Author Topic: Preppers and prepping tendencies  (Read 21498 times)

Re: Preppers and prepping tendencies
« Reply #75 on: 23 January, 2019, 08:04:39 am »
I sometimes wonder how hundreds of French tourists don't get arrested in London. It seems like every French person carries an Opinel and whips it out whenever they are eating an apple or whatever. The lock ring on them makes them illegal (stupidly) as a carry in the UK.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #76 on: 23 January, 2019, 11:17:12 am »
My Opinel lives in my bike tools, but I assume that's a reasonable "carry" reason. I didn't think the blades on the swiss army knife locked. I can't see how to do that anyway.
I had to surrender it when we went to the Harry Potter Experience! Somewhat embarrassing...

On topic - I bought some more tins and long life milk the other day.  My wife objects to it being in the kitchen, so it's now moving to the garage.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #77 on: 23 January, 2019, 11:32:11 am »
Not all Swiss army knive blades lock. It depends on the model.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #78 on: 23 January, 2019, 11:43:28 am »
I no longer carry a SAK or Leatherman when visiting London. Too many of the places I go to have bag searches & metal detectors.  The woman at the Royal Galleries at Buckingham Palace thought my tiny Leatherman Squirt was gorgeous , but I still had to collect it on the way out.

Boots have 2 x 125ml tubes of Colgate toothpaste for £4 so I stocked up on that.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #79 on: 23 January, 2019, 11:49:18 am »
These might be useful reading.

Thread on stockpiling tips by Dan Kaszeta: https://twitter.com/DanKaszeta/status/1076187776918409216

Blog post by Jack Monroe: https://cookingonabootstrap.com/2018/11/15/what-and-why-im-stockpiling-for-brexit/

There is also this booklet put together by James Patrick, which is based on a civil defence document that Sweden produced. Anyone who's following him on Twitter will already know that he takes a fairly grim, unvarnished view of what's happening, and what could happen:

https://thermopylaeco.files.wordpress.com/2018/06/getting-ready-together1.pdf

"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #80 on: 23 January, 2019, 12:16:46 pm »
This stockpiling thing would have made my late Granny very happy, she always had a cupboard full of cans of meat and fruit just in case.
I think it was quite common amongst those who lived through the depression then the war and rationing.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

ian

« Reply #81 on: 23 January, 2019, 12:24:37 pm »
This stockpiling thing would have made my late Granny very happy, she always had a cupboard full of cans of meat and fruit just in case.
I think it was quite common amongst those who lived through the depression then the war and rationing.

If she was like my gran, she was still trying to get me to eat stuff she'd squirrelled away during the war. In the 1980s.

« Reply #82 on: 23 January, 2019, 12:46:13 pm »
£15:99, not a bad price for an emergency stove.   I got one for £12:50 in Blacks , but they've stopped that offer now.    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-CAMPINGAZ-Camp-Bistro-2-Stove-Portable-Ultralight-Gas-Camping-Hob-RRP-24-99/303038398284?epid=1885466847&hash=item468e7eff4c:g:r~0AAOSwXaRZ9el5:rk:20:pf:0

« Reply #83 on: 23 January, 2019, 12:58:32 pm »

There's the thing - we've had it remarkably easy since the end of rationing after WW2, and the fact that things haven't fallen over in the way that they have elsewhere has lulled us into a false sense of security regarding the resilience of the networks and systems that underpin our way of life.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #84 on: 23 January, 2019, 02:35:07 pm »
That's the thing, isn't it? If Brexit happens as planned and we are all suffering but carrying in that very BRITISH way that we do when it snows, then we are all going to come on here and revel in each other's tales of derring do. That is, of course, if Chris Grayling hasn't offered Rogerzilla £14m to use YACF as a means to ferry goods between Ramsgate and Zeebrugge.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #85 on: 23 January, 2019, 09:50:55 pm »
I no longer carry a SAK or Leatherman when visiting London. Too many of the places I go to have bag searches & metal detectors.  The woman at the Royal Galleries at Buckingham Palace thought my tiny Leatherman Squirt was gorgeous , but I still had to collect it on the way out.

Boots have 2 x 125ml tubes of Colgate toothpaste for £4 so I stocked up on that.

Another advantage of being white, female and innocent looking to the point of naivety, and also carrying far too much stuff in my many pocketed bags just in case - no one has ever persisted far enough into the depths of my bag to find the SAK - I think it's been to all the major museums in London. The American customs did once find the scissors in my first aid kit on the way into the country, after I'd failed to wreak havoc with them on the plane, and didn't seem to know what to do with the information, since there was clearly no point in confiscating  them at that stage. They were sure I was up to something since I didn't have any checked in baggage at all, but they couldn't work out what, and due to being W,F & IL, they gave up trying to figure it out. No one has ever tried to sell me weed either. Not even in Camden or Brixton. Or if they did try, i didn't notice.

I am trying to build up some stocks, but it's a bit awkward with not having a house. There are 6 + kgs of pasta and some tinned goods  in storage in Leeds or somewhere though. I'm trying to buy a few extra tins or jars every shop.

I follow my grandmother's adage that one should always be well in hand with soap so have plenty of that. (Old soap lathers less, so lasts longer. Less of a problem in the super-hard water area in which I grew up than in the soft water of Sheffield where she did.)  My mother had 23 bars of soap in her clothes drawers(that I saw, there may have been more) when we helped her pack up her house last year.

We have enough variety of camping stoves and their fuel to keep us going a while. Except the primus, but I've never used that so it will be last resort, it that's the only fuel I can procure.

Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #86 on: 23 January, 2019, 10:09:35 pm »
And the SAK doesn't really matter as you are usually accompanied by a small, blonde weapon of mass destruction anyway  ;)

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #87 on: 23 January, 2019, 10:13:14 pm »
We have enough variety of camping stoves and their fuel to keep us going a while. Except the primus, but I've never used that so it will be last resort, it that's the only fuel I can procure.
Never used a Primus? Right, who's hacked Butterfly's account and where's the real Butterfly?

« Reply #88 on: 23 January, 2019, 10:16:47 pm »
And the SAK doesn't really matter as you are usually accompanied by a small, blonde weapon of mass destruction anyway  ;)

;D Very true

Never used a Primus? Right, who's hacked Butterfly's account and where's the real Butterfly?

I've only had that stove about a year, until last year I didn't even know my dad had it to scrounge! We don't have a petrol stove yet, but I think we have most other options covered.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #89 on: 23 January, 2019, 10:27:58 pm »
...If Brexit happens as planned...

There's something very wrong with that phrase.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #90 on: 28 January, 2019, 01:53:56 pm »
If the current trend for Brexit boxes is anything to go by, it is likely that consumers will rush to stock up on emergency foods such as tinned goods and bottled drinks in the build-up to March 29, in lieu of a Brexit deal. Ironically, these products are also the least likely to suffer from a lengthened border check as they will not spoil. In fact, it is only panic buying that will cause any kind of disruption.
https://theconversation.com/brexit-food-shortages-are-not-inevitable-keep-calm-and-dont-panic-buy-110543

« Reply #91 on: 31 January, 2019, 08:33:55 pm »

Aldi have 1.5kg tubs of Ainsley Herriots Spicy Couscous for £5:99
It’ll be good for camping trips if nothing else.
Good Parmesan at £2:49 as well

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #92 on: 31 January, 2019, 08:44:16 pm »
I reckon in case of real shit really shitting on the fanning fan, perhaps the most useful thing you can stockpile is money.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #93 on: 31 January, 2019, 08:49:22 pm »
I reckon in case of real shit really shitting on the fanning fan, perhaps the most useful thing you can stockpile is money.

But probably not BRITISH money.

« Reply #94 on: 31 January, 2019, 09:48:15 pm »
I've a few Euro's left from my last foreign tour, though I'd not want to be caught with them when the witch hunts for Europhiles start.  A few dollars & some Swiss francs as well.  Don't think the rupees or Icelandic kronur will be of much use.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #95 on: 31 January, 2019, 10:34:26 pm »
Deutschmarks always used to be the cash of choice, presumably euros have taken their place. But that's in a different economy in different places. I don't think Tesco will want either of them.

« Reply #96 on: 01 February, 2019, 02:12:11 pm »
I'm thinking of Euros or veg seeds / trap making equipment makes most sense for when the government fail to unbrexit the food supply by the end of April.

« Reply #97 on: 01 February, 2019, 02:48:47 pm »
I’m pondering taking the trailer to a garden centre & buying a few growbags.  I can probably do lettuce & tomatoes on my balcony.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #98 on: 01 February, 2019, 08:21:08 pm »
Does SNODEH give us a taste of Brexit panic buying to come? Sainsbury's clean out of bread and milk (not even the cages they put the bottles in – don't know whether they'd simply sold out or no delivery came today) and closing at 19:30. It's normally open till 22:00. OTOH, the little shop round the corner that sells the nice thick tasty milk was well stocked.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #99 on: 17 March, 2019, 08:19:45 pm »
2 cases of decent plonk delivered.  It's only going to get more expensive.  If Brexit doesn't happen on the 29th I may have to drink it....