Author Topic: bicycle-washing machines  (Read 3588 times)

dim

bicycle-washing machines
« on: 09 November, 2017, 08:26:07 pm »
We might be getting a few of these in Cambridge soon:

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/cambridge-news/bicycle-washing-machines-brilliant-need-13875374

great idea especially for those who live in flats ....

“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” - Aristotle

Re: bicycle-washing machines
« Reply #1 on: 09 November, 2017, 10:12:55 pm »
I feel a series of rides to Cambridge coming on, each time on a different bike...

My wife has just remarked on the fact that you don't actually ride through it ::-)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2 on: 09 November, 2017, 10:20:08 pm »
We might get one of those fitted into our garage door. A clean bike every time I put it away!
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #3 on: 10 November, 2017, 02:38:19 pm »
I have to admit this is not what I thought it would be, reading the title...

In my mind I had an image of a washing machine with the motor removed, and the drum instead connected to the rear of a bike. With a Dynamo powering the controls, the rider would pedal the drum round...

You live and learn huh!!
@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

« Reply #4 on: 10 November, 2017, 03:02:32 pm »

In my mind I had an image of a washing machine with the motor removed, and the drum instead connected to the rear of a bike. With a Dynamo powering the controls, the rider would pedal the drum round...

You live and learn huh!!

Exactly This!

« Reply #5 on: 10 November, 2017, 06:47:06 pm »

You live and learn huh!!

You mean one of these.

https://www.treehugger.com/bikes/take-your-laundry-spin-class-bike-washing-machine.html

or these

https://inhabitat.com/cyclean-bike-powered-washing-machine/

dim

« Reply #6 on: 10 November, 2017, 09:17:03 pm »
this is better than a zwift :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRXaJl4i6-k

“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” - Aristotle

« Reply #7 on: 11 November, 2017, 09:50:04 pm »
There was also a "Chindogu" version which although designed for pedestrians would work for cyclists:

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #8 on: 12 November, 2017, 07:58:06 am »
I looked at the calendar to make sure it wasn't 1 April!

Assuming it's not a spoof it's an interesting idea - not sure about possible ingress of water/detergent in the bearings though?

For all that, years ago people laughed at the possibility of drive-through car washes . . . .

Rob

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #9 on: 02 December, 2017, 11:25:26 am »
I can't help thinking that a water fed soft brush would be just as quick and easy.

[/spoilsport]

« Reply #10 on: 13 December, 2017, 02:44:17 pm »
I looked at the calendar to make sure it wasn't 1 April!

Assuming it's not a spoof it's an interesting idea - not sure about possible ingress of water/detergent in the bearings though?

For all that, years ago people laughed at the possibility of drive-through car washes . . . .

Rob

Although now they mostly use Eastern Europeans in Tesco (other supermarkets are available) car park.

Hmm, I wonder if I leave my bike with them and go shopping it will be cleaned for me....
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

« Reply #11 on: 13 December, 2017, 03:57:53 pm »

Although now they mostly use Eastern Europeans in Tesco (other supermarkets are available) car park.

Hmm, I wonder if I leave my bike with them and go shopping it will be cleaned for me....

After a soggy 'cross race in Reading (9 years ago) I had to ride to the station to catch a train back to London. Sometimes the venue lays on a hose but in this case I don't remember any showers let alone a hose. Paid some Polish guys at a hand car wash to blast off the mud.

« Reply #12 on: 13 December, 2017, 04:50:10 pm »
After a soggy 'cross race in Reading (9 years ago) I had to ride to the station to catch a train back to London. Sometimes the venue lays on a hose but in this case I don't remember any showers let alone a hose. Paid some Polish guys at a hand car wash to blast off the mud.

Did they clean your bike too, while there were at it ?

« Reply #13 on: 14 December, 2017, 08:16:05 am »

Did they clean your bike too, while there were at it ?

They did too!