Author Topic: Contador positive for clenbuterol at TdF 2010 - banned  (Read 20401 times)

Re: Contador positive for clenbuterol at TdF 2010 - banned
« Reply #125 on: 14 October, 2010, 08:43:05 pm »

Ah. I'm not up-to-date with my RP's so thanks for the correction.

It's Ned Boulting though.

Thanks for the correction to you too.

« Reply #126 on: 15 October, 2010, 01:08:59 pm »

From what I understand (from the Real Peloton podcast) the plasticisers term is misleading as it most likely refers to some sort of softening agent for the blood transfusion process rather than plastic residue from the blood bags.
[/quote]

Not sure this is right. DEHP, which is what they found, is a commonly-used plasticiser in PVC medical products (where I work we make loads of 'em, with DEHP in most).
IIRC PVC isn't common as a plastic for consumer products in general, and if the various plastic food packages I recycle at home are anything to go by none of them is PVC.
DEHP is a hot medical topic, and is the main reason companies are trying to move away from PVC as it causes lots of issues with drug compatibility in bags of salty or sugary water for intravenous use.
The idea of testing for DEHP as a marker for autologous transfusion seems like a smart one, and if you want to start off with a VERY high profile first example they appear to be doing fairly well!
Steve
The dog did nothing in the night-time - that was the curious incident..........

« Reply #127 on: 15 October, 2010, 01:43:56 pm »
The idea of testing for DEHP as a marker for autologous transfusion seems like a smart one, and if you want to start off with a VERY high profile first example they appear to be doing fairly well![/quote]

Of course, now that everyone knows about it, the smart cyclist will be storing his blood for next season in something else - thick polythene, glass bottles or whatever.

« Reply #128 on: 15 October, 2010, 01:47:45 pm »
The main use of PVC in the kitchen is for food wrap (clingfilm) but there has been a move over recent years away from phthalate plasticisers, particularly for wrapping fatty products eg cheese.

They (phthalates) are probably still used in medical PVC because it takes an age and lots of testing to approve new compounds for medical applications.
FWIW, unplasticised PVC is hard and rigid (think window frames). Plasticisers make it possible to produce flexible PVC.

« Reply #129 on: 10 November, 2010, 08:36:13 pm »
It's looking more and more like an incestuous UCI cover-up will save his bacon:

Contador Confident After Receiving UCI Report | Cyclingnews.com

« Reply #130 on: 11 November, 2010, 04:30:14 pm »
With a bit of luck WADA won't let either UCI or Contador off the hook so easily.

Anybody know how ASO are regarding this?
"What a long, strange trip it's been", Truckin'

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #131 on: 17 November, 2010, 01:22:06 pm »
WADA now say it can't be contaminated meat, they've tested it: CyclingNews.com

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #132 on: 17 November, 2010, 01:34:46 pm »
WADA now say it can't be contaminated meat, they've tested it: CyclingNews.com

Could've been a different cow ...  :-\

... slaughtered before the clenbuterol had had its full effect on "quality" of the beef.
 :facepalm:

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #133 on: 17 November, 2010, 01:38:00 pm »
I agree, it's nowhere near a conclusive test. More like a statement of intent from WADA.

« Reply #134 on: 17 November, 2010, 02:08:12 pm »
It's not so much an attack on the notion of contaminated food, but the exact nature of Contador's excuse. He specified the butcher.
I'd agree with Rhys. WADA are preparing the ground to try and force the hand of the Spanish fed.

« Reply #135 on: 17 November, 2010, 06:51:20 pm »
And not before time!

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #136 on: 17 November, 2010, 11:56:51 pm »
It just goes to show that his bull story about a shit bull is (probably) bullshit

..d

"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #137 on: 22 November, 2010, 02:08:16 pm »
Contador's Meat Contamination More Than Possible, Says Spanish Agricultural Association | Cyclingnews.com

Amazing opportunity to back up a national hero and get a dig in at economic competitors  ;D

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #138 on: 22 November, 2010, 02:15:29 pm »
Contador's Meat Contamination More Than Possible, Says Spanish Agricultural Association | Cyclingnews.com

Amazing opportunity to back up a national hero and get a dig in at economic competitors  ;D

I know for a fact that stuff prohibited in the US by the food agency (or however they call it) gets dumped on South American markets so I would just be half surprised.
Chief cat entertainer.

« Reply #139 on: 25 November, 2010, 10:13:30 am »
Still clutching at straws.
Occam's razor applies methinks.