indeed the future.  This is what my workshop will get if and when the home done GRP roofing ever fails (24 years so far, and no sign of degradation).
Wombat